Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Price

Asking $260 total.
(Includes shipping within USA lower 48, other locations ask about extra costs.)

To order this item, simply post a reply to this post, send me a PM, or use the contact form and let me know you want it. This is the only one available, so don't wait around. I expect this unit will be spoken for and gone fairly quickly.

Payment can be made by check, cash, money order or Paypal.

About

This is the Digital Processing Systems DPS-220. Brand new, this unit ran $3,500 in the mid/late 1990s, and was a well-known and respected high-end unit. It's something you'd have found in a nice studio or broadcast facility.

In September 1995, VideoMaker magazine ran a big article on TBCs, and this specific model was mentioned because of it's "dropout compensator". You can read page 4 of this article here: http://www.videomaker.com/article/641/4/

Quote:
Avoid Dropouts
We have talked about how TBCs stabilize pictures, improve the color and even reduce video noise. But some go a step further and remove the annoying white horizontal streaks that occur when the oxide on the tape gets a little scratched. Video professionals call these streaks dropouts, and some TBCs have dropout compensators that cover up that streak with a line of video. To get this level of sophistication, you'll have to pay considerably more than you would for a basic TBC. Digital Processing Systems offers their Model 220 stand-alone TBC with a dropout compensator for $3495. JVC makes a TBC with dropout compensation--the model F250U ($3950). Another stand-alone unit is the For-A model 510 with digital noise correction for $4700.
This is the unit mentioned in the article. I tested the unit for this feature. It made some improvements, yes. The degree of correction largely depends on the severity of the tape.

Condition

It is in very good condition
, the TBC + frame sync work great, the proc amp works very nicely. The dials of the proc amp turn smoothly, it's like new for these controls. The freeze frame feature works from what I can tell. The switches for the freeze frame appear a bit used, so I'm selling this unit solely based on its merits as a TBC + frame sync + proc amp.

Cosmetically, it's very nice. The rack mounting is a bit rough on one side, but it will probably still go into a rack okay. I doubt most buyers will be rack mounting this anyway. The control panels shines like new, and the chassis has just a few scratches on the metal body from its time spend in a rack. The unit is the width of a VCR, sits under one perfectly.

I cleaned it, inside and out. It's been dismantled, all dust particles blown out. The outside of the unit, including all controls, have been wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. There's no dust, dirt, etc -- it's clean. It was re-tested after cleaning, too -- works great.

Photos

DPS220-Front.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

You'll notice it uses BNC connectors on back, like all other professional gear. To plug in your typical composite (yellow wire) or s-video (4-pin black) connectors, you just need a cheap BNC adapter. These are found online, and sometimes even in local A/V stores (RadioShack, for example), just a few bucks each. Cheap ones run $2 (and those are fine), ultra-fancy "gold plated" about $20 each. You don't lose any quality adapting BNC.

The power cable is included. Not pictured. (You've seen one electric cable, you've seen them all.)

Shipping & Other

Again, shipping is free, included in $260 price. The unit is a bit heavy (it's in a sturdy metal case!), so I'm expecting it to run at least $50 via UPS Ground shipped within the USA lower 48. Other locations will pay the difference above $50, and I'll have to check available options.

I have double-boxed this unit and created an extra protection barrier around the control panel. I want this to arrive to you in as perfect a condition as it sits here now. It should be very secure, even if it's dropped by a clumsy oaf at UPS.

I'm not a store, so there's no return policy or anything like that. This is no different than a garage sale. As-is, what you see is what you get. Once you buy it, it's yours to do with as you please -- use it, re-sell it, use it for target practice, etc. If it arrives damaged, that's between you and UPS (all documents will be furnished so you can claim insurance). I was able to use it just fine, it's not a lemon, should not be DOA.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-30-2009, 12:45 PM

The buyer will also receive a free PREMIUM MEMBER account here on the forum. Beginning next year, there will be Premium-only content on the forum.

12-01-2009, 07:46 PM

^^ bumped back to top ^^

12-02-2009, 05:08 PM

I've dropped the price $40, from $300 to the now asking price of $260.

12-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Free Member

As I'm not perfectly happy with either TBC-1000 or 1T-TBC I'd be interested to try this one out. Pardon my silly question (didn't find it from the specs), does it work with PAL/NTSC or just NTSC? How much s&h to Finland would be?
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Shipping...

I'll go get it weighed and estimated today, for pricing to Finland.

The NTSC/PAL question is complicated....

Although I tried it with a JVC HR-S7965EK S-VHS PAL VCR, and it did not work with PAL, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It might work with PAL.

I've had an odd experience with this particular JVC VCR in the past, where the output doesn't seem to be "perfectly PAL". I don't really know how to explain it. For example, some days I can get the Elite BVP4+ proc amp to work with it, and other times I cannot. Same with the SignVideo DR-1000 detailer/enhancer. I'll use them fine one day, and then 6 months later it won't work. Next year, it's working again.

The signal always works with the ATI capture card setup it's plugged into, for PAL recording. That never fails. The AVT-8710 never fails either. It's the other stuff that doesn't always play nice -- and I blame the this JVC. Not the model, not JVC, but my VCR itself is known to act weird. I sometimes think it's the 120 power (this unit has a worldwide power supply -- supposedly). And not just any 120 power, but the unusually high 126 rating incoming to this location. Even a UPS can't regulate it down to 120, it will hover at 121-122 on AVR.

So my answer is I don't have an answer -- at least not one that I can 100% fully stand behind. I could not get it to work with PAL for my two tests, in one day, some weeks ago before this was posted. But the same can be said for my BVP4+ test the same day, and I used it on a VHS>DVD project just 7-8 months ago (don't often use PAL + VCR + proc amp, being stateside).

What I can say....

In my NTSC tests, it was definitely an infinite-window TBC (multi-line full-field minimum, probably full-frame), with a working proc amp (beautiful proc amp!), frame sync that did well, and it cleaned up both signal and image.

12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Free Member

Thank you for detailed answer. I'll try to find more info. Manual/service manual or such might shed some light into this.
12-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Total shipped priced to Finland would be $285 (USD).

This model of TBC is probably going to be better than what you had used in the past, yes. The TBC in this is more "active" (for lack of better description) than the one found in the TBC-1000, for example.

Price is lower than new or used TBC-1000, too! I'm pretty much giving this away, more interested in cleaning the office closet than fighting to squeeze out the average $500+ resell value. It's your gain.

12-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Free Member

How does the Y/C input work? From the pictures it seems it only accepts composite input/output and Y/C signal has to be merged to composite using s-video->composite adapter?
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Use a s-video to BNC adapter. Don't worry so much about y/c separation on this particular unit -- it's really not needed. It's all handled by the professional-grade comb filter on high-end TBCs on this generation. The ones that do have y/c s-video are often using 7-pin connectors, not the 4-pin ones commonly used today.

Although s-video connections can improve quality under various situations, there is sometimes too much emphasis put on the connection. Now is one of those times.

01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Free Member

"Dropout compensator" module is an option or is built-in?
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM

As far as I know, the compensator is built into this specific model. It was never heavily used, mostly just tested with some tapes, and it performed about as expected.

The previous owner damaged it as mentioned above when removing it from his rack (I'd think Homer Simpson helped him from the way the mounts ook), otherwise it would have been "like new". The TBC and frame sync -- the guts of the unit and the important controls -- are all still fine.

I do need to point out that have pending deal with somebody. I will post [SOLD] if and when that is completed. In the meantime, I'll take names of those who are interested, in case it falls through.

Thanks.