Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I've had issues with Verbatim 4.7 MCC 004 and 8.5 MKM 003. At first I thought it was my burner. After burning, there are noticable variatons or shades of burned dye in circular areas similiar to album tracks on a vinyl record. Although these are both considered first-class media and I've never had problems with them, their playback wasn't good especially the second layer of the 8.5's. The strange thing is I don't have these variations or playback issues with Verbatim 4.7 CMC MAG M01 which are considered second-class media. Am I losing my mind? I've read that MCC 001 are better quality than the 004. Any truth to this? Thanks for your help
I'll break this up to respond:

Quote:
Verbatim 4.7 MCC 004 and 8.5 MKM 003
MCC004 = 16x DVD+R media from Mitsubishi (mostly branded as Verbatim discs)
And this is one of the best discs. Be sure to read the Media Guides and Media Reviews.

MKM003 = current 8x DVD+R DL disc
Also one of the best discs, another excellent product of Mitsubishi/Verbatim.

Quote:
there are noticable variatons or shades of burned dye in circular areas similiar to album tracks on a vinyl record
This is normal. These are zonal burning rings.
It's discussed more in the guide How to Test the Burn Quality of CD/DVD Media
Look in the second section: Test #1 - Visual Test

Quote:
The strange thing is I don't have these variations or playback issues with Verbatim 4.7 CMC MAG M01 which are considered second-class media. Am I losing my mind?
CMCMAG01 is unreliable and/or lousy media because of how well it burns (or rather its lack of burning well), percentage of discs that end up as coasters, and high variance of good vs bad discs produced by CMC. CMC media generally fails miserably in advanced aging/longevity testing by pros and amateurs alike.

The color changes across the dye are not a factor, when it's a zonal burning ring. This is simply how the technology operates when burning faster than 6x.

Generally speaking, not all things are equal either. The exact burn speeds, for example, probably vary between the CMC and the MCC. And your specific model or burner, and its current version of firmware, also have some affect. Each of these issues can affect how much discoloration appears.

If you search the site + forum for "zonal" then you'll likely come up with a number or results, as this has been discussed quite a bit through the years.

Quote:
I've read that MCC 001 are better quality than the 004. Any truth to this?
No.
MCC001 was 2.4x DVD+R, and while it was good, 4x (MCC002) and 16x (MCC004) DVD+R are easily quite a bit better. MCC003 was closer to MCC001 in quality, and coaster count, as well as other longevity studies.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: 16mmJunkie (02-16-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Free Member

Thanks so much for your help, How do I tell MCC 004 from CMC MAG M01 before I buy them? They were both sold as Verbatim +R media. Thanks again
02-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoad1969 View Post
How do I tell MCC 004 from CMC MAG M01 before I buy them? They were both sold as Verbatim +R media. Thanks again
Look at the packaging.
This stickied post address this exact issue: Which MCC brand Verbatim DVDs when I go to a retail store?

You want to avoid Life Series and Value Series discs.
Look for the traditional DataLife Azo media.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.