Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Free Member

I'm wanting to be able to do a better job with PAL.

There's an old saying: "You can have it cheap, fast, and good. Pick any two." Well, I don't need this fast. But I do want to find a good-quality PAL VHS VCR for $200 or less, plus shipping. I'm willing to risk the eBay lottery for a deck which looks promising, and I'm willing to pay a $20 "finder's fee" to the first member of this forum who points me to an auction for a deck which does in fact turn out to be worth the purchase price after I receive it. Or I'll buy one straight out from a forum member if you have a suitable deck in good condition. Shipping is to Houston, Texas, USA. Private Messages will be accepted and read. Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
This is a marketplace listing, not a discussion thread, so I'll keep my comments brief...

I don't think this is realistic, especially if you're including shipping in the $200. Shipping alone generally runs $85 minimum. Acquiring/importing a VCR from Europe is difficult, even if you have a friend to act as proxy. Odds of finding a PAL deck inside USA is slim. VCRshop.nl is probably your best bet for a known-decent PAL S-VHS deck, and at times he has decent models in the 250€ range. eBay outside USA (for those in USA) is even more of a gamble than the .com, no safety net whatsoever, different policies and laws governing commerce.

With a $200 budget, it's not impossible, but you may be searching for 6-12 months minimum.

Anyway, good luck.

Your post has been approved. Please note that it may have been edited to comply with rules for posting in the marketplace. We hope you're able to sell your video/photos/computer item, or locate your want — all for free, and better than you could on eBay or Craigslist. Thanks!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2019, 09:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is a marketplace listing, not a discussion thread, so I'll keep my comments brief...

I don't think this is realistic, especially if you're including shipping in the $200.
I'm not; I stated $200 plus shipping. But that's the limit of what I'm able/willing to spend, at least at this time. If I come across more PAL material to digitize I would be willing to offer more at that time. If not, and doing this purely for personal interest/education, if I can get a good bargain deck I will. If not, I'll wait. As I said, I'm in no hurry. Just thought I'd ask.
07-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
I'm not; I stated $200 plus shipping. But that's the limit of what I'm able/willing to spend, at least at this time. If I come across more PAL material to digitize I would be willing to offer more at that time. If not, and doing this purely for personal interest/education, if I can get a good bargain deck I will. If not, I'll wait. As I said, I'm in no hurry. Just thought I'd ask.
If/when I see something, I'll let you know.

Do you have somebody that could act as your proxy? Preferably somebody that can do basic testing, verify condition before re-shipping. That would open some buying avenues for you. Maybe another forum member here would be willing?

And here's hoping one of our PAL users can help you get something.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2019, 10:21 PM
Free Member

SVHS or VHS deck?

With TBC or without?
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-28-2019)
07-28-2019, 11:48 PM
Free Member

I've already got a straight VHS PAL deck without TBC. I'm looking for something better, preferably with both (line) TBC and S-Video.

Please note: As of today the $200 plus shipping budget is firm, but it could stretch in future. If you come across something worthwhile a bit out of that price range, especially a month or two from now, do at least let me know about it.
07-29-2019, 06:07 AM
Free Member

I am from PAL land (UK), if you need any help sourcing one, let me know.

But define 'decent' and also what models you are looking for!

The shipping cost is likely what is going to trip you up.

I would highly suggest maybe waiting, or tacking an extra $50 to $100 to the budget at least.

Also, are most of the tapes you intend to play SP, LP or EP (contrary to popular belief, quite a few PAL decks had EP capability, I have 3 of them here of different vintages).
07-29-2019, 03:23 PM
Free Member

Here would be one:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Panasonic-NV...1&isGTR=1#shId

The Panasonic FS88 is quite similar to the most recommendest Panasonic vcr the FS200 on europe market but without TBC. Price should be with shipping costs.

The FS88 & the FS200 have been released in 1992 on german market.

and here would be another one:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sharp-VC-S20...4AAOSwK0ldFvJe

The Sharp is from 2000/2001 with TBC/NR. The seller ships to the US, too.

Last edited by Bogilein; 07-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.
07-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Free Member

They also have Philips VR1000, VR1100 and JVC HR-7611 for a similar price if you want something with a TBC.
Granted, at least in my experience, the JVC/Philips TBC can be a bit jittery on some PAL tapes.

I suppose as an alternative you could maybe see if you could get a hold of a PAL DMR-ES10/15, or other DVD recorder that has some line-TBC capability (some sony/pioneer/toshiba/other panasonics). Some of these are even NTSC-capable as well.
07-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

A high end PAL unit from VCRShop.nl, for just $200...? Good luck with that... His stuff is anything but cheap/reasonably priced. You can find some good & refurbished gear for much less if you're patient. Just because something has been refurbished doesn't mean it's good. Many of the stuff these guys put up for sale are actually not good with countless hours of pretty heavy use on it and priced ridiculously high. I would definitely look somewhere else... JMHO.
07-30-2019, 01:03 AM
Free Member

I will be selling a S-VHS / S-VHS-ET NTSC/PAL/MESECAM with line TBC and DNR, JVC HR-S7600AM, It's on my work bench now for a full service, I have to replace the brake pads and I'm having a hard time finding the right material for the pads, I don't want to do a sloppy job, I want it to be serviced to manufacturer spec, It will be a short while before I list it but I can't guarantee a $200, probably $200 will be the starting price for the auction. It is the only deck ever made in true NTSC/PAL 525/625 native frame rate in S-VHS/TBC/DNR.
I'm in the US by the way.

Tags
pal, vhs