Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-15-2021, 08:29 PM
Free Member

Hello! Looking to my collection i have been noticed that there are some marks on the edge of the game discs, like glue or adhesive of the discs squeezed out from the outer edge, i post some pictures of the case, in this photo is in a DVD-ROM of Xbox 360

https://twitter.com/AngelKH15/status...47076843307014

In this, is a example from a user with a similar case on my BD-ROM Xbox One games, but is less visible, they looks like little bubbles of adhesive

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment..._is_it_normal/

I should point out that it is not as if it were the exception, if not rather the norm, the majority that I have looked at have said marks to a lesser or greater extent.

Is this early signs of discs rot? I have not found nothing similar to this

Thanks in advance!

-- merged --

Pls, remove the last post @lordsmurf or @kpmedia, sorry for the mention, but the last post doesn't have the photos uploaded and i can't edit it

-- merged --

I don't know what happend on the last posts, but i am going to do the definitive question post with images and better explanation, pls remove the last ones @kpmedia, @lordsmuf, @admin, sorry for the inconvenience, but it seems that i can't remove or edit the last posts
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-18-2021, 10:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
- You were posting new threads, not replies.
- Editing posts is disallowed after 1 hour. Editing thread titles is entirely disallowed.
- Attach images, don't hotlink to random sites.

What you're seeing is merely sloppy bonding. This is common on budget-grade media, but you'd sometimes see it on even TY and MCC media. It's not a sign of rot, or anything else.

At very worst -- and unlikely, and rare -- is that too much slop on one side could throw off disc balance. It'd make noise while spinning, and have trouble reading/writing. But even when that happens, there's lots of other things that make the disc lousy.

There are perfectly round discs, no slop. But those are now the minority. Discs are too massed produced now, almost a commodity. It's just slipshod QC more than anything else. I just opened a spindle of Ritek Pro discs, and those are perfectly round. However, it isn't smooth to the touch, so it may be that the excess slop is simply trimmed on those discs.

It's a shame that people have never seen truly awesome discs, such the the 4x PVC (Pioneer) discs from the mid 2000s. It puts other media to shame, and was the best disc ever made.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-18-2021, 10:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
- You were posting new threads, not replies.
- Editing posts is disallowed after 1 hour. Editing thread titles is entirely disallowed.
- Attach images, don't hotlink to random sites.

What you're seeing is merely sloppy bonding. This is common on budget-grade media, but you'd sometimes see it on even TY and MCC media. It's not a sign of rot, or anything else.

At very worst -- and unlikely, and rare -- is that too much slop on one side could throw off disc balance. It'd make noise while spinning, and have trouble reading/writing. But even when that happens, there's lots of other things that make the disc lousy.

There are perfectly round discs, no slop. But those are now the minority. Discs are too massed produced now, almost a commodity. It's just slipshod QC more than anything else. I just opened a spindle of Ritek Pro discs, and those are perfectly round. However, it isn't smooth to the touch, so it may be that the excess slop is simply trimmed on those discs.

It's a shame that people have never seen truly awesome discs, such the the 4x PVC (Pioneer) discs from the mid 2000s. It puts other media to shame, and was the best disc ever made.
Oh sorry! I had the intention to do a more complete post, in fact, here have the images, if you can replace it for the other links, i would be very greatfull

Image: https://i.stack.imgur.com/QwGOo.jpg
Image: https://i.stack.imgur.com/Hdfdy.jpg

About the post... it really so common? It could be more prone to produce disc rot that if doesn't have it?

It looks like every single disc have it in a minor or mayor way, my first thought was that it was getting hot and the lacquer was squeezing out, because, i have problems of space and a reflected sunlight from a white wall when the windows is open gets into my game cases, if they where writtable discs maybe would be baked, but as far as i know, ROM discs in their cases doesn't would have a problem beyond some fading on covers

In the second image, in fact, the user assures that his PS4 is doing that, with each disk that he put, so I assumed it was heat problems, but perhaps I am wrong, hence I asked all this
04-18-2021, 11:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html
Do that.

It's common. I saw it as far back as 2002. (CD didn't having sandwich bonding.)

It's less common with ROM media, but not unheard of. You usually see this on recordable sandwiched opticals.

There's no such thing as "disc rot". Nonsense term. There are ways that optical media can degrade, but most are due to poor storage, or the fact that the disc was never actually good (just assumed so).

Bonding requires temperatures that exceed storing discs in a car trunk, in summer, in hot zones. Nothing is melting.

Normal spectrum light is bad for discs over time. Bad storage, don't do that.

The user assures what?

04-19-2021, 12:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html
Do that.

It's common. I saw it as far back as 2002. (CD didn't having sandwich bonding.)

It's less common with ROM media, but not unheard of. You usually see this on recordable sandwiched opticals.

There's no such thing as "disc rot". Nonsense term. There are ways that optical media can degrade, but most are due to poor storage, or the fact that the disc was never actually good (just assumed so).

Bonding requires temperatures that exceed storing discs in a car trunk, in summer, in hot zones. Nothing is melting.

Normal spectrum light is bad for discs over time. Bad storage, don't do that.

The user assures what?
Sorry, i didn't finished the quote

The reddit user of the second picture tells that his PS4 is doing that, so my first thought was heat problem

The most that impress me it's that every singles disc that i saw have it in a mayor or minor way, that why i was asking me if it's first sympthoms of degradation (disc rot is a reference for the fact of degradation, but yes, i am agree with you, bad name, it's not exactly that), so... is it have some relationship these strange marks and the degradiation or it's not a symptom at all?

I know that the sunlight is bad for writable media due to the photosensitive dye, but ROMs doesn't have that so... why it's a problem?

this study proves it:

https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec5/

Apparently, ROM discs uses only a reflectible layer and the data is in the plastic part writed by laser

Anyway not direct, just reflected, I have made sure of that, so i suppose that heat is not a problem, for me I would change it, but it is not possible and I do not know how to reduce solar intensity, unfortunately, any ideas?

Thanks for the answers
04-19-2021, 01:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

His PS4 is doing what? (If he thinks a PS4 is melting his DVDs, he's talking nonsense.)

The polycarbonate ("plastic") is affected by light. The polycarb can will yellow and haze with age. To a lesser degree, foils can age similarly, depending on the exact alloys used. Sunlight has all sorts of UV and other spectrums, and is the most harmful of the light sources. Science.

Another user here always asks about heat and humidity, but he lives in a tropical climate. Aside from getting A/C, or moving, nothing more can be done. If you're not able to move your discs out of the sunlight, you're essentially screwed. Buy boxes to keep out light? Don't store DVDs in room with windows? I don't what to tell you other than leaving discs, of any kind, in sunlight, is bad. The end.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ZetaSuprema (04-19-2021)
04-19-2021, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
His PS4 is doing what? (If he thinks a PS4 is melting his DVDs, he's talking nonsense.)

The polycarbonate ("plastic") is affected by light. The polycarb can will yellow and haze with age. To a lesser degree, foils can age similarly, depending on the exact alloys used. Sunlight has all sorts of UV and other spectrums, and is the most harmful of the light sources. Science.

Another user here always asks about heat and humidity, but he lives in a tropical climate. Aside from getting A/C, or moving, nothing more can be done. If you're not able to move your discs out of the sunlight, you're essentially screwed. Buy boxes to keep out light? Don't store DVDs in room with windows? I don't what to tell you other than leaving discs, of any kind, in sunlight, is bad. The end.
Yes, he claimed that his PS4 was "melting" the discs, since all the ones he put in the console had those marks, I guess it was pure chance

So.. just to confirm, that marks on the edge of the discs is not related with high exposure to temperatures or they are symptoms of a degradation or a debonding of the discs, right?

About sunlight, i understand what you say, but in the link says that it would be several decades of exposure to damages the plastic of the discs in a normal exposure of a room, direct sunlight could be problematic

A room without windows would be bad too, the humidity concentrated on a room could produce mold grow, and sunlight prevents mold, ventilation is needed

I think that my options are basically filter the sunlight in somehow, to block UV and Infrared rays to the minimum, as i understand, visible sunlight is problematic

About damage... how i know is the sunlight damages a disc? If the reflective layer doesn't reflect anything? I have notice that the DVD have a yellow reflectance in some angles, but i think that is the manner they are made, it's like two golden buttlerfly wings, to understand me

Tags
bluray, dvd, rom