Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I am in the process of moving house and I would like your opinion as I make the correct and proper transport of my optical DVD discs because I believe they are fragile in shaking in the car or car or motorcycle distorting break or damaging the media

they are currently stored in DVD cases and these cases inside a semi-closed cardboard box
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-05-2021, 10:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Standard good moving advice, nothing special about optical media.

Moving box, padding, inner box with fragile items. The end. Nothing to add here.

Perhaps makes sure disc spindles are full, so discs don't move too much.

Don't move home/apt with a motorcycle. Rent/borrow a truck, preferably actual moving truck (not pickup, etc).

Remember, media hate heat. So don't have in truck for hours in sun, where truck not air conditioned (and few are, even in USA).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (01-05-2021)
01-05-2021, 11:13 AM

the bike I would only use to transport small things, I thought of putting the cases inside a bag or backpack

on the spinddle all the cases that i have the discs rotate a little on them but the disc does not fall from the spinddle case with the media that i didn’t use they don’t move much and the spindle is inside a cardboard box
01-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Free Member

Discs in hard cases should be fine. They are made to be shipped to stores on trucks, in tightly packed boxes. Ordinary vibration from the road will not harm the disc. The only problem might be if the hub that you put the disc on is broken and cannot hold the disc securely; such a case needs to be replaced, so the disc doesn't slide around inside the case.

If you are thinking of transporting loose discs, don't. Protect each one by putting it in a hard case or soft envelope (the poly-lined kind made for CDs/DVDs). Spindles are OK if kept upright. Just don't throw loose discs in a box, and don't let a stack of discs to turn sideways and rub against each other. Every bit of dust in between them is a scratch risk.

Padding wouldn't hurt, if you think there's a risk of the box of cases being dropped or handled roughly.
The following users thank mjb2019 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-05-2021)
01-05-2021, 11:49 AM

Some discs I keep in these photo boxes others I have in the spinddle carrying the cases inside a school backpack is it a risk? the spinddle I thought of transporting in these cardboard or plastic boxes

https://static1.nordic.pictures/1004...cs-spindle.jpg

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_1...2_082014-O.jpg

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2..._042017-O.webp

https://static.dafiti.com.br/p/Hang-...053-1-zoom.jpg

https://a-static.mlcdn.com.br/1500x1...5cdc8ced5b.jpg

https://cdn.awsli.com.br/600x450/848...62cb456058.jpg
01-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

That all seems fine to me.

01-05-2021, 12:02 PM

because the pin in the center of the dvd case doesn't hold it without shaking a little?

will the spindle transport scratch the discs?

another problem is the weather the transportation during the minutes is hot and sunny and I know it affects the useful life of the dvds
01-06-2021, 04:19 AM
Free Member

The shaking of a single disc in the case, as long as the data-containing area is not rubbing against anything, is no problem whatsoever.

Spindle cases are fine too. Most optical discs are designed so that when they are stacked together on spindle, they (hopefully) only touch in the middle, on the clear plastic part, right around the spindle. This hub area (or just the raised part of it) is called a stacking ring. If you turn the spindle on its side, then gravity is not holding the discs steady. Or even when upright, if you give the spindle a good shake, the discs will separate and then come back together in a stack. This still should still be OK because they are all still on the spindle, so their stacking rings will line up. But personally, I would not take the risk; I'd just try to keep the spindle upright, in order to minimize the chance the discs will move at all. A long time ago, I had bad experiences with CDs that I let rub against each other too much. DVDs are more durable, but still...

As for heat, any heat above normal room temperature is not good for anything made of plastic. Regular, pressed DVDs should tolerate heat better than recordable DVDs. Again, remember they were made to be shipped in boxes in hot trucks. Recordable DVDs you need to be more careful with; they can die more easily.
01-06-2021, 04:25 AM

I was thinking about transporting the disks sitting in the back seat in a car holding the cases or backpack, bag or box with the cases inside them but the car is hot and shaking a lot, will this be a problem? do i need to turn on the air conditioner inside the car but does car air conditioning release moisture inside it?

transport spindle discs they overlap will scratch?
01-06-2021, 06:10 AM
Free Member

I think this entire thread calls for an ambulance.
01-06-2021, 08:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

When I moved 1000+ miles away (and then back some years later), my VHS and DVD collection was a top concern. At the time, it was the video collection I'd seriously been building for 15+ years (then 20+ years on 2nd move), now almost 30 years. This is why I got into video.

So I get it. Most people just throw their junk in a moving truck, and hope for the best. Not good enough!

Putting discs in the back seat, inside the car, is exactly what I did. And the front seat. And it took at least 2 trips just for the videos. More went inside an SUV later. Same for all computers. On day one of living at the new house, I had a sleeping bag, change of clothes, my then-main computer, 13" CRT TV, DVD player, and a large pile of DVDs and VHS tapes. Priorities!

Aside from stops at gas stations (gas, bathroom breaks, junk food, Subway/etc), the car was never NOT temperature controlled for that long move.

01-06-2021, 08:52 AM

so your discs must have been affected inside the expensive hot, conditional air from the car leaves the interior car moisture?
01-07-2021, 07:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
car is hot and shaking a lot
As I said, the shaking of a car ride is OK. Heat could be a problem.

Quote:
do i need to turn on the air conditioner inside the car
Yes, I would do whatever is necessary to keep the temperature normal. If it is uncomfortable for your skin, it is uncomfortable for the DVDs.

Quote:
does car air conditioning release moisture inside it?
No, the opposite. It makes the air more dry.

Quote:
transport spindle discs they overlap will scratch?
No, as I explained, they only touch in the middle. Look at them closely on the spindle. Hold it up to the light. You will see. They do not rub against each other.
01-16-2021, 04:00 PM

Can I transport the DVD cases (15 in total) inside a backpack or inside the backpack do the dvd cases vibrate and press damage the DVD discs? backpack on back
01-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Already asked and answered.

Closed Thread

Tags
question