Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

continued from email...
Remember to ask all tech questions in the forums, not emails. Thanks.

Quote:
I have been having problems with my dvd burner. It is an hp dvd writer 1140i but windows says it is 1140r. It does not matter what burning software I use when trying to burn a dvd-r disk it says lead in and 2% and never burns the disk. The guy at computer store says the drive is no good. I am able today to burn memorex dvd+rDL good but it will not burn memorex dvd-r. I think it may be the disks I bought. I got them at walmart 100 pack. I burned a memorex dvd-rw and worked good and that disk package says copyright 2004 so I have had it for a while. The nero info tool says the memorex disks a RitekF1. Do you know what to buy that will burn with hpdvd writer 1140i.
Memorex is not a very good brand of disc. They use any number of supplier manufacturers, many of which are known to be mediocre or low in quality. Beyond that, many "brands" of media are using the same few lousy suppliers.

This is covered in depth on our blank disc guide. Read that here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

However, RitekF1 is a pretty decent blank DVD. (Ritek / Fuji dye media)
The older DVD-RW are probably INFODISC media, which were also decent.

Remember that DVD burners don't last forever. People often worry about DVDs or CDs dying, but it's actually the players and burners that give out easily. Most disc problems are really mis-blames for drive errors.

If you smoke in the home/office, you contribute to a rapid drive death, as smoke kills the optics with a ruining tarnish. You'll have to replace drives far more often.

A firmware update may also be needed.

Thanks for writing.
If you have any more questions, ask on the forum.

Join as a Free Member (or better yet -- a Premium Member) if you've not done so already.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors