Quantcast Video player with analog output? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
08-30-2019, 10:38 AM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hello.

I am trying to figure out if there is a device that would be able to play various formats and resolutions of video (until someone properly recomends me what format should I use for mastering in other thread) and has analog output of S-video and audio, connectors are irrelevant. Built in TBC is welcome. The analog output will be fed to VCR.

Also, if there is a device that can work in both ways to playback video file and record analog to digital, that would be perfect. I was considering to use Blackmagic's Intensity, or Teranex and Hyperdeck to record, but what about playback of video masters rendered in PC?

But the main goal is to avoid several machines and achive playback of video master and analog out withi one device.

Playback from SSD or SD.

Built in monitor would be a blessing, but ref output is also usable, maybe HDMI, so as not to use SDI with a converter to HDMI.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
08-31-2019, 12:38 AM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Just use a hard drive media player with HDMI output and a HDMI to S-Video/Audio adapter, The problem is modern contents are 16/9 and S-Video is 4/3 aspect ratio, You will have to compromise, Either cut off the left and right sides of the 16/9 frame to fit it in the 4/3 frame or insert black bars on top and bottom of the frame to make it to 4/3. Squeezing the 16/9 horizontally for watching on an old 4/3 TV is wrong unless it is intended to be stretched again during playback on a wide screen TV.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
08-31-2019, 03:45 AM
hodgey hodgey is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 496
Thanked 120 Times in 102 Posts
Other than the very cheapest ones, newer DVD, Blu-Ray and DVRs often have USB and memory card playback, and typically there are multiple outputs so you can easily hook up a monitor. You just need to find a slightly older one that has analog output, but not too old to lack support for USB and sensible video codecs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
08-31-2019, 07:04 AM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
USB is too slow for uncompressed masters.

As for aspect ratio, I know how to render proper video, either letterbox, anamorphic, or cropped 4:3.
I'll have to either lean towards Hyperdeck Mini and Teranex Mini, or player with HDMI and then Intensity.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
08-31-2019, 01:54 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
I personally use this media player and a HDMI to S-Video adapter to test and repair VCR's, The player plays every format and has a nice built in 480i downscaler over HDMI for analog complaint video signal, the best I've seen so far. I bought it few years ago, they are very expensive now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
08-31-2019, 02:03 PM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I always forget to mention that I am interested only in PAL-capable equipment. I'll add it to my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
08-31-2019, 04:29 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
I do service both PAL and NTSC VCR's and my media player is a dual format PAL/NTSC, so does the HDMI to S-Video adapter, Not trying to recommend the player but most if not all media players are dual format in both SD and HD modes, in HD mode the only difference is the frame rate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
08-31-2019, 04:32 PM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Most might be dual, however the issue is still uncompressed/4:2:2 playback capability.

PAL user, unless otherwise specified I talk about PAL equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
08-31-2019, 06:40 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
In what uncompressed format?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
08-31-2019, 06:44 PM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Appropriate for media player, render settings are refinable depending on player support, some operate on DNxHD and/or ProRes.

PAL user, unless otherwise specified I talk about PAL equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
09-01-2019, 03:51 AM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,471
Thanked 1,079 Times in 898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The problem is modern contents are 16/9 and S-Video is 4/3 aspect ratio, You will have to compromise, Either cut off the left and right sides of the 16/9 frame to fit it in the 4/3 frame or insert black bars on top and bottom of the frame to make it to 4/3. Squeezing the 16/9 horizontally for watching on an old 4/3 TV is wrong unless it is intended to be stretched again during playback on a wide screen TV.
You are misinformed and apparently never used s-video. I have DVD players with s-video outputs and watch 16:9 movies and full-screen cable TV 24/7/365. I think you mean that a VCR with s-video can work only with 4:3.

HDMI sucks. Always has, Does now, Always will. The world should be able to do better than transmit video with the cheap/skinny off-spec Ethernet wire used for HDMI cable. Just my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
09-01-2019, 04:24 AM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
You are misinformed and apparently never used s-video. I have DVD players with s-video outputs and watch 16:9 movies and full-screen cable TV 24/7/365. I think you mean that a VCR with s-video can work only with 4:3.

HDMI sucks. Always has, Does now, Always will. The world should be able to do better than transmit video with the cheap/skinny off-spec Ethernet wire used for HDMI cable. Just my experience.
SDI anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
09-01-2019, 05:43 AM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
You are misinformed and apparently never used s-video. I have DVD players with s-video outputs and watch 16:9 movies and full-screen cable TV 24/7/365. I think you mean that a VCR with s-video can work only with 4:3.

HDMI sucks. Always has, Does now, Always will. The world should be able to do better than transmit video with the cheap/skinny off-spec Ethernet wire used for HDMI cable. Just my experience.
No I'm not miss informed, You just don't understand how DVD aspect ratio modes work inside the on-board analog video card of a DVD player (which I can explain in details if you want to). S-video is analog and has always been 4/3 aspect ratio by design and based on the bandwidth of the analog video signal of a horizontal scan line vs the number of scan lines. It's hilarious to think that S-Video or composite are widescreen sources or inputs.

HDMI is just a display port and is compatible with 4/3 and 16/9. You hate 16/9 content which I disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
09-01-2019, 07:30 AM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Composite and S-video always carry 4:3 picture, the only way it can carry 16:9 is either letterbox, or anamorphic, still both are 4:3 images. I am not sure about component with 1080 and 720 signal.

HDMI from what i know carries decompressed signal.

PAL user, unless otherwise specified I talk about PAL equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
09-01-2019, 04:07 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Yes, DVD is not true 16/9 for both NTSC (720x480) and PAL (720x576) that's why it's called anamorphic, meaning the picture is squeezed horizontally to fit a 4:3 or stretched horizontally to fit a widescreen TV.
Full screen DVD's made a lot of sense for old people back then because it was all compatible, 4/3 DVD, composite or RF output, CRT TV and all was dandy, not knowing that full screen DVD's (4/3) loose almost 50% of the original movie frame (a nice video about this), As soon as the widescreen DVD's started to appear when widescreen TV's arrived in an effort to preserve as much as possible of the original movie frame the same folks started to hate anything to do with widescreen because of the black bars on top and bottom of the old TV screen, They though they had it all before and now they are loosing two parts of their screen (an old co-worker really believed in it).

So yes there are several modes you can choose without screwing the video frame based on what is the original aspect ratio of the disc and what is the aspect ratio of the TV with some compromises.

Component (Y Pb Pr and RGB) can carry a 720ix1280, 720px1280 and 1080ix1920 HD signals, later DVD models used component and HDMI for upscaling purposes only.

Last edited by latreche34; 09-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
09-01-2019, 04:45 PM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,471
Thanked 1,079 Times in 898 Posts
Nonsense. Meanwhile, recording to VHS is indeed limited to 4:3. Period. But DVD and SD-BluRay/AVCHD are 4:3 frames? No way.



Last edited by sanlyn; 09-01-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Be nice! -LS
Reply With Quote
  #17  
09-01-2019, 11:10 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Yes way, unfortunately!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
09-01-2019, 11:52 PM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Yes, DVD is not true 16/9 for both NTSC (720x480) and PAL (720x576) that's why it's called anamorphic, meaning the picture is squeezed horizontally to fit a 4:3 or stretched horizontally to fit a widescreen TV.
Full screen DVD's made a lot of sense for old people back then because it was all compatible, 4/3 DVD, composite or RF output, CRT TV and all was dandy, not knowing that full screen DVD's (4/3) loose almost 50% of the original movie frame (a nice video about this), As soon as the widescreen DVD's started to appear when widescreen TV's arrived in an effort to preserve as much as possible of the original movie frame the same folks started to hate anything to do with widescreen because of the black bars on top and bottom of the old TV screen, They though they had it all before and now they are loosing two parts of their screen (an old co-worker really believed in it).

So yes there are several modes you can choose without screwing the video frame based on what is the original aspect ratio of the disc and what is the aspect ratio of the TV with some compromises.

Component (Y Pb Pr and RGB) can carry a 720ix1280, 720px1280 and 1080ix1920 HD signals, later DVD models used component and HDMI for upscaling purposes only.
Oh man, first of all, "720i" doesn't exist, never did, never will. DVDs used HDMI for SD output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Nonsense. Meanwhile, recording to VHS is indeed limited to 4:3. Period. But DVD and SD-BluRay/AVCHD are 4:3 frames? No way.



DVDs are inherently 4:3 SAR, BDs support both 4:3 and 16:9 SAR.

Anyway, I was tinking about that 4:3 for VHS recording and I was wondering should I use standard 720x576, or 768x576 because it is 4:3 SAR and 1:1 PAR, I am skeptical whether Intensity would properly adjust DAR for 5:4 SAR to 4:3 DAR. Not to mention I've read tons of stuff on this forum not to use Intensity ever to digitize tapes back to digital, even with proper TBC, guess I'm stuch with DV converter.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
09-02-2019, 03:07 AM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
You're right there is no such 720i, it's rather 720x480i. There were some players at the end of the DVD era who used HDMI to upscale to HD I almost bought one about 10 years ago, it almost looked like this, but I decided to go for a Sony PS3 for blu-ray and DVD playback with my brand new then LG LCD HDTV.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
09-02-2019, 03:16 AM
SFtheGreat SFtheGreat is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 153
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You're right there is no such 720i, it's rather 720x480i. There were some players at the end of the DVD era who used HDMI to upscale to HD I almost bought one about 10 years ago but I decided to go for a Sony PS3 for blu-ray and DVD playback with my brand new then LG LCD HDTV.
The "720i" would be 1280x720i which never existed, 1280x720p on the other hand is still well. DVD with built in upscaler, interesting, but useful only if HDTV, or AV receiver didn't have built in upscaler.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pioneer DV-09 DVDP; no analog stereo audio output? Tasuke Video Hardware Repair 2 02-12-2018 10:09 AM
Video surveillance DVR for transferring analog video? Phthalocyanine Capture, Record, Transfer 9 02-08-2018 10:03 PM
JVC DH3000U analog video distortion? MetallicaManX Video Hardware Repair 8 05-09-2015 06:44 PM
Womble MPEG Video DVD Wizard - Choppy Video Output jbd5010 Edit Video, Audio 3 07-24-2014 03:17 PM
Top PAL VHS player - sharpest, best quality output, with a built in TBC ? astro Capture, Record, Transfer 1 02-15-2012 08:07 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM