Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Free Member

Hi

I am completely new on this Forum and all i can say is "WOW"

I have learnt so much in the last couple of days through this forum on CD & DVD Media. Thanks so much!

And now to my Question:

As owning an Israeli import Co. Dealing with Ink Supplies (toner & Ink Cartridges) & Flash products (DOK & Sd etc.) we are trying lately to expand on a variety of computer components etc. therfore I have been surfing the net for Chinese/Taiwanese Companies as i am looking into importing cd-r and dvd-r media.

Of course as u can imagine i started of with AliBaba GlobalSources AsianProducts etc. and came upon a variety of companies like :

http://www.fstdisc.com.tw

http://www.infomedia.com.tw

http://www.prodisc.com.tw

http://www.dst.com.tw

http://www.shinghae.com.tw

and i can go on & on . After contacting some of these companies they all claim to be manufacturers. Over the weekend i looked into it more deeply and then realized that its far more complicated then i thought.

So my question is as follows, what ID do these companies manufacture? and will they all be crap?

Thanks very much
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Free Member

hi Admin

i would really really appriciate if u could answer my above question to help me decide if and how to continue with my import plans after the help i had from this site.

Thanks very very much in advance
09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You'll have an answer tonight. Making my way through all the day's new posts right now.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: srul72 (09-27-2010)
09-28-2010, 02:53 AM

There are several types of "manufacturers".
  • Those who formulate their own media and manufacture it, too.
  • Those who formulate their own media, but supply the specs and materials for somebody else to do it on their behalf. It's a partial outsource. But the disc is still theirs.
  • Those who create discs on the behalf of others and have no media of their own. They just take specs and create discs. Sometimes with specified materials, sometimes not.
Alright, now to your list...

http://www.prodisc.com.tw
Prodisc is a excellent manufacturer, known for both their own quality media, as well as their production lines for Mitsubishi. Those would NOT be crap discs by any means. Feel safe buying these. Media IDs are PRODISC most of the time. Some older discs used MCC codes with permission of Mitsubishi. These are common in Norther America and Europe.

http://www.infomedia.com.tw/
Yes, they manufacture media. Media IDs are INFOMER## or INFOMEDIA. These are not bad discs, about on par with Ritek according to most user reports. Good for dupes, maybe not masters. You don't get many of these in North America.

I'm not really too familiar with the others. I'd want to know more about their media IDs, possibly even current brands their discs are sold under. These are probably VERY small regional Asia-only suppliers, possibly used fake media IDs on low-graded discs. If I had to guess, I would generally bet that Sheng Wang and Feng-Sheng are crap. I say this mostly because I've never seen a Chinese-named company make anything worthwhile, in terms of optical media. DST sounds familiar, but I can't quite remember why. I'd have to defer to some research, which is unfortunately not available right now (nor for a while, as it's being sorted for future site work).

And kudos for you for doing research, and having a desire to choose quality products for your customers! That is quite admirable. This horrible scenario where sellers try to provide the cheapest media possible, with best profits possible, is what has gotten us into this nasty situation where so much media is garbage. If buyers would only go after the good stuff, and both resellers/consumers were willing to pay appropriate prices for the quality, we'd have no issues!

Hope that helps.

09-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Free Member

Thanks!!!

Yes your reply was a great help.

Honestly, after reading your reply and other information via this site i decided to challenge one of the companies i contacted and i asked them what ID will show on there media and the reply was :

(i quote) " id = Tyg & Mcc code "

so thats really enough for me to decide not to work with them

i will consider Prodisc/Infomedia

finally, whats your opinion on LeadData / Cmc (i realized that your opinion is that Cmc are real crap, have i got it right?)

thanks!!!
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
i decided to challenge one of the companies i contacted and i asked them what ID will show on there media and the reply was : (i quote) " id = Tyg & Mcc code "
Oh please, please, please -- tell us who this was! These fake-media charlatans all need to be exposed for the crap-making entities they are.

Taiyo Yuden does not outsource its production to random Asian companies in China and Taiwan. Period.

Same for Mitsubishi, although there is a legitimate source for MIC (made in China) Verbatim MCC's that are being spotted in various locations in the world. At the moment, I've not researched who this is. I highly doubt whoever you contacted is this MCC-authorized producer, as MCC probably would not allow the MCC discs to be sold outside their own Verbatim brands. And bad product would likely be destroyed, not sold off as cast-off grade to low-budget economics. More on that in a minute.

Mitsubishi/Verbatim's main producing factories are/were owned by MBI, CMC, FTI and Prodisc, plus their own Singapore factory (MIS, or "made in Singapore"). Authentic MCC media is always made to MCC specs, with their stampers and materials, with MCC staff on-site to inspect product, regardless of who's factory/building is being used (MBI, CMC, Prodisc, FTI, etc).

Quote:
so thats really enough for me to decide not to work with them
Indeed!

Quote:
i will consider Prodisc/Infomedia
I would go to Prodisc first. Infomedia is probably okay if it's lower cost that Prodisc. These are not necessarily "archival grade" discs, but they are still very good. I'd rank them higher than Ritek or CMC discs, with whom they share the 2nd class grade on our DVD quality ranking charts, but not quite good enough to be in that 95-99% range. Without referring to the research, going off memory, I'd put Prodisc in the 90-95% range, meaning that 1 in 10-20 discs generally has an issue. Something like Ritek or CMC falls well into the 80%'s numbers.

Quote:
finally, whats your opinion on LeadData / Cmc (i realized that your opinion is that Cmc are real crap, have i got it right?)
You'll find my opinions of LeadData throughout this topic: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...a-vs-2407.html
It's a fairly lousy and unreliable disc that I've not seen in years now. I would be surprised if they even manufactured blanks at this point in time. There's been nothing spotted in North America or Europe for a very long time now. The last LD discs were seen under the Fry's Electronics GQ label during the 8x days.

CMC is a mediocre disc, with quality ranging in the 80%'s on our charts -- meaning out of a spindle of 100 discs, burned full to 4.38GB, at rated speed or even down to half rated speed, you tend to get about 15-20 discs with problems of some kind. Sometimes it's much better, with only a few coasters. Sometimes it's far worse, with a half spindle failing to burn well at all. It's good for duplication, because it can be acquired rather cheaply, but it's nothing I'd suggest for masters. If a duplicated copy ends up being bad, it's easy to just re-burn another one.

I would suggest it's okay to sell, for the purpose of duplication, but it really should be marked off as "not archival" in some manner, so buyers don't stupidly misuse it for something that they cannot afford to lose. For example, the only copy of a family home movie, family photos burned to discs, or computer data backups. And sadly, people lose their memories all the time because they just bought "what was cheap" in the store to keep their now-gone images that can never be replaced. Almost weekly I get pleas from adults/kids whose parents have died, and their only videos of them from the past decade were burned to Ritek or CMC media (or something even worse!) that turned out to be a bad burn. Sometimes it's special ceremonies (bar mitzvahs, weddings), a baby taking his/her first steps, etc. Sometimes I can recover some portion of these bad discs, and other times it's 100% gone forever. It's just so sad that trying to save $5 in the store cost them their precious memories.

The biggest issue with CMC is that there appear to be varying grades of the discs. Some are their "best" graded discs sold under major name brands like HP, TDK, Memorex, etc, while other lower-quality rejects are sold off as overprints or label-less media. The best CMC media falls in that 80%'s range, and the worst ones tend to be 0-50% success ranges. Those discs are treated the same as "fakes" for the moment -- it's complete crap that uses a known-good ID. The only difference is these were (usually) legitimately made. The extra rub is that some places are making CMC fakes, because unauthorized/stolen CMC stampers and IDs are reported to be used at those locations. It's complicated, and I'd have to review several dozen documents that are currently unavailable. It's one of those topics that literally gives me a headache trying to explain to laymen. It's a good representation of the over-complicated mess that business has become.

09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I would add this:
Quote:
It is almost impossible to get any informations about most of major manufacturers from China. But almost all companies in China and Hong Kong and most of smaller Taiwanese companies are producing media with faked MID code...
Quote:
Because they want and need to produce ultra cheap media. Therefore they are using a cheap materials (dye, bonding and sputtering material, polycarbonate), they have virtually no quality control, almost no R&D staff (they are many times buying a manufacturing process know-how from another companies), they are using stampers after their lifetimes, etc.). And of course, they use non-licensed MID codes and they are not paying any patent fees. Cheap media = crap media (in most cases).
These are quotes from a conversation on another site, from about 2-3 years ago. Nothing has changed since then. (Very little changes when it comes to blank optical media. And when change does happen, it tends to be slow, taking 6-12 months to fully happen.)

This echoes most of the information given here so far, including your confirmation with that other company that stated they use Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi codes -- without permission, I might add!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Free Member

Thanks once again for all the precious information.

It has been a tremedous help.

I will note u when decisions will be made.
10-06-2010, 04:01 AM

I was able to confirm that Sheng Wang Technology uses faked Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi media IDs on discs of dubious quality.
These discs should be avoided at any costs.

12-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Free Member

http://www.fstdisc.com.tw
Feng Sheng Technology produces only pressed (ROM) media.

http://www.infomedia.com.tw
A mid-size producer of DVDR and DVDRW media. The quality of their media is usally very good (their DVDR media are made with MKM's AZO dye).

http://www.dst.com.tw
A mid-size producer of cheap nasty CD-Rs and not-so-bad DVDRs (with poorly supported MIDs though). I am not 100% sure if they are still in the business.

http://www.shinghae.com.tw
A rather small producer of DVDR with faked TY & MCC MIDs.