Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've decided to let several of my prized LSI Logic recorders go.

The Samsung was my 4th-in-line backup, and almost never needed. In other words, it's like new, in terms of hours of usage.

As with anything else used in serious video setting, some minor scuffs to the metal chassis are visible -- it's impossible to avoid -- but overall cosmetically in excellent shape. It's silver bodied, so not easier to notice anyway.

Comes with:
- original remote (and without this specific remote, the recorder is 100% useless!!!)
- manual
- power cord (attached)

Last used/tested in 2016, for some personal recordings. I recorded several 16x9 352x480 (4-hour) baseball games from SD feeds of HD channel, and the quality looks great.

The Samsung is not a direct LiteOn clone, as it lacks mechanical LiteOn annoyances, but quality is very LiteOn-esque. Maybe even a bit better, as it uses VBR (like JVC), and not CVBR. So between the better mechanics, and better image quality, this is one of the better LSI recorders. It has 2-hour and 4-hour modes, 720x480 and 352x480 respectively, and looks quite nice.

Samsung IRE is closer to Zoran than LSI, which is a good thing. Black are black, though it's accomplished by slightly boosting contrast. All DVD recorders and capture cards have some degree of black/gamma issues, and this unit is pretty good. Some would say the Samsung is better than JVC for this reason! (Just not me.)

I didn't like the Samsung some years ago, but with age comes wisdom, and it has aged quite well compared to some of the others.

I've caught a few normal DVD decompile workflows (ie, files ripped on computer) acting oddly with the Samsung files, but nothing that an extra step could not fix. And I only saw it twice, ever. But worth mentioning. If you buy it, and see it, I'll tell you how to fix.

Sometimes using computers to capture video is a real drag.I've long used DVD recorders, since 2004, exclusively LSI chipped models, to convert some VHS to DVD. I reserve computers for Huffyuv (mostly restoration) and now BD/broadcast-spec 15mpbs MPEG. These days, it's mostly for personal hobby needs.

Price $200.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

What is the model? Does it have a HDD?
04-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

It's just a normal DVD recorder, not a HDD model.
Sent you a PM.

05-27-2017, 12:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Still available.