Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I don't see that listed on that PDF.

But more importantly, wasn't it a vat of muriatic acid that Jack Napier fell into? Ol' Bruce didn't realize he was dancing with the devil in the pale moon light. Cheeky fellow, that Joker. I wonder if he had any CDs in his pocket, then we could really test this theory!
liquid evaporates and muriatic acid is liquid if it evaporates it will contaminate the ambient air and get into metals or enter optical media cd, dvd, mdisc dvd corroding the internal metal layer?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Free Member

FWIW: muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid, sometimes referring to a specific range of concintrations.
11-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
You didn't answer my doubt, any muriatic acid vapor present in the house air can get inside the dvd disc and mdisc dvd disc and corrode the reflective metal layer and the metal data layer?
Could it be because you did not ask a question?
You just made a statement and put a question mark at the end of your sentence like;

"I have a mental illness?"
This is not a question.

It should be like this;
"Do I have a mental illness?"

See? "I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia?" is not a question while "Am I diagnosed with schizophrenia?" is.

FWIW; It's very important to take your medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
The following users thank noisywan for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (11-17-2019), lordsmurf (11-17-2019)
11-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisywan View Post
"I have a mental illness?"
This is not a question.
I keep laughing hysterically at this, and cannot stop.
Thanks, I needed that.

Quote:
liquid evaporates and muriatic acid is liquid if it evaporates it will contaminate the ambient air and get into metals or enter optical media cd, dvd, mdisc dvd corroding the internal metal layer?
I don't understand why you have doubts.
Acid is bad.
Discs around acid is bad.
You around acid is bad.

What more can be said?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Why don't you answer my question correctly hilarious answers?
11-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Why don't you answer my question correctly
Perhaps you saw the last post before I was finished editing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
I don't understand why you have doubts.
Acid is bad.
Discs around acid is bad.
You around acid is bad.
What more can be said?

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-17-2019)
11-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you saw the last post before I was finished editing it?
I didn't talk about throwing muriatic acid on the discs but that acid uses for bathroom cleaning, bathroom cleaning or muriatic evaporates, contaminates the air in the house and enters the cases and inside the discs mdisc dvd, dvd-r by layers gluing polycarbonate?
11-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Free Member

First off, keep the fumes away from the metal plate in yer melon.
Second, I’m gettin’ drunk, and it’s on you guys! Told you this should have been a drinking game(maniaco).
The following users thank BarryTheCrab for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-17-2019)
11-17-2019, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

As with almost all your questions, you have the best tools / environment to test your DVDs. Leave some of your DVDs (ones that you don't care if they're ruined or not) out in area with the highest concentration of fumes. Leave them for a day, a week, a month, a year and test them at each interval, checking for any physical change. If the fumes have affected the glue enough to allow the acid to seep in, it will be noticeable.

NOT RECOMMENDED: I thought of suggesting you could accelerate the testing by placing the discs in a sealed container with the discs suspended over the acid (allowing only the fumes to touch the disc), but realized that if there is any chemical reaction, the results may be dangerous.
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-17-2019)
11-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
but that acid uses for bathroom cleaning, bathroom cleaning or muriatic evaporates, contaminates the air in the house
Hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid, a less-pure variant of hydrochloric) is not used in cleaning supplies for bathrooms, and should NEVER be in the air in the house. It is caustic, capable of corroding everything from plastics to metals to clothing to skin. Even working with it poses numerous health risks. Momentary skin exposure can cause severe burns, inhaling fumes can burn the lungs and the nose lining, and contact can also cause irreversible eye damage or even blindness.

So why would a disc ever be near such an acid?

Given those facts, the question is insane.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-18-2019)
11-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Actually muriatic acid is used in some toilet and tile cleaners as a stain remover. But it's unlikely to be needed for cleaning on a frequent basis. However a scary thought dawned on me, muriatic/hydrochloric acid is used in the production of a certain drug with one of the side effects being paranoia.

Edit: With that thought, this thread stops being funny!
11-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Free Member

Naaa, still funny.
11-18-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid, a less-pure variant of hydrochloric) is not used in cleaning supplies for bathrooms, and should NEVER be in the air in the house. It is caustic, capable of corroding everything from plastics to metals to clothing to skin. Even working with it poses numerous health risks. Momentary skin exposure can cause severe burns, inhaling fumes can burn the lungs and the nose lining, and contact can also cause irreversible eye damage or even blindness.

So why would a disc ever be near such an acid?

Given those facts, the question is insane.

My family members use muriatic acid for bathroom cleaning but I have no negative effects on my health but I can't explain why if the acid is strong I would have problems with myself if I don't feel anything then my concern is with DVD-R, MDisc DVD etc
11-18-2019, 05:37 AM
Free Member

Muriatic acid fumes have thresholds, above which there are various health effects. These effects depend on the concintrations of the fumes (in parts per million) and individual sensitivities. The effects may be long term and cumulative (e.g., take years) or quick (a matter of minutes). Muriatic acid forming in the lungs and membranes is one of the results of chlorine gas poisoning. Consider the WWI trench warfare gas attacks.

Mixing it with other cleaning materials that contain alkalies may release chlorine gas, so it is not something with which to mess. It is used to clean or pretreat concrete for painting and may be used to remove mineral scale. As mentioned above it is also scheduled as a precursor for preparation of certain controlled and illegal substances. You can buy it at your local Home Depot in the paint department.

The bottom line is that exposure to muriatic acid fumes in not good. How bad will depend on the concentrations, duration, and other environmental factors such as temperature and absolute humidity. No one here can even begin to predict the time before there will be measurable effect on your discs.

Perhaps this is another thread that should be closed.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-18-2019)
11-18-2019, 05:40 AM

I read that muriatic acid is 37% hydrochloric, is that a lot? Is there any dilution in the air before damaging?
The following users thank gamemaniaco for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (11-18-2019)
11-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

+1 to closing this thread. The OP is in a hazardous environment and don't see how any further discussion can lead to anything good. As has been stated several times, the effects on his DVDs pales in comparison to what's potentially happening to his body, internal and external.
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: JPMedia (12-01-2019)
11-30-2019, 03:48 PM

I have no effect on my body When someone uses muriatic acid in the bathroom and it evaporates during use I know that DVD-R and MDisc DVD optical discs are more fragile and they are glued of this discs to the metal layer between the glue and me I thought some muriatic evaporation goes through the glue and goes to the metal layer
12-01-2019, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

Some people who smoke claim they feel no effects and don't suffer from any illness. Others who have never smoked, but were exposed to second hand smoke suffer the effects. The point is, ANY exposure to muriatic acid fumes is hazardous and the effects can take years to appear.

I want you to go away, but not because of physical illness.
12-01-2019, 04:30 AM

In the case of DVD-R and MDisc DVD do the effects of some muriatic vapor only appear after many years? Is the effect cumulative if muriatic vapor on these disks only a few times of exposure? is muriatic vapor present on the eroding discs little by little?
The following users thank gamemaniaco for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (12-01-2019)
12-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Mods, please close this thread. This has gone beyond being just irritating or funny. He's describing a hazardous environment that is potentially endangering his and his family's health.
Closed Thread

Tags
acid medias