Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone okay? I'm from Brazil and I loved the forum and the website, great job. And Thanks for the responses "Admin" and all others.

I was reading this guide http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/buy-dvd-cases.htm
. In it I could see that most cases are bad. The only one that was saved was single DVD case. I wonder if she even if it only saved?

Wallets are easier to store, and has little size. But I currently have, scratch / ruin my DVD / CD. There is a mark of quality and durability for Wallets?

PS: I do not know english very well read or write, so I'm using Google translator. Sorry if something in the text become meaningless.

THX
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hi thiagoff8

Soft or hard (clamshell) wallets are convenient but I would only use a wallet case to carry back-ups, not originals.
I'd make sure that the sleeves were soft and not abrasive and not leave the case exposed to direct sunlight or heat.
For example, in a car I'd keep the case either covered with a blanket or stored under the seat.

I'm far from an expert but I keep my original CD/DVDs in their original cases and keep all my other archive quality back-ups stored in drawers where they are not exposed to moisture or temperature extremes.

If I want to use a wallet case to carry some around with me on a trip or where ever, I burn a copy and keep my originals and archives safe.
I recommend the more durable hard clamshell case for portability.

Perhaps somebody else on this forum has recommendations on the best brands of wallet/clamshell cases?
The following users thank Harry for this useful post: admin (06-05-2010)
06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The Google translate isn't always accurate, no. It can convert words, but it does poorly at the grammar and language structure. In addition to an English translation, you're welcome to also post in Spanish or Portuguese. I read/write Spanish, and can fumble my way through Portuguese okay. So always post English, but you can add Spanish/Portuguese, too. It might help.

I think part of the translation was butchered, yes. But I'll guess my way through the question.

Yes, most cases are bad. It's one of the sad truths of digital optical media. Most blank discs are mediocre quality, many DVD burners and DVD players are not very good. Consumers insist the products be cheaper than is realistic, so we get crap instead of quality products much of the time.

All wallets scratch discs. Sometimes the scratches are microscopic, too, not visible to the naked eye. Only use a wallet when the discs will not be pulled out a lot. I use wallets to store seldom used discs, like software discs. Some of my movies (used movies, came with no case) in wallets.

Cheap plastic cases can warp discs. So watch for that. Only uses cases that keep a disc naturally flat. Some plastic case spindles -- the little round part that holds your disc -- damage the inner ring of a disc. Watch for this. Only uses plastic cases that hold a disc, instead of putting lots of pressure on it.

I use spindles to store seldom used backups. The spindles are stored out of the light, in a file cabinet, a drawer or a dark closet shelf.

High-traffic discs -- discs I use a lot -- are kept in CD jewel cases or good DVD cases. My DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs are kept on small 10-disc spindles.

I hope that answers the question for you.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!

Tags
cases dvd cd wallets