Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Well what do u think of the picture quality?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Free Member

unfortunately - all 3 are going to need work
1 840 has no picture and displays "low RF" and the other the picture is all purple
sound and all other functions work fine in them - bad caps im sure.

the 850 works, but has to be warmed up 15 minutes before you get picture.
if you try before that is just freeze frames - again sound and all other functions seem to work fine.
strangely during the warm up period the on screen menu displays fine.

the picture on the 850 once warmed up is nowhere near as good as my HR-S9800U, but that isnt a good assessment because it obviously needs repair work.

there is a authorized Panasonic/JVC/Sony service center in my town. (Gerkens TV)
they are repairing a SR-MV50U that has bad caps for me right now.
if they do a good job and dont hose me, i may have them look at these
i would like to have at least 1 of these fully woking in my VCR arsenal
03-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnub View Post
I just bought this deck - looks like a gooder. Should be here in a few days...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280835992706?...#ht_972wt_1165
Ya I just received my SR-V101US SUPER VHS. Yes it does out-perform the piece-o-junk I had, but the TBC doesn't seem to fix all problematic areas on the tapes (and these tapes are in pretty good shape, seemingly). And the audio, oh the audio... there seems to be this faint, high pitched noise. I'm not sure what's generating this, but it's a drag. Last but not least, SVHS only plays back in black & white - anyone know why this is happening?

So, bottom line is, I need a prosumer setup. I need to find an awesome deck and an external TBC all set up and ready to go. Anyone wanna put a system together and sell it to me? For the most part I'm going to be transferring tapes recorded in SP (2hour) mode.
03-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Free Member

sounds like you got a bad unit.
ive had 3 SR-V101US vcr's and they all worked fine.

you dont seem to be having good luck with VCR's
03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

fnub,

Here is the deal I will offer you, send me a tape an SP recorded tape, I will use one of my extra machines. I will use my hardware and issue it to DVD for you and send it back. If the results are much better than what you are getting, I will sell you the machine, and tell you what other units you would need to purchase to get the same results.

PS I never really liked the SR-V101US for some reason, had two of these units, to me it didn't track some of my tapes correct. Your audio problems sound like tracking problems. HI-FI can be bitchy to be honest it really depends on the tape, but on these SR-V101US units you can turn the HI-FI off and get normal audio, which is not as good, but it removes most of the crackles. You can also adjust the tracking. When you purchase a used VCR it makes sense to do a head cleaning of the unit before using it.

How to track tapes.....

Go to the remote......Hit the SP/EP button when playing a tape than on the + CH - button use that to track the tape.

Volks,

"the picture on the 850 once warmed up is nowhere near as good as my HR-S9800U"

You have to be freakin kidding me......I don't know much about the 850 besides it is a recording deck.

The 840 is the best machines I have ever seen, nothing is even close. Granted my setup maybe different than yours. You also need to learn the control commands on these units, it is kind of a pain, and it is old school, basically using 1's & 0's.

I can't tell you what the problems are in your units, I don't know them well enough. The Broadcast VCR's are build different than the AG-1980 units for sure. They actually have cards slots in them, for example two slots for the audio and two slots for the video.
03-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Free Member

i think the 850 will have a better picture once it is fixed properly.
it definitely has something wrong with it and that could be affecting the picture quality.

yeah - i opened up the 840's and tried swapping the video cards between the 2 , but still no dice.
hopefully my local guy can fix them.
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Free Member

Deter,

That's cool of you to take the time to offer. I'm thinking that if you're that confident in the results, I'd just assume skip the process of sending you a tape. Maybe PM me dsvw@hotmail.com with some more info on the deck you're offering, other components/units that I'd have to purchase and cost expectancy etc etc.

Cheers.
03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've used SR-V10U units that had oddities in the audio. Not all of them are this way, however.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
The 840 is the best machines I have ever seen, nothing is even close. Granted my setup maybe different than yours. You also need to learn the control commands on these units, it is kind of a pain, and it is old school, basically using 1's & 0's.
Out of curiosity, could you can say where this unit stands next to the JVC SR-W5U/W7U, as well as other pro units like the Panasonic AG-7750 and Sony SVO-5800? I've read that the SVO-5800 can give results approaching the W5U/W7U if you use the right tapes (SP, preferably recorded with wider heads), but I haven't read many other comments making direct comparisons.
03-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

AG-7750 is a recording deck never used one. Have a 7735, which is also a recording deck and that unit doesn't have a TBC. The picture is ok on that unit and it will play SLP,LP and SP tapes.

Don't have one of these decks, JVC SR-W5U/W7U.

The 840 would be better than the Sony 5800.
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
AG-7750 is a recording deck never used one. Have a 7735, which is also a recording deck and that unit doesn't have a TBC. The picture is ok on that unit and it will play SLP,LP and SP tapes.

Don't have one of these decks, JVC SR-W5U/W7U.

The 840 would be better than the Sony 5800.
That's fortunate, considering the SVO-5800 seems to command higher prices. Is the DS840 better in terms of tracking, base picture detail, or just the endless features/customizability?
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Free Member

i notice Sony decks seem to sell for more than they are worth.

the SR-W5U / W7U sell for alot of money, and if they break your f-ed.

unfortunately my local guy wont work on the AG-DS decks and it wont be cost effective to ship them for repair.
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

840 tracks tapes really well, it basically has 2 channel tracking meters on the unit. A lot of the features are pretty complex for such an outdated machine (meaning VCR) You can pretty much set it up however you want. The machine is gives a picture like the AG1980 with very little chroma noise. The luma signal is more natural and lighter than what the AG1980 or the JVC decks give off. Than the sound quality is really good. The VCR also has a NR feature on it.
04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Free Member

Hey Deter, I ended up grabbing a DS840 at your recommendation in this thread, and it's in mostly working order, but it could use a little love. Do you know where I could get a new pinch roller and a service manual for it?

I made a couple adjustments to prevent tape curling while maintaining tracking, but the tape path on my unit still has a bit of wobble after the pinch roller, so I may need to replace it. I also need to reduce the luma gain before clipping occurs in the circuitry (I have some blown out tapes), but I'm not sure which variable resistor to turn for that...and my chroma has an low-frequency rainbow haze to it (roaming horizontal bands), so I may need to look at the caps as well. It'd also be nice to adjust the head-switching point...and it looks like the white balance is off, if that's even possible. All in all, a service manual would be handy!
04-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Wow it sounds like I am talking to myself in this thread, these are similiar problems that I thought I had. The white balance on these units are totally different than your AG1980 or JVC decks, it is just brighter and done in a different tone. It totally cleans up the Chroma/Luma and a few other things.The rainbow effect, yikes, I don't think it is bad caps....If you turn the TBC off you will not see this effect. Now it kind of depends were you are sending the signal. I use a digital tuner DVD player, and I was getting that effect. I thought it was a problem, and spent 2 months at a repair shop working with the tech until I figured it out. Yea I figured it out and not the tech, and I had to pay him....I purchased another unit similar to this one and was getting the same effect. However after running the signal through the digital tuner and than to the MV5 recorder those rainbow lines were gone. However in HDMI output from the digital tuner DVD players, you can see the rainbows. However I left it at a repair shop for about 2 months and no idea if the guy altered anything in the unit. He just kept saying I can't find the problem you are talking about. The effect you get is blue lines running up and down, correct? Somehow when I got the unit back those lines were gone running it to the MV5. But when I took it in the 1st time, yea, it had those problems. So I have no idea. I did tell him to replace every cap in the unit also, but no clue what was actually done.....

New Pinch Roller? Call up all your local VCR repair shops......

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AGDS840P.PDF (2.96 MB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 04-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE:

Just found my invoice: This was what was done to my machine, it cost me $135.....

Repaired Cooling System Fan, Circuit Board, Clean Heads, Tape Path Control Heads, Bench Test.

No caps were replaced.
04-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Wow it sounds like I am talking to myself in this thread, these are similiar problems that I thought I had. The white balance on these units are totally different than your AG1980 or JVC decks, it is just brighter and done in a different tone. It totally cleans up the Chroma/Luma and a few other things.The rainbow effect, yikes, I don't think it is bad caps....If you turn the TBC off you will not see this effect. Now it kind of depends were you are sending the signal. I use a digital tuner DVD player, and I was getting that effect. I thought it was a problem, and spent 2 months at a repair shop working with the tech until I figured it out. Yea I figured it out and not the tech, and I had to pay him....I purchased another unit similar to this one and was getting the same effect. However after running the signal through the digital tuner and than to the MV5 recorder those rainbow lines were gone. However in HDMI output from the digital tuner DVD players, you can see the rainbows. However I left it at a repair shop for about 2 months and no idea if the guy altered anything in the unit. He just kept saying I can't find the problem you are talking about. The effect you get is blue lines running up and down, correct? Somehow when I got the unit back those lines were gone running it to the MV5. But when I took it in the 1st time, yea, it had those problems. So I have no idea. I did tell him to replace every cap in the unit also, but no clue what was actually done.....

New Pinch Roller? Call up all your local VCR repair shops......
Taking a closer look at the white balance, the whites definitely have a pinkish/reddish tint on my deck. It's one thing to have a different color tone than most decks (the W5U/W7U has this, and so does the SVO-5800 to a lesser extent), but actually changing the color temperature entirely and making giving supposedly pure whites and grays a red cast is a problem for me. I'm really hoping it's adjustable on the circuit boards, because this deck has some great strengths I don't want to pass up on. It's why I'm willing to invest a bit of effort.

In terms of brightness (well, contrast), I have no problem with my DS840 changing the luma curve: I don't mind more flavors. However, I still need to reduce the contrast before the internal clipping circuit clips the signal (i.e. the TBC's proc amp is too late in the circuitry), because I have overexposed/out-of-spec camcorder tapes that get irreversibly blown out otherwise. So far, only my AG2560 and Sharp H993 handle these tapes correctly out of the box, but I don't like their picture for other reasons. I've found a way to accomodate them on my SVO-5800 (variable resistor) and W7U (presetting remote plus digit-key remote) though, and I'm sure there's a variable resistor for it on the DS840...I just need a service manual to figure out which one it is. You mentioned the AG1980: Funny enough, this clipping is something I can't manage fix on my AG1980. It has variable resistors that affect the signal before clipping, but they're not well-behaved or predictable at all, they have strange interactions with each other and the TBC, and their range is limited.

In terms of my chroma bands, we might be talking about the same thing, but I'm not sure, since you say yours ran up and down: I have an array of horizontal color bands. Each one is about 8-10 lines high and runs all the way from the left edge to the right edge of the frame, and I have them everywhere. They're often blue or purple, but there are red and pink ones too, as well as more subtle yellow or green ones. I thought I saw brilliant orange ones earlier today, but I might have just seen blue ones on an overly saturated warm background, which made the orange-ness of the background stand out.

How do you turn off the TBC? There's no clear switch for that, and I don't recall seeing an option in the menu to totally disable it either. I thought I gave the menus a pretty thorough look, but maybe I missed it? It'd be a shame to lose use of the unit's proc amp and TBC, but it's not as strong as it could be either, so I might prefer to use it with my DVDR3475 anyway.

I think the DS840's greatest strength is its wonderful natural detail: It has at least as much as the W5U/W7U and SVO-5800 (edit mode), and the more I look at it, the more it actually seems to show (and emphasize) subtle texture detail a bit more (like wood patterns). All three show more detail than a medium-sharpened AG1980 and less than a fully sharpened AG1980...but all three decks have WAY more natural edges than even a medium-sharpness AG1980. The W7U adds very minor dark and light halos, the SVO-5800 (edit mode) only shows those present in the source, and the DS840 (edit mode, picture knob to the left) is somewhere in between. Since the DS840 has a little bit more detail and a little bit more haloing than the SVO-5800, the tradeoff makes it difficult to tell whether the DS840 is actually getting more off the tape, or if sharpening alone is giving it an advantage. I'll find out once I add a DR-1000 to the comparison.

I'll call up a shop for a pinch roller, but are these things really that commoditized? I figured it might be a little different on each deck, to the point where the DS840 might require a specific one.

I suppose you don't have any hookup to a service manual btw?
The following users thank capnjacksavvy for this useful post: archivarious (02-02-2021)
04-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

I am not an expert on these units and really have no idea on how they work on the insides. That PDF file above has the command codes for the unit. From messing around with channel 1 or 2 or Mix and than the different settings on the meter it will purduce slightly different results on the play back.

"array of horizontal color bands" Yea that is the same problem

Oh sorry the AG-DS545 has the on off button for the TBC

When I took the VCR back to the shop, I did three videos for the guy using the DS840 and two different VCR's to show the "array of horizontal color bands" which I called something else. Like I said no idea what the guy did to the machine during the 2 months it sat in the shop. On the DS545, I was getting the same problem so I narrowed it down to a problem in the TBC. So I told the guy at the Video shop, that I was just going to pick the VCR up cause it was a problem in the TBC. I got home and tested the unit out, and still got that stupid noise pattern. Than I used my pana recorder as a passthrough to the JVC MV5, and the noise was gone......
04-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Like I said before no idea if it was from the HDMI cable to the TV or the S-Video outputs, but somehow using the method above and maybe the repairs (which I doubt) fixed the problem. Sorry really can't be of help on this other than the problem is in the TBC.
04-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Like I said before no idea if it was from the HDMI cable to the TV or the S-Video outputs, but somehow using the method above and maybe the repairs (which I doubt) fixed the problem. Sorry really can't be of help on this other than the problem is in the TBC.
No problem at all! Thanks for your help. It's very interesting to know someone else had the exact same issue and narrowed it down to the TBC (at least on the sister deck). It's possible your Panasonic recorder was denoising enough on passthrough to eliminate the bands...I'll have to think on how to deal with them myself.

Tags
jvc, panasonic, prosumer, restoration, vhs