Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Free Member

I am looking for an NTSC prosumer deck preferably JVC or Panasonic with tbc built in. I don't want to record to tape. I want the tape to play back really well. And if the tape is not so good, I'm hoping the included tbc will handle most of the problems/glitches/etcetc.

Not looking for the ultimate setup, rather a setup that can get me started in the field of restoration with passible quality or better. So far I am only transferring VHS and possibly S-VHS.

I've considered going out & getting a Dazzle capture device (meh...). I saw one in action that didn't drop frames like my BlackMagicDesign Intensity Pro does. My BMD drops a lot of frames but I think my problem is not the card - it's my deck. At least that's my assumption because it a piece of junk electrohome where the s-vhs only comes out of the dvd side of things.

So I am looking here amongst all of you with a background in this field to see if I can get a system put together in the next bit.

And if it happens to be an admin who helps me get what I'm after, I will most definitely make a donation to this site as I find this site quite informative.

Thanks in advance.

I look forward to your suggestions.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Be sure to consider some of the equipment being sold in the forum already:
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...le-jvc-hm.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...-ag-ds840.html

Just in case you missed them.

And there's always something available on eBay, too, though conditions can vary and units may not be tested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: fnub (02-15-2012)
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Yes I have been checking ebay for some time now. But I'm not seeing any decks that are in the list of prosumer decks here on this forum. I like the fact that there is a list of decks here that have been used/tested. I feel like I have a better sense of trust from people here on this forum after reading which ones stand out amongst the rest as I know very little about decks - this forum has been great for learning new things.
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Free Member

there is a seller on ebay that has 4 sr-v101us VCR's for $99 each buy-it-now

item number is 330683444284
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: fnub (02-15-2012)
02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Free Member

Thanks volksjager. Anyone know much about a Panasonic PV-VS4821 SVHS VHS? Is this a model to stay away from? There is one for sale locally and would like to hear if anyone has spent some time with one of these units.
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Free Member

that Panny doesn't have a TBC - still looks like a at least a halfway decent deck, if it is really cheap i would grab it.

you should still look for a JVC or a AG-1980
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: fnub (02-15-2012)
02-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

fnub,
May be able to help you, but the shipping to Canada could be pretty high.
What kind of tapes are you looking to transfer?
Store Purchased, SP Recorded, LP Recorded, or SLP recorded.
(Please understand, sometimes you need more than 1 machnine for different types of recordings)
How important is the sound quality to you?
How important is a clean picture to you? Reduced Chroma & Luna channels
Everything I have is NTSC, all my units are professionally serviced and fully working, it may be a little bit different than buying a random unit on EBAY.

Deter

Have a few units (Every unit has a time-base corrector in it, but they all work different)
The following users thank deter for this useful post: fnub (02-18-2012)
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Free Member

Hi Deter,

I'm basically looking to transfer any non-commercial vhs tape that someone would ask to have transferred. The sound and picture are quite important to me as I want the final product to be the best that it can be. But if I had to choose I would choose visuals over sound as most stuff recorded are some sort of live event. I planned on restoring the sound using my Pro Tools system.

What I'm trying to to is get a unit that has a good enough output to my BlackMagicDesign so that the frames don't drop out. That's why I need a machine with a TCB.

What kind of goodies do you have?
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Never had any problems with drop frames on my end. Damaged Frames, YEA !!!

Actually depending on the TBC, it can cause problems for a video. It depends....

The speed of the tape is what is important to know, different decks perform different with the three speeds of the tapes.

SVHS = Best Results in SP mode = 400 lines
Normal VHS is only 240 lines

SP = Best Quality
LP = Causes some decks to get light tracking on the left side & also the right side of the picture.
SLP = Worst quality, lots of picture errors, tracking problems, video drop outs, possible sound problems, the entire ball of wax.

One VCR to fit all, I haven't found it yet....

Every VCR that recorded home recorded tapes, is going to record them a tad bit different. Hense why we all talk about tracking issues so much. Their is not 1 VCR to play all tapes, let alone home recorded tapes. Home recorded tapes are the worst to deal with, cause many of them were recorded on a crapy VCR and in SLP mode. To think you can get a perfect mint copy out of those is kind of crazy. It normally takes a hell of a lot of work.
The following users thank deter for this useful post: fnub (03-05-2012)
02-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Free Member

Good Monday....
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_nkw=...LH_TitleDesc=1
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: fnub (02-27-2012)
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Free Member

Thanx for the link. I've talked to almost all of these guys. Unfortunately most of these cats won't ship to Canada. But I have my eye on a couple other decks that are there on ebay. Awesome man, thanx for the effort - supa kewl...
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Free Member

one of them is mine (the 7900) - and i do ship to Canada
i also have an SR-V101US listed
02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnub View Post
Thanx for the link. I've talked to almost all of these guys. Unfortunately most of these cats won't ship to Canada. But I have my eye on a couple other decks that are there on ebay. Awesome man, thanx for the effort - supa kewl...
Since you're Canadian (like me) I sent you a PM.
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
one of them is mine (the 7900) - and i do ship to Canada
i also have an SR-V101US listed

Wow you're a power ebayer! Yeah this name remembered something to me
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: fnub (02-27-2012)
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Free Member

Power ebayer? Hehe ya maybe back in the day. About 10 years ago I racked my Visa up to $5700 on ebay and had to pull the plug. I came back recently and now I have the super high score of 1. which unit is yours?
02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Free Member

these 2 are mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S7900...item4162e88a0f
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-SR-V101U...item4162ddcc16
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: fnub (02-27-2012)
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Free Member

OK Thanks for that.
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

#1 if you are going to sell someone something why not pull your ebay listing and sell it direct, to me that is plain STUPID to give ebay free money. The final value fees and the paypal fees makes ebay rich. (It is one of the EVILS of EBAY, there is a reason why they frown on outside EBAY transactions, you do have to list things to find buyers) But than again, 80% of the electronics on ebay are junk anyway. But you still use it. I just purchased a VCR and the guy striped out the video cards, talk about a crime !!!

#2 You never answered my questions on what types of tapes your are playing, those two JVC decks only work for specific cases, the picture on some tapes looks really dull, you lose the detail. For examples, peoples faces have no detail and you can't even see them.

#3 The JVC deck is only good on certain tapes, I feel that any person restoring videos needs one. It is still a tool, you still have to know how to use it. Give someone a guitar, doesn't make them Eddie Van Halen.

#4 Both those decks listed above are almost clones of each other.

#5 I have a 7900U, still need the deck and only use it on specific videos, however on any SP or store purchased tape, use broadcast VCR's cause the picture and sound is miles better....

Last edited by deter; 02-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Free Member

im not sure if you where referring to me in #1 but, another user posted a ebay link that included one of my VCRs.
then the OP stated that they didnt ship to Canada (which i do). so i felt obligated to chime in.

yes Ebay fees do suck. but ebay gets me FAR more money then i would ever get selling on other mediums- thats why i use it. ive bought and sold lots of electronics on ebay and never had an issue. i also sell motorcycle parts and am sometimes dumbfounded just how much ebay users will pay for stuff.
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Free Member

I just bought this deck - looks like a gooder. Should be here in a few days...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280835992706?...#ht_972wt_1165

Tags
jvc, panasonic, prosumer, restoration, vhs