Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Super media

complaint 1 22 10

i received this order 5 minutes ago and unpacking it there is a glue substance all over the packing material, the white peanuts "protective packaging" stuck to my hands and could not get them off, had to go wash in hot water , what kind of service is this? And what am i to do with the dvds

right now my hands are itching and i do not feel well,, did you poison me??????

I bagged up the dvds with a rag,put them out side, i won't touch them, you have to arrange to pick them up and package them i am cancelling the order on my credit card, i don't know what you have poisened me with

i am one unhappy dude!
------------------------------------------------------------------
i can't get it washed off

cc wi consumer protection agency
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Is this something you have read and copied/pasted from another site? If so, please give a link to the site.

Or is this supposed to be a personal experience? If so, I'll see what I can do to clear up this situation. Or at very least, I'll try to contact Supermediastore -- they've always been pretty decent at communication with me, both as a rep for this site, and as a long-time customer (since at least 2003).

From all the years and years I have used SMS for media, it's always well-packed, using standard packing materials (foam peanuts, cardboard spacers, air packs, good sturdy shipping boxes, etc).

Even if the peanuts were somehow inferior or malformed, it would not cause any irritation to skin unless you have some sort of allergy to the components of said peanuts. I can't imagine what sort of substance could possibly end up on packing materials, that would cause an allergic response.

One thing I will warn you of, however, is that claiming you've been "poisoned" is a serious accusation. That goes beyond the normal scope of what could be considered a negative review (editorial privilege) -- this could be construed as outright libel if it proves to be untrue/incorrect, and was done with malicious intent. Companies do legally pursue such things, and rightfully so. You need to be very careful with the words you use. "Something made me itch" and "I've been poisoned" are two very different things! (I say this not to defend SMS, but to protect you!)

This just sounds so strange.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Yes this is serious. The dvds are stored in the garage, i carried them out there with a rag and bagged them up, when iopened the container the peanuts, stuck to my hands, they were glued on , i had to drag tem off by scraping them on the garbage can, i wen to wah my hands and the substance would not come off it was tacky to me skin after hot water and dawn soap detergent to get the glue off, my hands itched and i started to hyperventilate.
I receive packages from other vendors with the same contents and have never seen a foreign substance that attached to my skin and caused this situation. I have not felt good since this happened. The next morning my right hand still itched even after i had taken 2 showers.
The garbage bag that i threw the peanuts in are in the garage in a garbage bag my wife had already disposed of in the recycler, i took it into the garage and saved it where the box that came and the dvds are there. I called UPS and filed a compaint with them, i have that documented, the person i called, badge number etc, they are supposed to be contacvting me tommorow,, i have not notified the police yet, but all the goods are here, and i'm not touching it , some one else is going to have to remove it. I am a REAL ESTATE BROKER for your information, and i am in the senior citizen category. I have already reordered from a vendor that i purchase from , and i will not return to these people. My statement stands as is, and am really disturbed, i have 9 grandchildren 4 children and have lived in this community since 1964, and was raised on a farm which i still own part of. If you want pictures i have them of the packaging sitting in the garage, it's not coming back in this house, it should be in the garbage, if you want to see the pictures tell me where i can send them. MY WIFE WAS RIGHT THERE WHEN I SAID WHAT THE HELL IS THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

IF THEY ARE GOING TO BE SHIPPING CONTENTS, THEY BETTER GET SOME HEALTH INSPECTORS

01-24-2010, 10:29 PM

How well sealed was the box?
Is it possible something happened to it in transit? (Package tampering.)

You'd want to have this reverse traced long the delivery route (UPS). An analysis of the substance could be done at forensic labs.

Most of the packages I've dealt with online in the past 15-20 years -- yes, I've been doing business online a LONG time now -- have been damaged/etc by the carrier and not the merchant. I've found merchants to be at fault only a slim minority of the time.

I guess it's always possible something happened at SMS prior to shipment, but that would be highly unusual.

Again, I've contact SMS, I've brought it to their attention.

Whatever the outcome, keep me informed.

01-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Cornstarch packing peanuts are biodegradable, and can be sticky when subjected to high humidity or water (rain, mist, etc). I've had these before, they are yellow-brown in tint (not white), and tend to be firmer than the standard white poly foam peanuts.

They can be mashed, and will not break apart easily. A white foam peanut is more brittle (easy to break) and does not really mash into another shape if squeezed.

Did you maybe have some cornstarch peanuts?

If your packing materials came from the very bottom of a batch of peanuts, then it's always possible that some cornstarch dust was mixed in with the peanuts.

I don't really like these kinds of peanuts, as they can settle during shipment, but it's "environmentally friendly" material. But it's just another part of our world "going green".

Look at the photo on this blog: http://japiblog.dddgames.com/?p=23

That sounds just like your experience!

I think I solved it?

Copy of image from blog post in link:
peanutes-rdimg7133.jpg

01-24-2010, 10:50 PM

I have already filed a complaint with the STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE TRADE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION
01-24-2010, 11:04 PM

I can understand the anger.
But is it possibly cornstarch peanuts? How do the peanuts in that photo look compared to the ones you had?
Although, I must note that cornstarch is a common homemade "itch relief". Of course, cornstarch peanuts may have more than cornstarch as an ingredient.
Again, very strange.

01-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I can understand the anger.
But is it possibly cornstarch peanuts? How do the peanuts i that photo look compared to the ones you had?
Although, I must note that cornstarch is a common homemade "itch relief". Of course, cornstarch peanuts may have more than cornstarch as an ingredient.
Again, very strange.
------------------------------------------------------

Those are the "PACKING MATERIAL" EXCEPT THESE ARE SUBSTANCE ADDED AND STICK TO YOU HANDS AND MAKE YOU ITCH AND DO NOT DETACH, the container was not sealed, the bubble wrap was loose so when i pulled it all out, i was stuck with substance on my hands.

SUPER MEDIA WILL NOT RESPOND AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!, I got a call from LINKO, a girl trying to be apologetic, wanting me to send photos and i had already sent them to SUPERMEDIA, "NO RESPONSE", NOW THEY WANT ME TO BUY A PAIR OF PROTECTIVE GLOVES AND SEAL IT BACK UP AND SEND IT TO THEM. I HAVE A COPY OF THAT EMAIL, and i kindly toward her on the phone and by email, THAT IN NO WAY WAS I TOUCHING THEM AGAIN,., THEY CAN SEND SOMEBODY HERE TO BOX THEM OR PICK THEM UP , NOW IF YOUR A REP FOR THEM I WOULD SUGGEST YOU CONTACT THEM.. I CALLED THE CHIEF OF POLICE THIS MORNING AND ADVISED HIM ALSO, HE TOLD ME TO SEAL IT AND STORE IT, AND I SAID IT'S IN THE GARAGE, I',M NOT TOUCHING IT. SO SUPER MEDIA STEP UP AND BE ACCOUNTED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------
I have a daughter in charge of an office of a major firm here, which is a drop off for UPS and i called her to ask her if she had ever encountered this,, and if one one her childs, my grandchilds teacher told them once these things were edible????????
I'd hate to see the inside of my stomach with these.

LINKO WILL NIOT RESPOND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nocoastersplease; 01-25-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: missing
01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

As of yesterday and today, they changed their mind, they told me to dispose of the product which i did,, they apparently were not coming to pack it up as i refused to,., and they have said they are refunding my money.

I will never deal with them again how ever, no way, they need to clean up their act.

I already have in place a replacement order from Newegg as of yesterday, unopened yet, i am down to my last 2 from my previoys order with Newegg..

Aknowledgement as to status as you requested.

Best of luck
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I contacted somebody I know at Supermediastore, and invited him (or somebody else from SMS) to respond here, if they wanted to do so. As expected, he gave me a reply!

While I won't share emails between myself and other businesses, I don't think there's any harm in sharing this:
Quote:
...we use biodegradable peanuts for our packaging. These biodegradable peanuts are environmental friendly. They are starch-based peanuts and nontoxic and much safer for humans and pets. The drawback compared for these biodegradable peanuts is that they are lower resilience and are soluble when come in contact with water or humid weather..... We use biodegradable peanuts as our initiative to stay green as oppose to using the polystyrene-based packing peanuts.
This confirms that SMS uses cornstarch peanuts.

As previous guessed, it's most likely nothing more than the starch in the peanuts. Somewhere en route, humidity affected the materials.

Even dampness in a person's own hands -- be it sweat, dampness after washing hands, etc -- can start the reaction. So if your hands were not 100% perfectly dry, it could explain the sticking.

The aforementioned powder was likely loose starch, either from the bottom of a peanut supply container used by SMS, or due to the breakdown process.

If the package was not sealed completely by Supermediastore, or if it was opened or damaged in transit by UPS, then that may explain how humidity could have gotten in. (But even then, humidity leaches through cardboard.)

And while people often equate humidity to summertime, there's quite a bit more humidity in winter air. It's a humid time of year, for sure. My own packages from Amazon have cardboard that feels mushy compared to normal dry cardboard. These kinds of materials -- cornstarch or cardboard -- all attract and store dampness.

Being a stand-up company, it appears Supermediastore gave you a full refund.

If you like Newegg better, then go ahead and use them. Sometimes they have good prices, too. However, it will not be much longer before more merchants start to also "go green" and use the environmentally-friendly starch peanutes, too! You may run into these again.

In the end, it sounds like everything worked out for you.

Thanks for the posts, it's been very useful.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

I have seen that statement before and as i said before i have never been insulted with a shipment like this that you had to take it to the garbage and then be advised to WASH YOU HANDS IN SAND, You can advise your contact that the free gratuity they offered me , which i told them not to send, came today and i refused it, being returned to sender. The best thing they can do is pack in paper to eleviate this issue, regardless with their customer response , no customer service attention, i will never do anything with them ever.

i HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE LIKE THIS AND WILL DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO PREVENT IT AGAIN, THROUGH "NO NEGLIGENCE OF MINE" AS SOME LIKE TO STRIKE AT..

THEIR DVDS WERE DUMPED AS WELL AS THEY INSTRUCTED, WTH A SHOVEL
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Free Member

Any chance that you're sensitive and/or allergic to corn? That seems like the most logical explanation for the reaction.
02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Your Stand Up Company , went South, my money is not on it's way as they said, so a formal dispute is on hand,my payment is with held, and the EPA has a copy of the complaint, along with the Wi Dept Con Protection.

Just got off the phone with the credit card company.

Nice outfit for some apparently, but not here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
I contacted somebody I know at Supermediastore, and invited him (or somebody else from SMS) to respond here, if they wanted to do so. As expected, he gave me a reply!

While I won't share emails between myself and other businesses, I don't think there's any harm in sharing this:
This confirms that SMS uses cornstarch peanuts.

As previous guessed, it's most likely nothing more than the starch in the peanuts. Somewhere en route, humidity affected the materials.

Even dampness in a person's own hands -- be it sweat, dampness after washing hands, etc -- can start the reaction. So if your hands were not 100% perfectly dry, it could explain the sticking.

The aforementioned powder was likely loose starch, either from the bottom of a peanut supply container used by SMS, or due to the breakdown process.

If the package was not sealed completely by Supermediastore, or if it was opened or damaged in transit by UPS, then that may explain how humidity could have gotten in. (But even then, humidity leaches through cardboard.)

And while people often equate humidity to summertime, there's quite a bit more humidity in winter air. It's a humid time of year, for sure. My own packages from Amazon have cardboard that feels mushy compared to normal dry cardboard. These kinds of materials -- cornstarch or cardboard -- all attract and store dampness.

Being a stand-up company, it appears Supermediastore gave you a full refund.

If you like Newegg better, then go ahead and use them. Sometimes they have good prices, too. However, it will not be much longer before more merchants start to also "go green" and use the environmentally-friendly starch peanutes, too! You may run into these again.

In the end, it sounds like everything worked out for you.

Thanks for the posts, it's been very useful.
02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Free Member

Are you allergic to corn? Have you ever had anything resembling an allergic reaction after touching/eating corn?

I believe that the peanuts stuck to your hand. I believe that they gave you a rash. I'm also sure that Linkyo didn't try to poison you. We know they use corn starch peanuts. Plenty of people have allergies and sensitivities to certain foods and other things (I used to get rashes from touching certain metals). Something in the realm of allegic reaction is a lot more likely than a major retailer trying to poison a random customer.

Also, for what it's worth, while I know that the situation may have been frustrating to scary, screaming about how old you are, what your job is, how big your family is, and how important these things make you will only frustrate customer service representatives, making it harder to get everything done.
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bix* View Post
Are you allergic to corn? Have you ever had anything resembling an allergic reaction after touching/eating corn?

I believe that the peanuts stuck to your hand. I believe that they gave you a rash. I'm also sure that Linkyo didn't try to poison you. We know they use corn starch peanuts. Plenty of people have allergies and sensitivities to certain foods and other things (I used to get rashes from touching certain metals). Something in the realm of allegic reaction is a lot more likely than a major retailer trying to poison a random customer.

Also, for what it's worth, while I know that the situation may have been frustrating to scary, screaming about how old you are, what your job is, how big your family is, and how important these things make you will only frustrate customer service representatives, making it harder to get everything done.
Apparently honesty has gone by the way side also, "If they can't stand the heat then it's time to get out of the kitchen media business".

Isn't the first time i went to battle won't be the last probably.
02-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Free Member

So...are you allergic to corn?
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Are you a doctor?
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Free Member

No, but as someone who's dealt with allergies and knows about this stuff, it's certainly the a good question to ask after finding out that the packing peanuts were made of corn starch. Certainly a better one than "Did Linkyo try to poison a customer?".

The posters here have tried to help you, being polite the whole way through, and you've been nothing but hostile, treating us all as shills for the company that you insist intentionally tried to poison you for no apparent reason. Regardless of the reaction that you had, there's no reason to think that Linkyo intended to cause you any harm and that anyone here has tried to do anything other than help you get to the bottom of this.
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Put the shoe on the other foot see how it feels, when i have to hound a company for service, for lousy shipments, then get lied to , let it lie with the proper situation, i'm done with them , out of here
02-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Free Member

I wouldn't have screamed that someone tried to poison me. I know that much. Did you accuse Linkyo/SMS of poisoning you when you communicated with them? Did you give them the schpiel about how you're so important because you have X job and Y sized family? If so, I'm pretty sure that made it harder for them to help you.