Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Previous post corrections:

Quote:
But referring to the "DVD Burning & Media Quality Concepts Visual Test"
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-tests.htm

I have been experiencing a condition that appears to be similar to image 2 & 3 and I am fearful that it may be #2 (dye melting).
What I meant to say was "similar to image 2 & 4..."

Quote:
Signs:
I will try to describe the burned disc condition a little better.
Using the visual test from
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-tests.htm
what I'm seeing is not as dramatic as image #2 and more pronounced than image #3.
What I meant to say was "not as dramatic as image #2 and more pronounced than image #4.

Update:
I forgot to mention before that the same strange "artifacts' also occured with Taiyo Yuden (DVD-R47VAL600SK) Valueline DVD-R 8X "shiny" Silver Thermal Lacquer Blank DVDR Media Discs 4.7GB in 100 Pack Tape Wrap.

Media Brand: Taiyo Yuden DVD -R
Unique Disc Identifier: DVD-R:TYG02
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Co. LtdManufacturer ID: TYG02
Media Type ID: ?
Product Revision:
Blank capacity: 2,298,496 Sectors - 4.71 GB (4.38 GB)
Recording Speeds: ? 1x-2.4x, 4x, 6x-8x,
(per DVD Identifier)
And these discs have a maximum rated speed of 8x so perhaps we can safely say that the Imgburn software is doing it's job, speedwise?

Tonite I began burning discs with ImagBurn scaled back to 4x.
The first disc was as clean as a babies behind.

I adjusted ImgBurn up to 6x and the burn was as visually clean and crisp as the 4x and noticeably faster.

But when I jumped it back up to 8x I saw the same strange "artifacts" as described in the previous post.
Back down to 6x and burned half a dozen discs in rapid succession with no sign of the artifacts.
This test (and I wish that I thought to try it 250 reburns ago) seems to clearly indicate that the "problem" is speed related.

Now is this a definite corruption of the media data (as in "a bad dye spread or dye melting"), in which case I would need to burn again all of those reburns and have wasted 2 1/2 spindles of archive quality DVD media?
Or do you think that those reburns are still good as in "a good burn made on a variable speed drive." Even though the setting was at 8x?
Is there anyway to know for sure one way or another?

Another question comes to mind...
Based upon my limited experience, this problem still appears to be unique to these 2 "refurbished" Pioneer burners
(DVR - X162Q-R Pioneer DVR-X162Q 20x DVD+/-RW DL USB 2.0)
Should this even be ocurring at 8x speed with these burners?
Based upon what both the Geek & Pioneer techs say, NO!
So are these burners faulty?

One more question/experiment...
I have always used my full size external burners in the vertical position (for better air circulation), as opposed to the horizontal, or flat position.
Do you think that discs spinning in the vertical position could cause these irregularities?
None of my flat burning internal burners have ever displayed this, but then neither did my horizontal HP externals, even at max burning speed.

I will try this out for myself and report back if there is any noticeable difference based on burner positioning.

I sure hope that I don't have to again reburn all of those reburns due to this and I really hate the RMA process unless it is absolutely necessary.

Any professional/experiencial comments/observations/recommendations as to what and why this is occurring are appreciated.

Last edited by Harry; 05-11-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: error in previous post
The following users thank Harry for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is being answered in the new consolidated thread found at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...se-p11751.html
Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)