digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Intact DVD-R 16x - made by Mitsubishi (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2938-intact-dvd-16x.html)

mikestvd 03-09-2011 11:02 PM

Intact DVD-R 16x - made by Mitsubishi

I have just purchased some INTACT DVD-R 16x premium A-grade white DVDs made in Taiwan. I live in Australia. The DVDs come up with the same media code MCC 03RG20 as my Verbatim Data-Life Plus +Rs. Are these disks made in the same factory and are they comparable to my normal Verbatim DVDs. No burning issues so far and I am using them as backups to my archival Verbatims.

kpmedia 03-10-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

INTACT DVD-R
Quote:

media code MCC 03RG20
Quote:

are they comparable to my normal Verbatim DVDs
Maybe. In addition to the media code, look at the disc itself, around the center hole, for various hub and stamper codes.

"The way to tell a fake from a real MCC is to study the tiny hub codes and stamper codes on the top and/or bottom of the disc. Look closely at that blank, both top and bottom, possibly tilting it around a bit in the light. You should see anywhere from one to three sets of alphanumeric codes. Markings can be on the hub, around the edge, or around the various rings that move outward. These are usually very tiny, so a magnifying glass may help if your eyesight is poor."

... From: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...vd-r-2875.html (another thread about fake MCC media)

If it's fake, it's not the same -- no.
If it carries the genuine MCC stamper and hub codes, then it is not just comparable -- it's the same disc, but with another brand mark.

Quote:

premium A-grade
Understand that this is a meaningless marketing statement -- often used by cheap companies to overstate the quality of the low-grade and/or fake goods, which may or may not be the case here. It's nothing more than words to dupe buyers, more often than not

Quote:

No burning issues so far
Burn rejection alone is only an indicator of serious issues, not a test of the issues themselves. I almost never see fake media that does not exhibit read errors in play/read tests. Or that runs high (or fails) more advanced scanning analysis -- high jitter, for example.

Quote:

I am using them as backups to my archival Verbatims
Only use fake discs for something that you could afford to lose. A backup of a backup, for example, may qualify.

Post back, and we'll go from there. :)

mikestvd 03-10-2011 06:02 PM

Intact DVD

Thank you for your excellent reply. I have been reading posts on

this site and so was suspicious when the two different brands had

the same media code.

My Verbatim DATA-LIFE PLUS DVD+R have a hub code of

PAPA260D15195611 1

My Verbatim Silver Top DVD+R have PAPA300C03154790 1

and the Intact DVDs have 0284E3224-12075X02

admin 03-10-2011 06:06 PM

Yep, that sounds like a fake.

PAPA is a CMC DVD-R line code -- that is, a MCC disc made by MCC at a CMC owned location.

A further test would be to look at the tiny stamper code, on the bottom of the disc, on the very edge of the dye layer. For example, I'm holding a Verbatim MCC004 DVD+R 16x disc right now, and it reads ZE0486-DVR-T470. Look for a similar xxxxxx-DVR-xxxx type code. This is another tell-tale sign of actual Mitsubishi stock.

This same DVD+R has the hub code: 161 522 +R E E 2226 (and it's hard to read, even with a magnifying glass)

mikestvd 03-10-2011 06:52 PM

Hi, both of my Verbatims have ZEO486-DVR-T47D as hub codes and the Intact have ZD8855-DVR-J47F4 I would love to know more about the quality of these Intact DVDs

admin 03-11-2011 01:43 AM

Pepst, where are you? :)

I can't say that I recognize any variation of 0284E3224-12075X02 as a valid MCC hub code. Maybe I missed a memo, but to date everything has been along the lines of PAPA, PAP6, MAPN, etc. Maybe Intact is using a unique hub code? The hyphenation alone is new -- I don't know that I've ever seen an MCC disc what wasn't simply run-together alphanumerics or spaced alphanumeric.

The stamper is legitimate, but is it being used legitimately? Hard to say. Stolen stampers exist.

I could be wrong, but if I had to make a wager, I'd bet on these being fake discs.

pepst 03-11-2011 02:42 PM

According to the serial number, these media are legit and were made by Prodisc (in September of 2010). ;)

admin 03-11-2011 02:49 PM

Excellent.

It didn't match anything from CMC, MBI or FTI locations, that I currently have available to compare against. It's been a while since I saw any Prodisc MCC DVD-R. (And while I could have asked Prodisc, replies have generally been slow in the past, several weeks delay.)

Sometimes it's good to be wrong. :)