Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Free Member

I am trying to help a friend who has a Mac, for which i know nothing about. Can someone please tell me how to burn a 780MB music file onto a 700MB CD. Is there a certain software that my friend can use that might possibly compress the file to fit? Somebody please help, thanks in advance!
The following users thank Chala for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-07-2010)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

No, it won't fit. The file is too big.

Beyond that, audio is written to CD as CD-Audio, and is counted in minutes. It's PCM (pulse-code modulation) digital audio data -- there are no files on audio CDs. A 700MB CD-R will hold 80 minutes of audio, and that's it.

The only other choice is to use the 99-minute CD-R. However, these discs are no longer made (as far as I know), and they were not always reliable. I'd certainly suggest against them for any archival use.

This person may simply need to split his/her content onto two discs.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Chala (07-29-2010), mlongue1 (12-07-2010)
07-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Free Member

Thank you!
The following users thank Chala for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-07-2010)
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Free Member

Admin, could you explain about the difference between data and minutes (audio) for CD-R? I just burned a 75-minute audio disc that totals about 760 MB of data.

How is it CD-Rs can handle more with audio?
The following users thank Reading Bug for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-07-2010)
08-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Have you ever bought a hard drive, and then wondered why it wasn't the size you thought it should be? For example, consider a 320GB Western Digital hard drive. After you install it and format it, you only have 298GB of space.

22GB went to the NTFS file system. (This assumes you have Windows XP or newer, and formatted it with the suggested sizes.)

CD is the same as a hard drive -- it's just another storage medium. Computer data needs a file system. And that file system takes up space.

CD-Audio is modulated digital information that has no included file system. There are no files on an audio CD.

When you "rip" a CD, you put the data into a file container, which adds some overhead. And then it's being housed in the file system, and you see it's size as reflected by that point of reference.

There are other ways to burn CD-R that allow for more data on a disc. That file system skips some of the error correction built into the standard CD specs, and therefore is a more unreliable disc. (Compare it to your stomach. It currently exists at a certain size. You can choose to put more in there, but you'll have to suffer the consequences!)

Remember how I wrote "formatted it with the suggested sizes" up above? Hard drives can be altered to different sizes depending on how you format them. Different file systems can also change the amount of space available for data. Linux, Windows and Mac all have native file systems, as do other operating systems. The XBOX is a good example, too. It uses a modified version of FAT32 (FATX) so that you can't stick it into a computer and read/write data. Windows sees a blank unformatted drive. Technically Windows sees a blank CD Audio, too, but it puts track links into Explorer view, which instigates a media player when the files are run. (Notice that you can't copy the "files" from a CD Audio to your hard drive. Ripping is a required process. There's nothing actually on the disc -- it's just what Windows is showing you.)

I know that probably breaks your current understanding of how discs store data. Admittedly, this can be complicated to wrap your head around at first.

Hope that helps.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-07-2010)

Tags
burning, cd's compress