Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Free Member

I have some sort of good news and bad news for those that are after the Made in Singapore Verbatim dvd+r dual layer blanks

the good news- not sure how long they are going to carry them or however many are left in the warehouse of wherever they found them, but the Bestbuy by me (and I assume others) started carrying the Verbatim 20 pack spindles again.

These are also the way older 2.4x burn speed with the nicer media code of MKM-001-00 (which were rated to be a bit better than the present 8x MKM-003-00 versions). Also it clearly states the "made in Singapore " on the package, so you know what you are getting

the bad news
the price they want for them is insane and reflects when DL discs first started to appear in the market place. They want 40$ for a 20 pack spindle, which is crazy

However for those of you that do not have money otherwise to get the old ones offline, but have a bestbuy card handy, you can at least get some really good dual layer media, albeit at an inflated price. Though I have a few spindles of the 8x and they are ok, I bit the bullet and grabbed 80 (4 packs) of them yesterday
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

In all honesty, $2 per disc is not awful. I remember paying $2 for an average-quality VHS tape, which held less video in worse quality. Even floppy discs used to sell for $1 each, and those were not even 2MB in size. So $2 for a high-quality 8GB disc? All things considered, it could be worse.

On the other hand...

Verbatim 2.4x 50-pack $50 + free shipping
Verbatim 96577 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 50-Disc Spindle
$49.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0026CN0KW

Verbatim 2.4x 20-pack $23 + free shipping
Verbatim 95310 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 20-Disc Spindle
$22.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000GHWRIK

So for the best price, buy online.

Note that the "2.4x-6x" discs are 2.4x discs that can burn up to 6x speed in some burners (though not recommended). Virtually all 2.4x media comes from the Singapore Mitsubishi plant, whether it's bought online or offline. The India plant is responsible for the 8x DVD+R DL media. (Not to say that the Indian media is bad. It burns well, too!)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
In all honesty, $2 per disc is not awful. I remember paying $2 for an average-quality VHS tape, which held less video in worse quality. Even floppy discs used to sell for $1 each, and those were not even 2MB in size. So $2 for a high-quality 8GB disc? All things considered, it could be worse.

On the other hand...

Verbatim 2.4x 50-pack $50 + free shipping
Verbatim 96577 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 50-Disc Spindle
$49.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0026CN0KW

Verbatim 2.4x 20-pack $23 + free shipping
Verbatim 95310 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 20-Disc Spindle
$22.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000GHWRIK

So for the best price, buy online.

Note that the "2.4x-6x" discs are 2.4x discs that can burn up to 6x speed in some burners (though not recommended). Virtually all 2.4x media comes from the Singapore Mitsubishi plant, whether it's bought online or offline. The India plant is responsible for the 8x DVD+R DL media. (Not to say that the Indian media is bad. It burns well, too!)

Not totally exact. I have a few spindles (and supermediastore still sells them, though you have to check the description specs to see which ones as they have both) of 8x (package states it can go up to 10x however) made in Singapore discs. I have seen the 8x made in India discs as well (which I am pretty positive I have used before).

Bestbuy actually jackknifed the prices on the dual layer. When they normally used to sell them a few years back, it was 30$ for a spindle of 20. However knowing what I am getting makes the difference for their inflated extra 10$

Either way though considerably cheaper online, it was nice for a change to go into a regular outlet and see them back on the shelf.
05-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
it was nice for a change to go into a regular outlet and see them back on the shelf
Indeed, it is. Now all we need is a good sale, like they did in past years. I remember buying $12 50-pack back when a 100-spindle was $40 online. That was ... what? ... 2007 or so? My last trip into Best Buy was a few months back, and their blank media supply at that time was just pitiful. I think they had 3-4 brands at most, with Memorex possibly being the best of the lot. Now that is bad!

Thanks for sharing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Indeed, it is. Now all we need is a good sale, like they did in past years. I remember buying $12 50-pack back when a 100-spindle was $40 online. That was ... what? ... 2007 or so? My last trip into Best Buy was a few months back, and their blank media supply at that time was just pitiful. I think they had 3-4 brands at most, with Memorex possibly being the best of the lot. Now that is bad!

Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. To be honest I buy all of my media (taiyo or verbatim) online since stores by me do not sell anything I would consider using. I was in bestbuy to get a new hdd and that is when I took notice of the Verbatims sitting on the shelf

Yes you are correct, 90% of what I see in any store now has slowly all spawned into the world of Memorex crap