12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Free Member

Is there an advantage to putting files (especially video) to data DVD strictly for computer use? I certainly archive DVD-Video for home playback, but would love to additionally archive my videos as standalone MPEGs on disc.

I know regular DVD+/-R can act as data discs, but should it be done on discs dedicated to data rather than video? Are data discs still sold? I can't seem to find them anywhere now...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Both for business and personal, files are routinely archived to disc as source. Dupes are maintained on hard drives, too.

There's no such thing as a "data disc" or a "video disc". The discs are just discs.

As an analogy, I've seen something similar on large cars and small trucks that use the same tires. Brand X sells the tire as a "truck tire" and Brand Y sells it as a "large car tire". You can use Brand X on a car and Brand Y on a truck -- it's just a tire.

Same for discs. Video is just data. Whether it's DVD-Video formatted data or computer files -- it's all just files and data. There's nothing "video" about it.

Many discs advertise as being "120 minute" DVD blanks -- another silly idea. I can put anywhere from 60 to 240 minutes on that disc, and quality will be excellent (few factors depending).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Great, thanks! I had a feeling you'd say that