Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Free Member

I am in Australia.
Always used to use Verbatim DVD +R
Last couple of years they are now single speed (16x)
I like to burn at 8x in my (3 years old) LG burner.
Thus I have had to change to use TDK Gold, because they are Multispeed.
What should I do -
- Continue to use TDK Gold Multispeed (burning at 8x)
- Use Verbatim 16x burn at 8x
- Use Verbatim 16x burn at 16x

I would appreciate advice/opinions
Thanks,
Rob

PS If my failing memory is not failing, I did try some of those Verbatim a couple of years ago. I recall that I got some bad burns using 8x, and had to begrudgingly burn them at 16x
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-04-2010, 03:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Burn good Verbatim Mitsubishi-made 16x media (MCC004 DVD+R, MCC03RG20 DVD-R) at 8x or 12x. That's the optimum speed to burn a 16x disc anyway.

The best burn on 8x media is often achieved at 4x-6x, not 8x.

TDK is generally pretty mediocre media these days, all being budget-grade RITEK or CMC discs that don't always burn well. There are generally more coasters in a pack (10-20 maybe, on average, out of 100 discs burned and tested) while Verbatim/Mitsubishi discs burn near perfect (maybe 1-2 bad discs in a 100-spindle).

TDK Gold CD-R, sold in Australia, have long been CMC discs that give dismal results. I wonder what the media ID is on these TDK DVDs that you're using? I'd bet on CMC, RITEK or maybe MAM-A.

See what you have. If you don't know how to read a media ID, then see this post: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...ia-id-393.html

The one variable that may be an issue, however, is that LG drive. Quite a few LG drives, starting around 2006, began to burn Verbatim discs poorly. Sometimes it's just a matter of needing a firmware upgrade. Sometimes the drive model just doesn't work well with Verbatim (MCC/MKM). I've had 3 of these drives. But because I wanted to use the best discs available, I just spend $30 or so to replace it for a better Pioneer, Samsung, Sony or LiteOn drive.

While keeping that in mind, go ahead and still try the Verbatim discs. Long-term, that would be a better solution than 8x on marginal-quality 8x discs. Even 16x on a good Verbatim disc would be preferred to 8x on a sub-par disc.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
09-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Free Member

Thanks for quick response.
The current tub is Verbatim 16x -R (because they had run out of +R)
The code is -
CMC MAG. AM3

I went back to the last one that I had burned with Verbatim 16x +R
The code is -
MCC 004

I have used +R for years, and it was only because it was a long drive to the store, that I begrudgingly took the -R

I have noticed that my lounge room Pana recorder takes about 4 times longer to finalize the -R
On one of them, it appeared stuck for about 5 minutes, and then managed to finalize it.
I will ring in advance next time to ensure that I get +R

I must confess that I have not had bad burns with any of the TDK's
For any that I do on my PC (LG burner), I always run Nero CDSpeed, and DVDInfoPro.
And I always verify the ones done on my PC.
If they are important ones done in the lounge room Pana, I run those two tests on them.

Is Mitsuibishi a stand alone brand of blank DVD's ?
As I have not seen any for years.

My LG burner is HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55
07/08/17 7U02 (I am guessing that means 17th Aug 2007)
Firmware Revision 1.03
09-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Free Member

OOPs I used 'Verbatim', when I SHOULD HAVE SAID TDK
(I am 68, and so is my brain)
09-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Read this post: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...2501#post12501

That will answer several of your questions.

While CMC is not a great quality disc, it's not necessarily awful either. If you're getting good burns, and the tests verify it, then you should be okay.

The tests that you need to pay most attention to are the TRT (transfer rate test) as well as the scandisc. Modern versions of Nero Disc Speed refer to TRT as the "Benchmark" test, and ScanDisc is unchanged.

From an archival stance, there is some limited value in PI/PO/PIE/PIF type testing, but your drive isn't really good for those anyway.

I reluctantly advise you to stick with what you know works, the TDK CMC discs, assuming you keep up with testing the media.

I'd still suggest trying some Verbatim MCC discs, however.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!