Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I only identify my DVDs with a number, written with a soft permanent marker, so I don't need/won't print anything on them.

I searched this site and forum for a clear answer on this question: from a strictly archival perspective, is there a better surface?

Thanks

Nisaea
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Free Member

Have a read through this thread- It will answer your question and you'll learn useful additional info as well:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...0139#post10139
The following users thank dyfan for this useful post: Nisaea (08-07-2010)
08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I had read that thread, and I just re-read it to make sure that the info I wanted wasn't already there: it's not.

What I'd like to know is this: does one "finish" (thermal, inkjet, etc...) make longer lasting discs? Or does it have no bearing at all?

One of my favourite suppliers (in Canada) sells 100 TY premium DVD-Rs for these prices:
-Thermal = 30$
-Inkjet = 45$

So if I learn that one or the other offers better archival results, it will end up making a huge price difference.

Thanks

Nisaea
08-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Longevity of the media is determined by three primary factors:
  • Heat
  • Moisture
  • Light
In terms of heat and moisture, all disc surfaces are identical.

However, for the light aspect, certain surfaces can still pass light from the top side, while others will not. This becomes a moot point, of course, when the discs are stored in dark cases. But for anything generally exposed and left out, the discs with branding or inkjet surfaces would theoretically last long, as light cannot pass. Those surfaces are opaque, and not partially translucent.

Silver-topped "thermal surface" media was made to be printed on, not used as-is by consumers. The silver surface is a magnet for fingerprints and gunk, as it was designed to adhere with thermal printing. Unfortunately, it adheres smudges, too! And then the top of the disc is not covered with any opaque coverings, be it branding or inkjet surface -- you're supposed to add that surface yourself via thermal print.

So I would not suggest "shiny top" thermal media for general use, no.

I'd suggest you get Verbatim DVD-R branded: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...SIN=B0009YJXMI
Only $35 from Amazon.ca with free shipping. That's what I use.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Nisaea (08-08-2010)
08-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Free Member

Thanks admin. It's strange that the very thing that reads DVDs can also cause them to degrade...

I was also looking for verbatim disks, and ca.buy.com has them for significantly less (when bought in drums of 50). I contacted them to make sure they were not using the good (yellow) packaging image to sell valueline.

Thanks for the info.

Nisaea
08-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Well, it's not so much laser light as it is the light from bulbs or the sun. True, the laser will have affects in time, in theory, but I would think all other factors would affect it first, including the other light sources.

Because of stocking issues, wild price variations, and potential for "bait and switch" (sending the so-called "same item" even though the model is not 100% the same), I no longer regularly suggest Buy.com in the USA or Canada. Right now, we know Amazon has the good AZO DVD-R for $35 CAD/CND per spindle, which is a decent price.

How much are the 50 packs from Buy.com? Usually two 50 packs costs more than one 100-pack, from either store. Be VERY SURE that those are not Value Series or Life Series discs, either.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Free Member

I'm still waiting for the customer support reply, and I won't buy before he/she can confirm it.

They're very cheap, at ~15$ for 50, with free (budget) shipping.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit: Comparing the regular prices + shipping + taxes, here are the current results for the 3 suppliers that offer the lower prices:

Blankmedia 69$ 4X50
Amazon 66$ 4X50
Buy 64$ 4X50

Buying two 50 DVD spindles is cheaper than one 100 DVD spindle on these 3 sites.

Nisaea

Last edited by Nisaea; 08-09-2010 at 07:29 AM.
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Free Member

Hello,

Just to confirm that Amazon (at least the .ca) still ships the good Verbatim disks (blue and orange for the DVD-R). It's much cheaper to buy two spindles of 50 than one spindle of 100.

Right now they're back ordered (only received 2 spindles), but hey, it's the good stuff!

Nisaea
The following users thank Nisaea for this useful post: admin (08-17-2010)