digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Which DVD & hard drive for archving ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2381-dvd-hard-drive.html)

highlander11 08-21-2010 02:46 AM

Which DVD & hard drive for archving ?

I have 4 questions:

I have teac DVD X18 dvd-R its cheaap 50 dvds at a price of 12$ ( around)
but I have videos - family stuff and I dont think they will be good for long term storage,I thought verbatim will do the job, they cost around 25$ ( tax stuff - maby I ll find in less)
but my question is how much they can last and in which speed should I burn them ? x12? x4? x8 ?

my old nec3550a drive died - 5 years
and I want to replace it to lg GH22NP20 IDE
in my country the dominant drive is LG and I had good experience with it... BUT I am still not sure if its a good drive since in US ( from what I saw in the internet) LG are moving to blue ray drives.
are they a good company for drives ?
since I ll use it to backup very valuable pictures and videos

3.the Verbatim DVD -R and DVD+R cost the same and I read the guide that says there isnt a big difference but for long storage time will it effect if its +R or -R ?
I am sure that in 5 ~10 years I ll reburn them so no data will be lost.

4. I just saw Philips, DVD-R and Philips, DVD+R are they worth buying ? since they cost less then Verbatim and its a brand name but I didnot see it in the list :
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

thanks in advance
Highlander11,

admin 08-21-2010 09:19 PM

Welcome to the site. On to the questions...

Quote:

I have teac DVD X18 dvd-R its cheaap 50 dvds at a price of 12$ ( around) but I have videos - family stuff and I dont think they will be good for long term storage,I thought verbatim will do the job, they cost around 25$ ( tax stuff - maby I ll find in less) but my question is how much they can last and in which speed should I burn them ? x12? x4? x8 ?
50 discs for $12 isn't cheap. At best, it's an average price, and for low-grade junk. Where are you? Buy online. The guide at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm lists out good blank DVD deals for USA, Canada and Europe. I regularly buy Verbatim 100-packs for $22-26 range costs (after taxes, including shipping).

It has nothing to do with "long term". If a disc is bad, it's going to be bad the day it's burned. It won't slowly decay in as little as 5-10 years. It's going to take more like 30-50 years for that to happen, for DVD-R or DVD+R media.

If you look over the burning concepts guide at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/med...a-concepts.htm you'll find information on burning speeds. If you buy 16x discs, you never want to burn slower than 8x. In a good burner, I'd suggest 12x burns. (This excludes packet-written DVD recorders, which burn at a realtime slower than 1x.)

Quote:

2. my old nec3550a drive died - 5 years
and I want to replace it to lg GH22NP20 IDE
in my country the dominant drive is LG and I had good experience with it... BUT I am still not sure if its a good drive since in US ( from what I saw in the internet) LG are moving to blue ray drives.
are they a good company for drives ?
since I ll use it to backup very valuable pictures and videos
NEC was a good drive. That's about average (maybe even a tad longer) for the lifespan of a CD or DVD burner.
LG is a terrible drive. Those have chronic issues reading, ripping and burning discs. Don't buy one. Get a Pioneer or Samsung, maybe a Sony Optiarc.

Good Pioneer for $25 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002GQ2SI8

Quote:

3.the Verbatim DVD -R and DVD+R cost the same and I read the guide that says there isnt a big difference but for long storage time will it effect if its +R or -R ?
I am sure that in 5 ~10 years I ll reburn them so no data will be lost.
No, there is no realistic difference between DVD-R and DVD+R, in terms of longevity.

If you use a good disc, you won't need to re-burn every 5 years. That's almost overkill. A smarter idea would be to create multiple backups, using a good backup policy. For example, burn a copy to two different types of discs (maybe a Verbatim DVD-R, and a Verbatim DVD+R), and then keep a hard drive with more backup files.

Quote:

4. I just saw Philips, DVD-R and Philips, DVD+R are they worth buying ? since they cost less then Verbatim and its a brand name but I didnot see it in the list :
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
That's because Philips is not a DVD manufacturer. They re-brand discs from others. Philips currently uses CMC, often with their own media IDs. If you look in the second class discs, you'll see CMC with PHILIPS IDs listed.

The guide is not for brands. As explained in the guide intro, brand means nothing.

Hope that helps. :)

highlander11 08-22-2010 10:41 AM

thank you very much but I have a problem that you cant solve:
first of all I wont buy on the internet privacy stuff

the stores in my country mostly sell LG (I saw sumsung drives 2 in numbers :) one external and one in.. but its a sata one and I need IDE)

pioneer- couldnt find one{only speakers} in stores or sony but I ll dig deeper ;)

I know nec was/is a good product but from what I read about my old drive he lasted too long lol
since he had a lot of problems ( my module and newer ones - ALOT- like he couldnt read the disks he burned lol)
Therefore I ll move to another brand - I ll search for sumsung IDE drive...

just a thought about prices- in my country for brands you pay too much.. what can I do ? buy lower dvds ? no ;)

admin 08-22-2010 10:02 PM

Finding quality blank DVDs (and DVD burners) is usually not too hard to do in
  • North America (including Mexico, from what I've heard and read),
  • Europe (including countries on the eastern side),
  • Japan and most "orient" countries (excluding China),
  • Australia to some degree,
  • and even some of India (thanks to MBI)
Of course, that also encompasses pretty much all of the industrialized and economically/politically stable countries (and regions) of the world. It also includes countries that tend to fight off counterfeit products.

It's when you start to get into South America, the Middle East, Africa and Russia / Middle Asia that you start to run into issues locating quality discs (or non-fake media), as well as various electronics and computer components such as DVD burners. A lot of the premium brands seem to be missing. What you find is second-tier brands being sold for more cost than first-tier brands in the NA/Europe/etc locations. And then for prices most people can afford in those places, you'll get bottom-end no-name stuff. (Or a "no-name" that is recognized in that location, because it's a regional brand that locals are familiar with. But it's still generally not top-tier quality.)

I always feel bad for folks like yourself -- I wish it wasn't such an issue there. You're not in the most stable location on the planet, and you're surrounded by other countries that are run by savages (the general populace seems to be fine -- it's the leaders that are all nuts, as well a few of their fanatical followers). As such, various businesses seem to choose not to do business there, hence the limitations on products.

You may already know all of this, however, so I'm just preaching to the choir.

I'd say that LG is the last choice for a DVD burner, and pretty much anything else is going to be better. Pioneer, Samsung/Toshiba and Sony are the top choices, but I'll understand if those are harder to come by. I don't know all of the possible brands in your location, but even lesser-known names like Buffalo, Lacie or Acer would be better than LG.

I don't know that I'd agree with online buying have piracy issues, but my experience to online buying is largely confined to Australia, Japan, North America and Europe. There may be an issue with security or merchant reliability in your particular location.

On that Samsung SATA burner, maybe you could try to use a SATA>IDE crossover adapter. I can find one of those here for about $2 online. I've not tried it on a burner, but it works well on hard drives. (IDE>SATA does not usually work for optical, but SATA>IDE might.)

highlander11 08-23-2010 05:02 AM

well, thank you very much for your replies...

the bottom line for me is :
1.I wont buy stuff at the internet - privacy thing ( its not like in US or UK)
2. I ll try to find sumsung brand - maby I ll find one
3. If not I ll buy LG since it has 2 years warranty + my pc is 4 years so in 2 years maby I ll replace my pc and buy a newer burner.
4.About SATA to IDE- I ll read about it and see if it fits to DVD burners.

Again thank you very much.. if I ll find something new I ll reply

by the way great forums ;)
never thought there will be so much info about DVDs :)

highlander11 08-27-2010 03:07 PM

well I bought my dvd drive
an LG one gh22lp lightscribe one ( sicne that what they had)

easy setup
and it read the "faulty dvds" that nec didnt show
usedimgburn software to burn and its normal for an ide drive..I am fine...only time will tell and I have one year warranty.

About dvds verbatim ones
something intresting its made in china and tdk in india
someone I know told me t:
here isnt a difference between a 27$ verbatim dvd or 20$~25$ tdk dvds or teac one which only cost 12$ dvds since all of them are made in china and he has a lot of knowledge at electronic parts and the difference in quality...thats my two cents

he told me that teac is cheaper but the intresting thing is imagine that teac and verbatim are made at the same town and maby just mabt at the .....? ;)

well teac dvds didnot failed me like hp so I ll keep them as my main backup and keep my cd in a good place.

maby others not in europe will see this post and understand the quality differences between europe and not europe are big.

thanks again admin but sometimes the palce you are born makes the difference lol

admin 08-31-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

someone I know told me there isnt a difference between a 27$ verbatim dvd or 20$~25$ tdk dvds or teac one which only cost 12$ dvds since all of them are made in china and he has a lot of knowledge at electronic parts and the difference in quality.
That's just not accurate.

Verbatim blanks are made with entirely different materials and processes (Mitsubishi specs) than TDK discs (Ritek or CMC specs). It's more complicated, so...

Check the media ID with proper software: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...ia-id-393.html

Don't get duped by the myth of "all discs are the same".

If the IDs are not the same, the discs are not the same. Period.

Most people with "electronics knowledge" are not aware of the manufacturing and hidden business aspects (product re-branding). That's simply outside their level of expertise.

Quote:

thanks again admin but sometimes the palce you are born makes the difference lol
I view the world as one community, so I tend to be more aware of things across oceans than most folks. I tend to stay pretty connected, or at least try to be.

Check the IDs, and see what you find. :)

highlander11 08-31-2010 10:06 AM

I did as you said to one of my teac dvds and it didnot said it name - it was written -unknown lol

but the strange thing is that nero wrote it could burn the dvd at 22 but on the dvd it is wirtten x16 lol
oh well its not like I care the amount of time it takes to burn a dvd but ;) lol

admin 08-31-2010 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may want to read the window in ImgBurn, to see what information it's reporting:

Attachment 965

Sometimes, some discs don't readily show the ID, in some burners, with some softwares capable of showing the media ID (MIDs). You've probably just landed in that scenario.

All discs have to have some kind of ID.

This one here is one of my DVD+RW testing discs, a RITEK-004-48 blank. :)

highlander11 09-01-2010 02:43 AM

I tryed as you said with an empty dvd:

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R

image:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/imag...9/sdibk6-1.jpg

well I think imgburn doesnt know any teac dvd lol or hp one

but I am fine- if the dvd works ...
I ll buy verbatim in a week or two and from what I aksed at the store it will be 5$ cheaper since I think they bring it with cigarettes lol

admin 09-01-2010 04:03 AM

Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20 = Mitsubishi 16x DVD-R (usually in Verbatim brand)

Quote:

it will be 5$ cheaper since I think they bring it with cigarettes lol
That reminds me of Alaska. If it doesn't come on the boat, you don't get it. The boat was late one time when I was there, and the whole town was running out of things. For example, the only ice cream left anywhere was coffee mocha flavored (YUCK!), and that was it. Everything comes on the boat, from food to clothes to mail to blank DVDs.

highlander11 09-01-2010 07:59 AM

Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20 = Mitsubishi 16x DVD-R (usually in Verbatim brand)

so it means its a good dvd ( teac)
well we could write about it for a long time...

still the disc id is Disc ID: 0@P-!-00 lol....oh well in my country strange stuff happen :p

well I ll still be here I like these forums

admin 09-01-2010 03:12 PM

Manufacturer ID = media ID = MID

Ignore the "disc ID" (that's something else entirely different, unimportant)