digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Taiyo Yuden second choice to Verbatim DVD discs? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/1889-taiyo-yuden-second.html)

admin 12-27-2009 10:47 PM

Taiyo Yuden second choice to Verbatim DVD discs?

from email...

Quote:

Hello. You recommend Verbatim DVD but I have had better luck with Taiyo Yuden across the board in different DVD players. I'm surprised you make them a second choice. I have never heard of anyone having problems with Taiyo Yuden. For movies, I prefer the (-) format. I personally have had problems with Verbatim, mainly in this Sony DVD player. Samsung DVD players too. Philips DVD players seem the most reliable in my experience. Have you done some kind of statistical analysis to decide Taiyo Yuden is a second choice?
Yes, the ratings are created from a pretty complex analysis from a long-term set of private study data on blank media. Statistically speaking, Mitsubishi media does perform better -- albeit only very slightly -- than Taiyo Yuden.

Verbatim media tends to be more compatible with players, the outcome of the highly reflective metal AZO dyes and quality MCC materials.

Beyond that, yes, DVD-R is more compatible than DVD+R -- regardless of booktype/bitset being set to DVD+R or DVD-ROM -- although only marginally. It's more of an issue on players made prior to 2005. The quality of the media is honestly more important than format type.

Taiyo Yuden has known problems with some DVD burners and players, and there have been quality issue with TY discs from time to time. Nothing major, but it would overall put the discs just under Mitsubishi/Verbatim.

If I were grading the media, TY would get a solid "A" while Verbatim got an "A+". In other words, there's nothing wrong with TY media. It's good stuff. But another company just so happens to make something slightly better, according to the average experience.

If TY works for you, don't change on our account. It's listed as a good disc, you're getting good results, and that's all that matters.

Deltadogblue 12-31-2009 06:55 PM

I have bought Verbatim DVD-R whose Manufacturers ID shows that it is made by CMC Magnetics .The ID is CMCMAG-AM3 and I can not burn anything on these dvd's. I do not know what to do with these dvd's, My burner can burn Verbatim disc DVD-R ID MCC 03RG20.Can anyone help me.Can these be buned on any other burner Thanks in advance

admin 12-31-2009 08:17 PM

You bought one of the new "Value Series" Verbatim branded discs, in a tape-wrapped package, if it has CMC as the ID --- not the Mitsubishi MCC DVD-R or DVD+R.

The only thing you can do with those CMC is give them away, return them to the store where they were bought, or throw them in the trash.

CMC media is unreliable. Another burner probably won't help much, if you've already tried the discs, and they gave bad results.