digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Bad DVD burn, and HDD has bad block? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/10923-bad-dvd-burn.html)

gamemaniaco 08-22-2020 06:32 PM

Bad DVD burn, and HDD has bad block?

I have a notebook HDD and it has some Reallocated Sector Count badblock, will this cause bad burning and errors on the DVD disc and MDisc DVD?

lingyi 08-22-2020 11:36 PM

Yes.

How do you know you have badblocks? What software did you run? Run CrystalDiskInfo if you haven't. If anything is yellow, your hard drive is failing and could die at any time, especially since the number of bad blocks could increase at any time.. Backup and replace it immediately.

There's no what if. Your drive WILL fail at any time!

gamemaniaco 08-23-2020 04:23 AM

I saw Yellow Crystal Disk Info Reallocated Sector Count. I have used the HDD in these conditions for a long time and I burned important files of mine on DVD and MDisc DVD these burns were bad and I will have to discard the discs because of the status of this HDD? DVD is bad because HDD yellow crystal disk info?

lingyi 08-23-2020 10:15 AM

YES. Redo the discs with data from a drive without errors. And backup and replace your drive now!

For anyone who says otherwise, understand that the OP's level of paranoia is absurd and he'll obsess over every possibility, no matter how remote.

FYI, about a month ago I had a 8TB drive with bad sectors. I kept using it for several months for non-critical data knowing it could die at anytime. Sure enough, it died suddenly without any additional back sectors or any notice. Any drive can die at any time, but once CrystalDiskInfo shows Yellow, it speeds up the timeline an unknown amount.

lordsmurf 08-23-2020 10:52 AM

When a drive develops bad sectors, I copy data to a new drive ASAP. I leave CrystalDiskInfoopen in the background (taskbar) at all times. I monitor temps, too, and will direct a fan at it as needed.

gamemaniaco 08-23-2020 11:01 AM

The HDD has Yellow Crystal Disk Info Reallocated Sector Count and on that HDD and I recorded important files of mine and this HDD burned files on DVD using imgBurn but imgburn did not find any reading errors on the burned DVD

Should I throw all these discs in the trash because they were copied from this HDD?

lingyi 08-23-2020 01:29 PM

YES.

Your hard drive is failing and any data on it could have been corrupted during write or read. If you run a hashcheck on your DVD and hard drive, all you'll prove if it matches is that the possibly corrupted data was copied bit for bit to your DVD. If you have the data on another drive or disc, if you run a hashcheck on that against the DVD and/or your hard drive and they match, that will prove the data on the failing drive is correct. If you downloaded the file, download it again to a new hard drive and burn a new DVD.

You of all people should never trust your data to a failing hard drive. The only way to satisfy your obsessive nature is to start all over again.

gamemaniaco 08-23-2020 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there are many discs I will have to put them all in the trash DVD MDisc and dvd verbatim expensive discs all of them after burning I tested read test with nero discspeed and imgburn and no errors

lingyi 08-23-2020 02:10 PM

Testing the disc means nothing if the data on the hard drive is corrupted. Re-read what I posted about checking the data on the DVD against the data on the bad drive versus against the ORIGINAL data on a good drive.

If I tell my friend I saw a blue elephant and he tells his friend I saw a pink anteater, his friend will say I saw a pink anteater. He's absolutely wrong about what I saw, but at the time time absolutely right about what was told to him. The only way the truth can be proved is that the friend of a friend asks me what I saw.

Edit: Changed the pink elephant to a pink anteater as a pink elephant would be half right.

Also, though it may seem I'm being overly negative about the probability of the data on the hard drive being bad, the OP will not accept anything I or any one says as the final answer, so I'm stating the worse case scenario as reality, not probability.

-- merged --

Just looked at the image you posted. 140 bad sectors is really, really, really bad! Backup the drive and get rid of it NOW! Don't read or write anything to the drive as you don't know where the corruption is.

Best case scenario is that the corruption is one area of the disk, hopefully somewhere data isn't being written/read. But 140 bad sectors doesn't happen overnight, it's been spreading for a long time and will keep spreading the longer you use the drive.

lordsmurf 08-23-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 70975)
there are many discs I will have to put them all in the trash DVD MDisc and dvd verbatim expensive discs all of them after burning I tested read test with nero discspeed and imgburn and no errors

Not trash.
Keep as extra, but unreliable, backup.

lingyi 08-23-2020 03:52 PM

Isn't an unreliable backup the same, actually worse than no backup? Especially in the OP's world where integrity and lifespan of his data so critical?

I currently have a 8TB drive with 5 bad sectors that hasn't increased in months, partially because it's rarely used on my second TV setup. The data was duplicated from a known good original source. If it dies it dies, but in no way do I even consider it a backup. Just don't know what's really good or bad on it.

Edit: There is one scenario where I'd consider the data on the drive as known good. If I was willing (which I'm absolutely not) to run a hash check between the files on the bad drive against the data on a known good drive and they matched. Then I'd save the hashes and copy the data from the bad drive to a new one and run the hash check again. But all that would do would prove is that, at that moment in time when I did the transfer all was well. Means nothing for the future.

It's a bit better for optical discs, but the same procedure and premise would be true. The data (backup) is either good or bad. There's a bit more leeway for videos since playback firmware/software can correct a good amount of data corruption.

lordsmurf 08-23-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingyi (Post 70979)
Isn't an unreliable backup the same, actually worse than no backup?

No.

- bad backup > no backup
- good backup > bad backup

gamemaniaco 08-23-2020 05:25 PM

This HDD that I have used for a long time with these same errors has not increased or decreased

I made 4 copies on MDisc DVD and DVD Verbatim with the same files and folders, 3 discs are stored and 1 of them is for constant use, it is possible for me to take this disc and do a corruption test so I know if the disc is burned correctly ?

lordsmurf 08-23-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 70981)
This HDD that I have used for a long time

Not smart. :no2:

gamemaniaco 08-24-2020 07:51 AM

Does ImgBurn have no configuration so that the data from the HDD to the DVD is not corrupted? trash discs?

Formica 08-24-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 70995)
Does ImgBurn have no configuration so that the data from the HDD to the DVD is not corrupted? trash discs?

Most burning software will faithfully reproduce corruption--it's just data to the burning software.

gamemaniaco 08-24-2020 01:10 PM

this discs is bad long term storage i put trash?

Formica 08-24-2020 01:32 PM

Make sure you create a good backup first.

lingyi 08-24-2020 09:56 PM

@gamemanico

STOP!

Once again you're asking questions that ONLY YOU can research and answer.

@Everyone else, sorry for the yelling, but if you've read gamemanico's other threads, you know this will never end unless this thread is locked. I'm actually trying to be nice and after this I give up! :mad4:

Are the files on your DVDs bad? IF they are bad on your HDD are corrupted because of the bad sectors AND the files on your DVDs are an exact match, then YES, THEY ARE BAD! IF the files on are HDD are not corrupted and the files on your DVDS are an exact match, then NO, THEY ARE NOT BAD!

The problem is you're the only one who can check whether the files on your HHD are bad or not. How do you check? As I said before, you have to check the ORIGINAL files from the HDD, SSD, flash drive, SD card or optical disc you copied them TO your bad HHD from. If you downloaded the files, you have to redownload them to a different HDD, SSD, flash drive or SD card. NOT TO YOUR BAD HDD!

Once you have the ORIGINAL FILES, NOT FROM YOUR BAD HDD, you can copy the files from your DVDs to your GOOD HDD, SSD, FLASH DRIVE or SD card and run a program like ViceVersa to generate a hashfile that will show whether the files on your DVDs are AN EXACT BIT FOR BIT COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILES.

If you don't have access to the ORIGINAL source files that you copied to your bad hard drive, no amount of checking your DVDs will do any good as Formica said and you've confirmed with ImgBurn during the burning process, your DVDs contain an EXACT BIT FOR BIT COPY of the files on your bad hard drive and if it was corrupted there, the files on your DVDs are now an EXACT BIT FOR BIT copy of the BAD FILES.

Again, if you don't have access to the ORIGINAL source files, there's NOTHING you can do to confirm whether the files on your DVDs or bad hard drive are not corrupt. :smack:

-- merged --

Should you trash your DVDs?

lordsmurf says a corrupted disc is better than nothing at all. For me, it depends on the type of files that are on the discs.

If it's a game or a movie, I'd trash the disc because I don't want to risk spending hours playing a game or watching a movie and it suddenly glitches at an important moment.

If it's pictures, I'd do a quick viewing of them as there may be just minor errors.

If it's important data files, for example accounting worksheets, I'd copy them to a good HDD and do a through check of all the entries. A major pain, but probably better than having to redo it.

Again, ONLY YOU can decide whether it's worth the risk of corrupted data. Note not a bad burn, which is something completely different.

gamemaniaco 08-25-2020 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingyi (Post 71013)
Should you trash your DVDs?

lordsmurf says a corrupted disc is better than nothing at all. For me, it depends on the type of files that are on the discs.

If it's a game or a movie, I'd trash the disc because I don't want to risk spending hours playing a game or watching a movie and it suddenly glitches at an important moment.

If it's pictures, I'd do a quick viewing of them as there may be just minor errors.

If it's important data files, for example accounting worksheets, I'd copy them to a good HDD and do a through check of all the entries. A major pain, but probably better than having to redo it.

Again, ONLY YOU can decide whether it's worth the risk of corrupted data. Note not a bad burn, which is something completely different.

I don't have the original files on the HDD

I burned the discs with ImgBurn and after burning I did the "Verify" of ImgBurn and the read test of Nero Disc Speed ​​and both showed 0 errors and read test 100%

I've already used many DVD burning programs, BurnAware, Ashampoo, ImgBurn and always when I finished a burn I checked with them