Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Free Member

I normally handle my discs by holding the sides.

I noticed today that one of my Maxell DVD-R discs had a partial fingerprint mark on the top side, so I gently touched one of my fingers to it, and sure enough, the top side of the disc had a "smear" on it. Is this normal?

I have a stack of Sony DVD+R, and the top side of them was unchanged by touching it with a finger.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Please describe the surface of the Maxell disc. There were actually several different types of surfaces, over the past decade.

If will also help to know the speed of the disc, and possibly the media ID (manufacturer information) of the disc.

In general, it's the same issue that affects "shiny silver" discs. You might want to search this forum for past posts on shiny silver media. The glassy polycarbonate surface is made to adhere to screened branding and labels. The side effect is that it loves to adhere to fingerprint oils, too. This is why shiny silver discs, or even partially-screen media, is not suggested.

It's nasty. The fingerprint oils in turn attract dirt, dust and grime. Your DVD collection ends up being something rather filthy if you're not careful. You should see some of the shiny-surface DVDs (not burned, but poorly pressed retails) at rental shops. YUCK!

I have seen it where screened surfaces use a process that leaves the media with a similarly slick surface. Those too, can collect fingerprints, although not as bad. Maxell surfaces can be one of them, although it does vary some. And those surfaces can generally be wiped clean with alcohol on a paper towel. (Note: alcohol also removes marker ink.)

Shiny silver surfaces tend to just smear when wiped, even when using alcohol.

Never use acetone. (Bye, bye disc!)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Free Member

It's hard to describe what makes this Maxell's surface different.
I really hadn't paid too much to it until really.
It's a Maxell MXL RG03 8x.

I have some older Maxells DVD-R 4x made by Taiyou Yuden TYG01, and they don't have the fingerprint issues.

I guess I'll have to be careful. I only have about 10 left.

I don't burn alot of discs so the 10 should last a while.

Which ones would you recommend now that don't have this fingerprint problem?
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Verbatim DVD-R have never had this issue. And best of all, these are some of the best blanks you can buy. Yes, better than MXL or TY! (Although only slightly.)

Only buy Verbatim MCC AZO branded (non-Life Series, non-Value Series) discs from Amazon, Supermediastore or Meritline. Those stores also have the best prices on blanks, which is good.

Links to the Verbatim deals can be found on the review guide on this site at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Just get a 100-pack of DVD-R or DVD+R, even if you don't use a lot of discs. Go ahead and stock up while the "good discs" are still available for such a low cost, from such an easy-to-find location.

The 8x MXL you have now is probably that slick brown surface. It has a gloss layer on it that can also adhere fingerprints. It got worse after the brand switched to 100% Ritek use.

The yellow 4x MXL/TY discs did not have the high gloss finish.

The blue-green 2x surface for MXL/RITEK discs was a pearled semi-gloss that would vary at times. Sometimes fingerprints would stick, but usually not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Free Member

Yes, the 8x Maxell DVD-R have the brown surface.
Yes, the 4x Maxell DVD-R have the yellow surface.
I have also have some 8x Fuji DVD-R that don't have the fingerprint issue.

You don't think people will be able to burn Blu-rays anytime soon?

100 Verbatim would literally last a lifetime.
08-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Blu-ray burning is available now, as has been for about 2-3 years. However, it's not the most friendly of formats to work with, either from the media or the content side of the equation.

There are also factors that preclude it from being suggested as an archival format, in our editorial opinion, as posted in another thread in the media forums a few months ago.

It's better to have a lifetime worth of blanks available, than run out and not have good discs available to you anymore. Or have them be more costly. And it's not like $26 will break the bank, which is good.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!