Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

I have a 2 year old Memorex DVD burner (16xDL internal). Until recently I had only used it for burning CDs and data DVDs. I recently started to venture into creating videos from slides. I am using Nero 7 software.

My first venture actually worked well. I was using some Imation DVD-R 8X discs I had. I am runnint low on discs so I purchased some new media. I can't get acceptable results on any I have tried. The discs play, but pictures break up, "pixellate", and in some cases just freeze up. I'll list everything I've tried to date at the end of the post. Some of the discs rate high on your manufactures guide and some are junk - but none work well for me. Memorex tech support suggested a firmware upgrade - it didn't help at all.

I am desperately looking for a way to select some media tha will work - I'm starting to spend a lot of money on coasters.

My succeessful discs are:

Imation DVD-R 8X Mfr CMCMAGAE1

The problem discs (some worse than others) are;

Magonovox DVD-R 16X Mfr CMCMAG.AM3
TDK DVD+R 16X Mfr CMCMAG.M01
Verbatiom DVD-R Mfr MCC03RG20 (these are the worst)
Memorex DVD-R 16X Mfr RITEKF1 (you would think these would work wouldn't you?)

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

It's very unusual for Verbatim DVD-R media to not work well. That generally points to a drive issue. The problem with lasers is they have a fairly finite lifespan, and can do odd things as they age. Most of them simply die off and quit working.

In Nero 5 and Nero 6, you could view the burner firmware and model information. I'll assume Nero 7 is the same. When you open up Nero 7, go to "Recorder" (beside File, Edit, etc), and then drop down to Choose Recorder.

What is the device name/model, and what firmware does it have currently?

I have a feeling you're using a re-badged BenQ burner, but I want to verify.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanks - I was beginning to suspect the drive.

The model is simply DVD+/-DLRWL16 D2-15. mfrd May 2005

Firmware is upgraded to JWS6

08-24-2007, 11:06 PM

I've got a possible solution for you, thanks to the information you've provided, but it's complicated. I'll need a few days.

09-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

If there isn't any reasonable solution, I am thinking it may be time for a new burner. There are a lot on the market and they don't seem very expensive.

Any suggestions on drives to consider/avoid - or where I could find some advise?

09-14-2007, 09:48 PM

It might very well be the Memorex drive dying. However, the Memorex firmware on that unit is well-known to be finicky and problematic. The good news is those are re-badged drives, meaning Memorex bought LiteOn-manufactured drives and slapped their pretty sticker on it to sell it.

All that needs to be done is for the firmware to be cross-flashed to make it a true LiteOn drive. The correct firmware to do this is located at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/1693S.KS0B.patched-cf.rar

The RAR file should include all of the documentation required to patch the firmware.

Like I said, the answer was going to be a bit complicated. But the drive may very well be perfectly fine, just in need of this somewhat-easy update.

If you want an easier, yet more expensive approach, then you can still buy a new drive, yet. I would highly suggest buying a Pioneer drive and nothing else. Just Pioneer. Any Pioneer.

09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks - The firmware change solved the problem. I'm getting quality DVDs with all my media.