Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Free Member

Okay, First I want to say thank you! I have learned so much in the last month or so. This site has shed plenty of light and made sense of issues with Blank Media. What I'm about to say is not a rant, just an observation.

I was with a co-worker today at an Office supply store and he was looking to get some blank media. They have a 50pk of TDK DVD+R for $10.99. He asked me (knowing I'm picky with media) if the TDK discs were any good. i told him that I saw TDK on the list of 1st class discs so he went and bought a pack. Long story short, 1st burn is a coaster! I checked the ID and I found the garbage code: CMC MAG M01. After looking closely, I noticed that the guide says TDK stop making blanks.

The guide is clear to me now that we got burned (no pun intended) luckily it was only 11 bucks. I also noticed the paragraph above the list naming the 3 brands/type to buy.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Yes, there's been some confusion by readers in the past year. We're working to make DVD brand vs DVD manufacturer more prominent on the page. Maxell, TDK, Sony, JVC and a few others are both brands and manufacturers -- but the brand doesn't always use what's made by the parent company's manufacturer.

But it's good to hear you've now realized the difference in TDK (brand) vs TDK (manufacturer).

"TDK media" is now made by Falcon Technologies (FTI), although it's not fully TDK in spec -- it uses a TDK ID (TDK stamper) on Falcon production. It's not as good as TDK media was, back when it was still manufactured by TDK, but still better than most.

We're considering expanding the DVD media list back out to a 4-tier list, because something something like Falcon is better than CMC or Ritek (currently 2nd Class media), but not what I'd rely on for "archival" quality for video/audio masters and important data backups. It's not on par with Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi media. Although in an interesting twist, FTI does make some of Mitsubishi's discs (to MCC/MKM specs, of course, so it's not FTI media). It's similar to Prodisc's situation.

I would also suggest that RITEKF1 TDK-branded DVD-R 16x media is pretty decent for non-archival use. I personally use about 100 of those a month, for duplication and transport copies. It's cheap and easy to find, often in the $15/100-pack range on sale at one of the local office stores. (I would not pay more than $20 for it, however, being that it's not archival grade, for as long as Verbatim and TY is in the $20-25/100 range.)

Thanks for the feedback!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Free Member

And again, thanks for the site, It was totally my oversight in not recognizing this.
You mention some TDK media being OK, how do we identify these?

If I can make a suggestion, it would be great to have photos of the packaging or maybe a link that can benefit you and us in pointing these out.

I know how to find the AZO Verbs and the MIT Sony's but I am ignorant when it comes to Maxell and TDK. Memorex is complete garbage but also the reason I'm here reading!
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Indeed, packaging photos will be included more, on some of the new pages, although I'd note that packaging does change from country to country (where sold, not manufactured), and it can still change from time to time as brands re-market themselves.

Thanks for the ideas (and confirmation that existing ideas are indeed worthy of implementation as scheduled).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!