Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-02-2021, 11:19 AM
Free Member

Am trying to determine what mfg and DVD type/ part number I should buy to 'archive' some video (vhs) tapes.

I've read the guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
(no clue when this was last edited, but it seems severely outdated as many of the mfg disks are NLA)

I've read multiple sources of info about the current blank DVD offerings. I am going totally crazy with all of the mostly outdated but also very contradictory information, so I am asking for some guidance.

How I define 'archival' - information on the disk will be preserved for 50-60 years. (whether anything will be around that can actually read the media can be debated, but assume something will be)

With that in mind, and after doing a ton of searching and reading, I've determined that the Verbatim UltraLife Gold Archival Grade DVD-R (p/n 95355) is a reasonable choice.
https://www.verbatim.com/prod/optica...d-r/ultralife/

The guide talks about country of manufacturing - a recent visit to Staples showed that these Verbatim DVD are mfg in United Arab Emirates (not exactly on the list of Japan/Tiwan/Germany, etc.

I am interested in hearing about alternatives to and pros/cons about this choice.
Best regards
J
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2021, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Choices today are very simple. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim AZO (never heard about the Ultra series), both made my CMC Magnetics in Taiwan. That's it! Both companies sold all their DVD manufacturing rights and technology, some say TY sold them their machines also, to CMC.

Only Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim AZO discs are first tier. Everything else, including what CMC manufactures is 2nd or 3rd tier.

Edit: Look closely at the Verbatim discs at Staples. If they don't have the (now tiny) AZO logo, they're 2nd or 3rd tier discs from any country. If they do have the AZO label, it's likely really old stock or some odd fluke because UAE or any other country other than CMC Taiwan haven't been available in the U.S. for years. AFAIK, when Verbatim sold their rights to CMC, all their other factories worldwide were shut down.

Hopefully lordsmurf, lordsmurf, lordsmurf! will appear as he knows more about the story.
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: archivarious (03-05-2021)
03-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Something overlooked is Ritek Pro media, a new product as of 2020, which uses MXLRG04 media ID (DVD-R), forget the MXL DVD+R code offhand. We have about 500 of those here right now.

For reasons, these discs can be considered the TY legacy more than modern "TY" discs. CMC owns and manufacturers TY now, has for a few years. TY is just a brand of CMC media, albeit still decent, but maybe not as good as historical TY.

The guide is something I want to update here soon. The entire site needs a top-down refresh, currently working on that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Something overlooked is Ritek Pro media, a new product as of 2020, which uses MXLRG04 media ID (DVD-R), forget the MXL DVD+R code offhand. We have about 500 of those here right
But...but...pork butt...how long do they last in disc holder, in a plastic bag with silica, in a box, in a box, in a closet, in a room with 30-35% humidity????

OP, sorry for the hijack, but I just know he's going to be here soon!

Seriously. Good to know there's a third 1st tier media. Have you heard of the Verbatim Ultra?
03-03-2021, 10:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Choices today are very simple. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim AZO (never heard about the Ultra series), both made my CMC Magnetics in Taiwan. That's it! Both companies sold all their DVD manufacturing rights and technology, some say TY sold them their machines also, to CMC.

Only Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim AZO discs are first tier. Everything else, including what CMC manufactures is 2nd or 3rd tier.

Edit: Look closely at the Verbatim discs at Staples. If they don't have the (now tiny) AZO logo, they're 2nd or 3rd tier discs from any country. If they do have the AZO label, it's likely really old stock or some odd fluke because UAE or any other country other than CMC Taiwan haven't been available in the U.S. for years. AFAIK, when Verbatim sold their rights to CMC, all their other factories worldwide were shut down.

Hopefully lordsmurf, lordsmurf, lordsmurf! will appear as he knows more about the story.
Thank you for the reply. I just received from Amazon a 50-pc Verbatim UltraLife Gold archival Grade DVD-R, shiny, with Hard Coat, no stack Ring, p/n 95355. Made in UAE.

According to verbatim website:

Gold layer maximizes disc lifetime – Silver layer ensures compatibility
AZO™ Technology for superior performance and reliability
Stored properly, designed to last up to 100 years

https://www.verbatim.com/prod/optical-media/professional-optical/archival-grade-gold-dvd-r/ultralife-sku-95355/

Taken at face value, this seems to be a Tier 1 disk. Not made in Taiwan, no AZO mark on the spindle label.
In this day and age - Almost impossible to find 'the truth'...The disks look similar (almost identical) to another 'AZO' verbatim disk I have.

Well, I am committed to these at this point.
J