Wanted: AG-1980P or similiar
I'm also potentially interested in a JVC with TBC
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
You need to list a budget.
I may have some JVCs in the near future, maybe also an AG-1980P.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Free Member

My primary need is for playing back home videos from 1984-1995 on various grades of tape in any of SLP-SP modes. I read the AG-1980P is the one I would want for that.

I don't know exactly what I would like to pay. If I buy one on ebay I would probably have to spend about 300 on the core, $60 or so on caps, hope there isn't any mechanical damage, and then a weekend to put it together. I saw a TGrant unit sold earlier this year for $600. I'd love to pay that much for a unit like that.

I'm also interested in a TBC, such as the TBC-1000, and why they are used with a AG-1980 when it already has one inside.
04-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Free Member

VCR has line TBC, the TBC-1000 and others are full-frame sync TBC's. Here is a link that breaks it down. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Also,
In regards to the capacitor cost for the AG-1980; that is only a small fraction of the battle. These units have over 200 capacitors and some of them on the Y/C card are very hard to get to. I plan on tackling this on one of my two 1980's in the near futures as I just ordered a top notch rework station (and soldering iron) to repair my xbox but everything I've read is that you should plan on spending many hours on this project. I'm going to approach it as a side hobby and take my time replacing them.
05-06-2020, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

I have an AG 1980 that just needs the video heads replaced. Everything else has been fixed. If someone wants a part of this PM my account. You would need to send another AG Unit so I can pull the heads out. I have done about $500 worth of work restoring this machine so that would be the final cost, plus you pay for shipping. This is the best deal I can offer it would take like 2 days to flip the unit and ship it back.

-- merged --

Replacing 200 caps for $60? The person selling that service would have to be crazy. That takes hours.

The video cards on all these units need to be rebuilt, the power supply and all the boards replaced with new capacitors and resistors.

The AG-1980P are better units than the AG-1980. Plus on the standard 1980 you have a metal plate board which was soldered in to the machine. Which is almost impossible to work with.

It took years to learn how to fix these units and my methods did change a few years ago, now I rebuild the entire unit and that is everything in it.

The machine I have here has worn out heads and that is why they need to be replaced because the picture is only medium and over time will be crap. Most of the broken down Ebay units, which in my opinion they are all pretty much broken, rarely have bad heads, unless the machine was used as a work horse back in the day.
05-06-2020, 04:46 AM
Free Member

I will see if I can find a bad one cheap on ebay. I would have replaced all of the caps myself. I do SMT assembly and rework frequently, and binge watch Netflix while doing it. Having time to do it is a whole different story...
05-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

You have to dis ensemble all the boards and rebuild them. Replacing capacitors is only part of the problem. Can you install pinch rollers, rebuild the entire loading mechanism? Replace gears, motors and springs? Pull apart the video card and rebuild it? Better yet just find the video card in the machine. Rebuild the Time Base Corrector? Pull apart and fix the front panel. Understand the different error codes? Above all know what problem causes what? What if you mess up the power supply which blows the boards and start an electrical fire? If you can overcome these issues and more issues you may have a slim chance at getting a fully restored machine together in like a year or two. Have fun watching Netflix that is a lot of movies.
05-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Free Member

I think you misunderstood me. I am not interested in doing anything beyond a capacitor replacement and minor mechanical repair. I was saying I would look for a broken VCR in order to get you a head. I didn't make it clear...

Is there any way we can find a head from another source? It might be a while to find a decent deal on a DOA complete machine. I don't have a problem with your price.
05-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I have an extra head, intended for myself (in case I ever need it), which I'm not overly interested in selling, but would consider doing for the right price. Maybe. I'd have to think about it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs