Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Free Member

I'm putting for sale:
- JVC HR-S9600EU (PAL) VCR
- Remote controller

Professionally serviced in 2009. Not used a lot since (tens of hours, not hundreds).

Cosmetically and mechinically in working order except for the bearings in the lower drum which make louder noise than usual. I have no idea of the cause or severity of it. All I can say it hasn't affected playback or recording so far. Because of this I will ask for much less than I would normally.

Here's a link to a 10sec DV file, b/w chessboard recorded and then played back in SVHS mode using the VCR - to demonstrate there's no dropouts/problems with the drum

Some more patterns from the same DVD test suite:

Cosmetics and mechanics (my "notes" sticker blacked out):
http://koti.kapsi.fi/kaptah/huuto/jvc_1.png
http://koti.kapsi.fi/kaptah/huuto/jvc_2.png
http://koti.kapsi.fi/kaptah/huuto/jvc_3.png
http://koti.kapsi.fi/kaptah/huuto/jvc_4.jpg

jvc_1.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

jvc_2.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I'm asking for 175€ + s/h.

Packaging will be as good as the shipping class permits. "Economy" is limited by circumference of 200cm. Priority is a lot more expensive but allows for bigger package. As for s/h to your location and make clear do you want to maximum packaging or cheapest postage. Be warned that for eg. Australia the max. option would costs about 200€. Same package to Germany is about 60€, and so forth.

Payment with PayPal.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Very nice.
Somebody should snap this one up quite quickly, if they need a good VCR!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Free Member

Interesting, would you happen to know how this model compares to the HR-S7950? I have two PAL jvc's already, but both come with quirks that would make an addition to the setup desirable in some scenarios. However, since it's not urgent I'm specifically looking for an equal, or possibly better model than what I own (the better one being mentioned S7950).
12-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Free Member

For some time I had JVC HR-S7965E, bought completely new. It was inferior in every aspect I tried to S9000 series and DVHS. Part of that might've been due to mechanical misaligment but I never tried to service it. I found it useless and sold it to a guy who loved it a lot.

Now I have used S8960 which I got off eBay for 50EUR and it works quite well and I like it a lot more.

The moral of the story? These unit are inviduals and it somewhat varies from sample to sample, model to model. With JVC I've had jitter (all models, half a dozen) which I've stated in other posts here. lordsmurf recomended turning B.E.S.T. off, I haven't tried that a lot yet. Anyway this in unrelated because every JVC behaves the same on "problem tapes".

You see from the samples how the PQ is. Compared to 7965 physically, 9600 is a tank and 7965 is a small city car.

(If text seems erratic, I just woke up)
12-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Free Member

Against my own interest I would suggest you look into Panasonic models if you want a broad spectrum of decks. You could say that JVC/Panasonic complement each other.
12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Free Member

Thanks for that, although the S7950 isn't the same as the 7965 I assume? Feature wise (at least in terms of playback features) the 7950 seems similar to the 9600 unless I'm overlooking something. The only real issue I have is the sound. There's a permanent 'buzz' in the audio that doesn't appear on other players. My S7711 is still a bit hissy too, but that's nothing too disturbing, plus quite easily cureable compared to the S7950's sound issue.

Anyway, you may have a point with that Panasonic, so against your own interest, could I ask you to specify/demonstrate what you mean with jvc jitter?

It sounds like it could be similar to some of my experiences, where with or without external/internal tbc/stabilizer function, my capture devices would record segments from (both) the jvc's with apparent 'ghosting' and frames (normally seperated by several others) switching back and forth. Simultaneously no such behaviour could be seen on tv, only in the preview/ captured file. Disabling B.E.S.T. did seem to be the only semi-cure here. If there's a model of vcr that handles this sort of issue a bit better, I should definitely be on it.
12-29-2010, 06:47 PM

They're all generally the same, but each one tends to slightly work different in how it will perform NR, track tapes, etc. That's even true of the same model, but differences between units and exact differences between the various parts used in a line.

Jitter...
- Vertical "bouncing" type visual jitter?
- Or horizontal "wavy image" signal jitter?

12-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
They're all generally the same, but each one tends to slightly work different in how it will perform NR, track tapes, etc.
Sorry, it's getting confusing as to which two models you were referring too? Or are all three generally the same?
12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Free Member

What I mean by jitter in this case is what happens when these conditions are met:
- There is semi-large timebase error in the top of the image. I've seen this called "flagging". (I blame JVC's mechanism wise for this - these tapes play absolutely fine in FS-200 even without TBC)
- Internal TBC is enabled
- Framesync inbetween JVC and viewing device may worsen the situation.

Now, the flagging is causing internal TBC to make some bad choices about "where this field is supposed to start". Field is misplaced one or two lines upwards. This causes horizontal "jitter" which makes the image look quite bad. I've tried some avisynth-wu to counter this but the pattern is semi-random and field order ***ed. Easier to use another deck.

All the bad things I've been saying about 1T-TBC elsewhere, this remind me of one more. Jitter + 1T-TBC = horrible ghosting added to jitter. Datavideo TBC-100(0) doesn't seem to mind so much.
12-29-2010, 06:55 PM

By "all" I refer to:
  • JVC HR-S7600-7900 models
  • JVC SR-V10/101
  • JVC HR-S8600-8900 models
  • JVC HR-S9600-9900 models
Those models are, to a degree, identical in many ways.

JVC and Panasonic don't perform the same, however.
And even model to model, Panasonic S-VHS VCRs vary quite a bit. But there are also less models, compared to JVC.

Forbid I muddy the situation.

12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereellis View Post
Thanks for that, although the S7950 isn't the same as the 7965 I assume? Feature wise (at least in terms of playback features) the 7950 seems similar to the 9600 unless I'm overlooking something.
I'm too lazy to dig up all their features on paper, but mechanism wise S7950 and S7965 are quite the same and don't share much from 9000. Different design.

edit: Buzzing in sound could be malfunction in your unit and not something the model in general has.
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Free Member

This sound problem reminded me of the guy I sold my 7965 to. If I recall correctly he bought HR-S9500 at the same time. He had a lot of hi-fi recordings and neither deck played all his test tapes perfectly so he got both. This propably brings more mud than clarity
03-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Free Member

Do you still sell it? Price?
03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Free Member

Sorry, no. This has been sold elsewhere some time go. It had been for sale for so long I forgot about this thread.
Closed Thread