Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-02-2020, 03:42 AM
Premium Member

Very nice, fully rebuilt Betamax unit for sale.

The SL-HF860D, was one of the better Betamax units for picture, audio and overall quality.

This unit has been fully restored to perfect working condition and should last a very long time.

Sony Super Betamax SL-HF860D. 7-day, 6-event programming. Top of the line digital Betamax, 2 heads, full complement of digital effects (PIP, mosaic, strobe, still picture art, multi-strobe, digital zoom, recall, digital scan, digital slow, etc.), 7-day, 6-event programming, crystal clear slow motion, MTS broadcast reception, Hi-Fi stereo sound and recording, synchro-edit switch, front audio/video inputs, front display which displays clock, counter and more, right/left VU meters, right left record level controls.

Asking price $550

Shipping rates are based on location, the unit itself is pretty heavy, East Coast shipping will be a lot less than shipping to Texas or Colorado or the West Coast.

Transactions are done via Paypal only.

Please PM my account for order details.

Thanks,
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2020, 06:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Nice to see that you're still around, still refurb'ing decks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

You know this machine is 32 years old. It is amazing the longevity of these old Sony units. This unit needed some work that is why it is going to last. It has new parts. To find parts for betamax units is almost impossible. Keeping the price down because these units don't come with a TBC and more than likely the buyer will need to get an external TBC.

Depending on the betamax machine some of them don't have stereo. It is a mixed massed mono sound. This unit has HI-FI stereo and the picture is better than most of the other betamax machines. The HF-2100 is the best and has a superior picture to all other Betamax units. Those machines even today still run for about $2,500.
03-05-2020, 07:24 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
Depending on the betamax machine some of them don't have stereo. It is a mixed massed mono sound. This unit has HI-FI stereo and the picture is better than most of the other betamax machines. The HF-2100 is the best and has a superior picture to all other Betamax units. Those machines even today still run for about $2,500.
Yes, those are fantastic machines but $2,500 is way out of range. I'm a Beta collector and I don't see anyone paying that much for these machines. Not even close. Even for the better ones.
03-05-2020, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

I am not selling a Sony HF-2100, this listing is for a Sony Super Betamax SL-HF860D for $550, which has been fully rebuilt. It is a pretty good deal considering the repair costs were around $300.
03-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
I am not selling a Sony HF-2100, this listing is for a Sony Super Betamax SL-HF860D for $550, which has been fully rebuilt. It is a pretty good deal considering the repair costs were around $300.
Absolutely. The price on this unit is very fair, considering all the work that's put into it. I was just talking about the estimate on the HF-2100, which is ridiculously high. I'm quite sure the buyer of this unit will be very happy... no so many people have the skills to work on these machines.
03-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Well I may sell a refurbished HF-2100, in time.
03-09-2020, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

What's funny is that $550 was close to what I paid for my SL-HF860 back in the '90's. As I recall, new machines always came out at ~$1100-1300 and dropped to about half after that after a few months. The SL-HF2100 and EDV-7500 were the exceptions as they came out at ~$1500 (I think the Sl-HF2100 may have been $1700) and I paid just under $1000 each for them.

When I got my SL-HF2100, there were rumors that it would be the last Betamax (the last Betamax was the lower priced/featured SL-HF2000) and that's why Sony throw everything they had at it, including Super HighBand Beta Is which I believe was only playable on this machine and possibly the ED-Betas.

*SIGH* Such wonderful memories!

Edit: The SL5800 came out at $1495 and I think I got it for ~$1100 or $1200 in 1981?
03-09-2020, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

lingyi,

Just like the rebuilding of the AG-1980 units that I do, we are dealing with something different, cause these units are being rebuilt. I am a repair guy. This unit I am selling, has over $300 in repair costs, that is me charging zero for labor. This unit is mint, the picture and everything is great. You are never going to find that on ebay.

I am not selling the HF-2100, which I do have, they are impossible to find. I don't really know of anybody that repairs them or even has them. The unit I have was absolutely dead and I paid a lot for a dead unit. (Knew I could fix it). The HF-2100 is the best VCR I've seen.
03-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

lingyi,

Have an old collection of betamax tapes, what I found a lot of them cause the age do have oxide drop outs in the picture. That is very common. A few years ago purchased a tape baking machine, in many cases for the beta stuff, have to bake them. Overall it does improve them a tad. The white specs or holes in the picture that is cleaned up a bit using filters and in post production.
03-10-2020, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
lingyi,

Just like the rebuilding of the AG-1980 units that I do, we are dealing with something different, cause these units are being rebuilt. I am a repair guy. This unit I am selling, has over $300 in repair costs, that is me charging zero for labor. This unit is mint, the picture and everything is great. You are never going to find that on ebay.

I am not selling the HF-2100, which I do have, they are impossible to find. I don't really know of anybody that repairs them or even has them. The unit I have was absolutely dead and I paid a lot for a dead unit. (Knew I could fix it). The HF-2100 is the best VCR I've seen.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as questioning your price. I was going to add that I think your price is more than fair, especially because of all the work you put into it to bring it back from the dead! But thought my respect for what you've done and are offering was clear. Apparently not and my apologies.

The reason I posted was because I found it funny that your price (which I agree is more than fair), is close to what it sold new, unlike the other top Betamaxes like the SL-HF2100, SL-HF1000 and SL-HF900 which are often 1.5 to 2X what they sold new. I was simply reminiscing about the glory days of being a Betaphile waiting for a new model to be introduced and having to force myself to wait for the price drop.

I find it interesting that there's little middle ground in quality Betamax machines on eBay. They're either low end machines (anything less than the 550 series IMO and especially any of the slim series) or high end machines like those mentioned above.

Sadly, when I moved in 2017, I had to severely downsize and literally couldn't give away all my machines, many of which required repairs. I left them on the sidewalk for bulk pickup and someone took them away. Hopefully they didn't end up in the dump!

The SL-HF2100 was amazing, but IMHO, the picture quality wasn't up to the EDV-7500 even with regular tapes. To be fair, the highest quality source I had were Laserdiscs.
03-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

The S-Video outputs on the 2100 makes a massive difference, it is the only Beta machine ever with this feature. Hooked up to an external TBC, the videos I have from recorded TV looks pretty much like it did when it was broadcast, minus the tape errors.

Here are 4 samples of top of the line recordings, recorded from TV years ago.

HF-2100
SL-HF860D
Panasonic Broadcast VCR ($7,000) unit (Amazing Audio)
JVC9911 (With audio mixed from the Panasonic Broadcast Deck)

* Note your never going to get this kind of HI-FI audio mixing from a non-broadcast professional unit. The broadcast units have special audio meter and mic up outputs. The Betamax recordings were normal mono recorded TV.

On that Broadcast deck recorded Pink Floyd's VHS tape of the Delicate Sound of Thunder and it sounded amazing.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg HF2100.mpg (37.51 MB, 14 downloads)
File Type: mpg SL-HF860D,.mpg (25.75 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: mpg PanasonicBroadcastVCR.mpg (65.92 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: mpg 9911JVC.mpg (65.85 MB, 9 downloads)
03-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

This is kind of interesting and with my posts you never know what you are going to get. I am like a creative mad man who too many is insane.

A few year ago wanted to see if it was possible to fix up old soundboard bootleg recordings. Took 3 from Led Zeppelin's 1977 tour, New York, Houston and the Maryland concert from the 30th.

What I did was put the bootleg in full reels. Than on my soundboard mixer, tweaked them a bit and burned them to DVD audio.

The next part was all experimentations and I will save you from that essay.

What I found worked the best after hours of testing a million different methods and ideas. Playing the audio mix on a DVD player (with some DVD filters) in to my AG-1980 unit were you can control the sound levels and and you have a few sound buttons that you can tweak the settings. Recorded it to Betamax on the HF-860 unit, not the one I am selling, another machine.

Than played it back on the HF-860 in to the AG-1980 than to my PC which is an old XP computer with a very old and very good sound card. Than would tweak the DB level to never peak over 0 DB.

What I found was, it improved the drums and gave it a nice bass and cleaned up some of the noise and created what I call a pathway to infinity were the noise doesn't cut out.

Tried this on VHS using all kinds of VCR's as well, but the drums and bass were kind of flat and were not this tight.

These are 3 remastered samples from three concerts from 1977 which sound a heck of a lot better than the Japanese Empress Valley bootleg masters.

Attached Files
File Type: wav Achilles Last Stand.wav (94.92 MB, 0 downloads)
File Type: wav 01 Ten Years Gone.wav (90.88 MB, 0 downloads)
File Type: wav 05 Since I've Been Loving You.wav (95.06 MB, 0 downloads)
03-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

The ED-Beta machines, of which I learned through eBay had several other models other than the EDV-7500/EDV-9500 equivalents in Japan have s-video. Yes, technically they're not Betamax, just as the true professional Beta machines also weren't Betamax. They were Beta machines, not really intended for the home market.

Interestingly, in the past few years there a number of these machines being offered on eBay. All from Japan where ED-Beta and Betamax continued on for a while after the death of Beta in the West. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sony+edv&_sop=12