Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlampe View Post
I’m interested in both your ATI 600 USB ($135) and ATI AIW USB ($150).
If they're still available, would it be possible/not too late to package them with my incoming TBC?
Both are available, will PM.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-19-2020, 04:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Updated the available capture cards. As of today, each card is now complete.

FYI, it can take months to track down all the little wires needed. (This reminds me of action figure weapons. Many people have the figures, but few still have those tiny plastic weapons! Those can be a real PITA to track down, and not cheap when you do.)

12-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Thank you for curating all of these cards! I was wondering if there's a difference b/t the ATI600 USB and the Hauppauge clone, in terms of video quality (i.e. might there be a video still samples somewhere?). I dug up an old windows 7 laptop that I hope both will work with, but the windows 10 compatibility does seem comforting, future-proofing wise, i.e. if my old computer craps out on me. Also, does the software come in a CD? A downloadable file? How does the quality of these USB cards compare to the AIW PCI card? (again, if there are video stills that might be most concrete).

Thanks!

Last edited by EnPaceRequiescat; 12-03-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Adding a question
12-04-2020, 06:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnPaceRequiescat View Post
I was wondering if there's a difference b/t the ATI600 USB and the Hauppauge clone, in terms of video quality (i.e. might there be a video still samples somewhere?).
Quality? Not at all. The main difference in drivers.

Quote:
I dug up an old windows 7 laptop that I hope both will work with,
Use Win7 for your own sanity.

Quote:
but the windows 10 compatibility does seem comforting, future-proofing wise,
There's no guarantee of this. Win10 becomes a new OS every 6 months. It's not just "an update", but tends to fundamentally change how the computer works. So every 6 months, for the past few years, more and more hardware has become unusable.

Quote:
Also, does the software come in a CD? A downloadable file?
Sometimes I have original discs, sometimes not. But that may not matter. For example, even if I had a disc for the Hauppauge, it'd be 10 years old. The new Win10 drivers are available on the site, or the FTP.

Quote:
How does the quality of these USB cards compare to the AIW PCI card? (again, if there are video stills that might be most concrete).
The AIW has more exacting values, and also allows capture of illegal "blacker than black" and "whiter than white" to aid in restoration. If you're willing to build an XP box, you won't regret it. But if you're seeking a balance of newer hardware with older hardware, that's where the USB options come into play. The Pinnacles (not just any Pinnacle, but these certain submodels) are actually the best USB, and have Win10 drivers as well.

It's made these sorts of comparisons before:
- AIW PCI = fine steak, good cut
- AIW USB = steak
- Pinnacle = brisket
- ATI 600 = gourmet hamburger

... as opposed to some like an Easycap, which is like rotten dog food.

There is a definite quality difference, but it cane be nuanced. The card chosen depends on the tapes, much like VCR and TBC. And then it has other considerations like OS, motherboard, and even cost.

Stills don't really show this adequately.

01-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Updated.

01-25-2021, 03:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Well, those cards went fast. I'm now down to only 1 each for most cards.

02-07-2021, 05:23 PM
Free Member

Hello! We spoke some time ago regarding equipment I'd be interested in purchasing. You see, my entire house burned to the ground and I have since relocated, thus explaining my delay in replying.

I am a VHS collector and in search of the following:
Panasonic AG-1980
JVC sv10u
Datavideo TBC-1000 or TBC-3000 or ATI-600/etc
BVP4+
Perhaps some Vidicraft hardware as well or anything else interesting.

Thank you good sir!

Last edited by filmnoobies; 02-07-2021 at 06:16 PM.
03-13-2021, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Hey, I just found your post and I might need to get something from you. I've been trying to get things to work with VC500 and it was just pain in ass with no solution.

I started post about it here http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...capturing.html

I have a spare computer currently with Windows 7 32-bit. I can change OS to anything else. My cassettes are all PAL from Russia. What device/capture card you sell that you think will work best for me?

Thanks
05-28-2021, 05:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Updated. Some cards gone, but some added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnoobies View Post
my entire house burned to the ground
I am a VHS collector and in search of the following:
That's terrible.

For capture cards, I often have an ATI 600 USB. Some of the other gear comes and goes. Right now, TBC-1000 and the ATI. I tend to avoid dealing with AG-1980 and BVP4+, too many problem these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahanorlando View Post
trying to get things to work with VC500
What device/capture card you sell that you think will work best for me?
I want to like that VC500 card, but can't. It's too variable (therefore unreliable), too many problems. The cards I have tend to have no problems, aside from potential typical Win10 issues (ie, Win10 updates screw up card drivers). Choice of capture cards partially depends on OS, and somewhat on source tapes. For PAL, the Pinnacle is always my first choice (aside from AIW), a card I often use myself for PAL.

10-25-2021, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Looking for an ATI USB to purchase.
AIW USB preferred but would consider the USB 600 if everything is included(dongle etc.)

Not sure if one is superior to the other.

Spending time and money on a bygone era
12-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf,

With the pinnacle cards for Pal usage, which model do you have available?

Thanks
01-21-2022, 12:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diopter_Doctor View Post
Looking for an ATI USB to purchase.
AIW USB preferred but would consider the USB 600 if everything is included(dongle etc.)
Not sure if one is superior to the other.
Answering this for sake of others reading this thread...

I always include all necessary components for analog videotape capture. It wouldn't be much of a capture card if it wasn't able to capture!

AIW is better than 600. But XP required. The 600 is up to Win7, maybe 8/10 if not updated for the past year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja99 View Post
With the pinnacle cards for Pal usage, which model do you have available?
PM'd -- but never heard back.

01-29-2022, 04:18 PM
Free Member

What is the difference between the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB and the ATI AIW USB? And which is prefered for VHS Video Capturing?
I have found ATI TV WONDER 600 but cant seem to find any reference to what the actual AIW card was
01-29-2022, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closecall View Post
What is the difference between the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB and the ATI AIW USB? And which is prefered for VHS Video Capturing?
I have found ATI TV WONDER 600 but cant seem to find any reference to what the actual AIW card was
I've read all this on here somewhere:

ATI 600 uses a Texas Instrument chip (although the box claims "Theatre").
Gets power from the USB port and needs the analogue input dongle
Records AVI on Virtualdub, and MPEG on CMC (which is not recc since you don't have a dropped frames counter, unlike MMC with the AGP cards)

ATI AIW has the same chip as the AIW AGP/PCI cards.
Requires separate power brick.
Can use MMC which has Video Soap and dropped frames counter.
More expensive than the ATI 600 and would seem that LordSmurf is the only place to get them.
Also better quality capture than the 600 but I don't know if it's that significant.

Would be interested to see a comparison myself, if anyone has/can post one.

Hope that helps.

Spending time and money on a bygone era
01-30-2022, 03:12 AM
Free Member

Inquired about an ATI USB 600 via PM, received reply with requested amount plus shipping along with payment options. Sent payment within 2 hours. Nothing since then. No replies to PMs or email asking about order status. Is something wrong?

-- update:

Sorry if I seem impatient, just wasn't sure how long it would take. I did get a reply it's all good
01-30-2022, 05:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
PM'd -- but never heard back.
Hi, I never received any Pm
02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Uhhhh hello! It took me long enough to sign up and start asking silly questions myself…

Any recommendations for a Mac guy? What’s the reason the available cards won’t work on a newer macOS, is it drivers, software? If it’s the latter, to be honest I just planned on trying with either QuickTime in ProRes 422 or FFmpeg on the command line in one of the usual lossless codecs

But knowing how finicky these machines are even with current HD capture devices, I can already guess it’s a hardware thing, and even if it worked flawlessly on an Intel one, I’d be stranded as soon as I get to upgrade to Apple Silicon… yaaay

We all know I’m only delaying the inevitable purchase of a period-accurate computer (would an iMac G4 do or should I build the PC I could only dream of 15-20 years ago? Because either sounds actually fun!) but I’ve got to start somewhere. And don’t even get me started on the TBCs…

If you’ve got anything I could use, how much would shipping to Chile be? Thank you!
02-14-2022, 01:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachiobp View Post
Any recommendations for a Mac guy?
Yes. Don't be a "Mac guy".

Computers are just tools. I use multiple versions of Windows, Linux, and Mac. I'm platform agnostic, merely use the best tool for the task. For the task of video capture, that's Windows, and specifically XP/7 if you value your time and sanity.

Quote:
What’s the reason the available cards won’t work on a newer macOS, is it drivers, software?
No drivers, no QT, no software, and no real hardware to choose from. In the 2000s, it was a (crappy) DV centric workflow. Few cards outside of it. By the 2010s, slim pickings. By the 2020s, nothing works, aside from HD cards that "also do" (and really don't) SD video.

Quote:
and even if it worked flawlessly on an Intel one, I’d be stranded as soon as I get to upgrade to Apple Silicon… yaaay
This started long before the M1. All the M1 did was further drive a stake into the heart of Mac video capture.

Quote:
We all know I’m only delaying the inevitable purchase of a period-accurate computer
Yes.

Quote:
(would an iMac G4 do
No, too old.

Quote:
or should I build the PC I could only dream of 15-20 years ago? Because either sounds actually fun!) but I’ve got to start somewhere.
Yes, but no. 15-20 was single core P4 with IDE. Not that. You want 2010s hardware, dual-core Intel, SATA, good Asrock/Gigabyte motherboards. If Win7, SSD. If WinXP, HDD. Tip: 2.5" SATA is quiet. You can actually build a WinXP box using 7th gen Intel and 2017 motherboards, but it's tricky. Last year, I was building systems for others (still building a few, takes time), not sure I'll do it in 2022.

Quote:
And don’t even get me started on the TBCs…
Why? It's always about costs. $2k is cheap for most hobbies. My desk has about $2k in action figures (few TF MPs, few Macross Valkyries, Bandai Voltron), and those do nothing but look pretty. My camera body cost more, to say nothing of the lenses and other gear. Video is a cheap hobby, even with the single large TBC purchase required. Everything else is relatively small afterwards. Too many people remember the cost of a VCR from Sears/Walmart/etc in the 90s/00s, and for some reason that puny >$200 number gets stuck in their head as the budget for VHS. No. It gets even more ironic when Mac owners gripe, because they paid a huge premium for a computer. Everybody has priorities. For some, it's hookers and blow. For others, it's about acquiring good tools to do a quality VHS capture task.

Quote:
If you’ve got anything I could use, how much would shipping to Chile be? Thank you!
PM'ing.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: nachiobp (02-14-2022)
02-14-2022, 02:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Yes. Don't be a "Mac guy".

Computers are just tools. I use multiple versions of Windows, Linux, and Mac. I'm platform agnostic, merely use the best tool for the task. For the task of video capture, that's Windows, and specifically XP/7 if you value your time and sanity.
Yeah, it’s just where I ended up eventually, being the “[whatever] guy” isn’t something that’s set in stone, let alone something I’d define myself as

And yes, the right tool for the task, that’s exactly what I came looking for

Quote:
No drivers, no QT, no software, and no real hardware to choose from. In the 2000s, it was a (crappy) DV centric workflow. Few cards outside of it. By the 2010s, slim pickings. By the 2020s, nothing works, aside from HD cards that "also do" (and really don't) SD video.

This started long before the M1. All the M1 did was further drive a stake into the heart of Mac video capture.
Can confirm. As capture machines they’re great editing machines… if even that

And I guess I wouldn’t want to use my daily driver for this instead of a dedicated capture rig anyway, so let’s get that one out of the way, shall we?

Quote:
No, too old.

Yes, but no. 15-20 was single core P4 with IDE. Not that. You want 2010s hardware, dual-core Intel, SATA, good Asrock/Gigabyte motherboards. If Win7, SSD. If WinXP, HDD.
I was just going by the dates AIW cards were being made ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Why? It's always about costs. $2k is cheap for most hobbies. My desk has about $2k in action figures (few TF MPs, few Macross Valkyries, Bandai Voltron), and those do nothing but look pretty. My camera body cost more, to say nothing of the lenses and other gear. Video is a cheap hobby, even with the single large TBC purchase required. Everything else is relatively small afterwards.

It gets even more ironic when Mac owners gripe, because they paid a huge premium for a computer. Everybody has priorities. For some, it's hookers and blow. For others, it's about acquiring good tools to do a quality VHS capture task.
Just kidding about the TBCs! Sure the prices are intimidating, but it’s an investment you’ll have to do sooner or later if you get into this hobby. “Rome wasn’t built in a day” and neither will the flawless workflow we all want (also yay figures!)

You may seem harsh but you’re actually very helpful and willing to teach when someone’s willing to learn, and that means a lot. Thank you so much for the guidance both in the reply and everywhere else on this site!
02-14-2022, 03:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachiobp View Post
they’re great editing machines… if even that
For editing, they're great. But mostly for HD formats, not SD anything. Mac can ingest digital HD without any issues, it's the SD that is non-existent. I want a Mac Mini M2 to edit H.265. I want to shoot H.265 on an Atomos.

Quote:
And I guess I wouldn’t want to use my daily driver for this instead of a dedicated capture rig anyway, so let’s get that one out of the way, shall we?
Yes, daily system = no good for video. Modern internet connected computers mess with video capture, and arguably even mere editing.

Quote:
I was just going by the dates AIW cards were being made
Understood. But AIW are best on that 2010s hardware (though a few good boards were made in 08/09, bleeding edge at the time, pricey).

Quote:
Just kidding about the TBCs!
Good to know.

Quote:
You may seem harsh
Not at all my intention, but the same old gripes get old. So these days, I just nip it early, quick douse of cold water on weak arguments, in order to move the conversation along quickly. Watching the 7 stages of denial, over and over, for decades, is just irritating. I no longer have time for that. So I try to skip from denial to acceptance.

Quote:
but you’re actually very helpful and willing to teach when someone’s willing to learn, and that means a lot. Thank you so much for the guidance both in the reply and everywhere else on this site!
Thanks!

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: nachiobp (02-14-2022)