Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know that I just picked up a 50 disk cakebox of Verbatim DVD-R disks at the local Fry's and on the outer wrapper it said "Made in United Arab Emir" (aka "UAE"). I checked the ID and it is "MCC 03RG20", so I'm sort of assuming that this is "first rate media" (according to your web site). That's all. I just thought you might like to know that these MCC 03RG20 disks are now being manufactured in UAE, in addition to the other countries you have listed on your web site.

P.S. Thanks for the nice web site about DVD media.
Media is getting to be more confusing, and honestly more depressing, as the years go by.

Verbatim DVD media made in Taiwan is manufactured for Mitsubishi at the CMC or Prodisc facilities. Verbatim has people there to oversee things (or at least they have throughout the past, as recent as last year, according to Verbatim Europe). Disc geeks often call these "MIT" Verbatims.

Verbatim DVD media made in India is manufactured for Mitsubishi at the Moser Baur facility. Again, people on location (or at least were historically). Disc geeks often call these "MII" Verbatims.

Verbatim DVD media made in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is manufactured by Falcon Technologies (FTI). Now Falcon media are being promoted by various online stores as "the best" and "professional" and "A grade" and all that sort of crap -- much like Ritek, Mitsui/MAM-A, Prodisc and others have done in the past. As we know, those are just marketing words. You can call a bowl of dog food "gourmet", but adjectives are just words -- not reality changers.

FTI media is getting the usual praises from people that don't know anything -- the tech lemmings that just like anything new. But testers of the media are reporting mediocre to dismal results on various forums, blogs and tech sites online.

As usual, the confused disc geek crowd is suggesting the fault of bad/inferior burns lies with the drives or the firmwares, and you need to use this one special drive, blah blah blah. More stupidity from the stupid crowd. Let's remember that Verbatim discs are revered because of how well they work in such a wide array of equipment, at any number of burns speeds, and yield high quality burns, playback and reads.

To discount some of the early bad reviews, the members of the confused disc crowd have also suggested "bad batches", as if a 25 spindle is considered a "batch" of media. A true batch of discs is many thousands of discs from a single run, not 25-100 discs in one spindle. Beyond this, we know Verbatim to be solid media with little to no problems.

Back in 2003 or so, according to reports at the time (mostly from Prodisc), Verbatim/Mitsubishi "partnered" with Prodisc, MBI and CMC, to get them in a state where they could reliably manufacture high-quality Verbatim (MCC) discs. Almost like big brother taking little brothers under his wing, and teaching them the ropes. Verbatim/MCC needed to expand past their single Singapore facility, which now serves as a "new media" plant more than anything else. I don't know that something similar happened at FTI.

We may have a situation here, like we see with brands like Maxell or Memorex, where one manufacturer's media is simply bought and re-branded. I've not seen evidence either way.

Since the down economy hit, a number of manufacturers have quite honestly sucked at communicating with journalists and websites about their products. I lost my contacts at a few manufacturers (I assume they lost their jobs?), and the generic contact info almost never gets a response. We'll see what turns up later in the year.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Free Member

"Since the down economy hit, a number of manufacturers have quite honestly sucked at communicating with journalists and websites about their products."

This is why I'm dubious as to the quality of media in such a difficult time.
10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Free Member

I followed the link to Amazon on the blank media review page and ordered a few days ago. My copy of DVD Identifier said they were made my Mitsubichi in the United Arab Emirates. I did not notice a reference to FTI. I am about to burn of these DVD's right now to see how they work. Thanks.
10-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Well, much like CMC, Prodisc and MBI, it's currently assumed that FTI is manufacturing completely to Mitsubishi specs, and using the Mitsubishi materials. In fact, the "gold archival" Verbatim are indeed made to the Verbatim specs. It's only logical that the standard media are the same.

Honestly, it's the quality control (QC) that's most suspect, given the unusually high number of complaints for the discs from experienced/seasoned Verbatim users. While I do question the re-branding issue until confirmed otherwise, it's probably unlikely. I tend to be cautious, as editor of the media guides. I don't want to jump to crazy conclusions like typical forum users sometimes do on those other sites. Need to wait and see, read, and listen.

The UAE media just started to appear in North America in a measurable way this past summer -- so just a few months now.

Report back what you find on the media. Burn some, play them back, run some disc quality tests (explained in the guide pages), and be sure to mention what DVD burner is being used.

Also remember that the best burn speed for 16x media is 8x or 12x -- not 16x.

Those Amazon prizes of $23-27 per 100-spindle (with free shipping, too!) have been pretty decent for the DVD-R lately. Picked up some myself, although I came up with solid Taiwan discs in my last box full. I almost wish I had some UAE's instead!

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the site.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!