Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Free Member

For years I've used 50 packs of Sony DVD+R media with practically zero problems. I use these to back up lossless rips made from CDs. I also use them to create DVD copies of my family's home videos. Over the years, I've had fewer than 20 turn out to be coasters. Because I bought a large number of spindles at one time, I hadn't actually purchased any new DVD media in a few years.

Anyway, I finally ran out of my last 50-DVD spindle of the Sonys a few weeks back and decided to pick up a new 100 pack, being totally unaware that Sony was using a new manufacturer for its media. This evening, I cracked open the new spindle in order to make a DVD copy of an old movie I had on VHS. I popped the disc into my combo DVD/VHS recorder (model RDR-VX530). After about 10 seconds of attempting to read the disc, the recorder then attempted to format it. This is all standard operating procedure. After a few more seconds, the display on the console quickly flashed "DISC ERROR" and ejected the DVD. A message then appeared on screen stating something like, "This disc cannot be played or formatted." I then tried the same process with 10 different discs from this spindle and was met with the exact same problem. As I mentioned earlier, I've hardly ever had a problem with Sony DVD+Rs and I don't think I've ever seen this error on my DVD recorder before tonight.

Then, I decided to try to burn several albums to one of these DVDs as an archive disc using my computer's DVD burner instead of my standalone DVD/VHS combo recorder. I set everything up using Nero and ticked off "verification." Everything went off without a hitch. No errors of any kind.

Given that I never experienced a problem like the one stated above when trying to burn Sony DVD+R media on my DVD/VHS recorder, I was a little surprised. Based on what I've read in the forum, it's entirely possible that this new Ritek-made media is what is giving my standalone recorder grief, but is there anything specific I can do to verify the source of the problem? Keep in mind that I was able to burn on my computer one of the very same discs that the standalone recorder said was unplayable and unformattable. And in spite of the success in burning on my computer, I'm still reluctant to use media that absolutely refuses to work in one device. Another issue I have is that I use DVDs archival purposes, and I simply no longer trust Sony media to fit the bill.

What would you suggest?

Last edited by MOTO; 06-12-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typo
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
For years I've used 50 packs of Sony DVD+R media with practically zero problems. I use these to back up lossless rips made from CDs. I also use them to create DVD copies of my family's home videos. Over the years, I've had fewer than 20 turn out to be coasters. Because I bought a large number of spindles at one time, I hadn't actually purchased any new DVD media in a few years.
Those were most likely Taiyo Yuden or Daxon/Taiwan media. Very good discs!

Quote:
Anyway, I finally ran out of my last 50-DVD spindle of the Sonys a few weeks back
I still dread the day when I run out of my own special stash of various archival grade discs: PVC, TY, MKM, etc.

Quote:
This evening, I cracked open the new spindle in order to make a DVD copy of an old movie I had on VHS. I popped the disc into my combo DVD/VHS recorder (model RDR-VX530). After about 10 seconds of attempting to read the disc, the recorder then attempted to format it. This is all standard operating procedure. After a few more seconds, the display on the console quickly flashed "DISC ERROR" and ejected the DVD. A message then appeared on screen stating something like, "This disc cannot be played or formatted." I then tried the same process with 10 different discs from this spindle and was met with the exact same problem. As I mentioned earlier, I've hardly ever had a problem with Sony DVD+Rs and I don't think I've ever seen this error on my DVD recorder before tonight.
Quote:
Given that I never experienced a problem like the one stated above when trying to burn Sony DVD+R media on my DVD/VHS recorder, I was a little surprised. Based on what I've read in the forum, it's entirely possible that this new Ritek-made media is what is giving my standalone recorder grief, but is there anything specific I can do to verify the source of the problem? Keep in mind that I was able to burn on my computer one of the very same discs that the standalone recorder said was unplayable and unformattable. And in spite of the success in burning on my computer, I'm still reluctant to use media that absolutely refuses to work in one device. Another issue I have is that I use DVDs archival purposes, and I simply no longer trust Sony media to fit the bill.
The DVD burner in your DVD recorder pre-dates the RitekF (Ritek-made, Fuji materials) discs. The drive therefore defaults to a "default write strategy" which reflects the average discs of that era. Lacking the specific media ID in its internal database, and lacking a compatible default write strategy, the disc fails to burn properly or at all. This is one of those rarer cases where you can feed a known-good drive a known-good disc, and get crappy results. It's simply a dissonance due to age. Your old media, by contrast, were from that period, and had adequate write strategies.

You'll need to simply use a disc known to work well on generic write strategies: Verbatim 16x DVD-R (or DVD+R)

I wanted to mention that Sony DVD recorders were not very good image quality, having very grainy MPEG encoding and zero input filters to clean up video quality. And even the hardware (DVD burner) was not anything special. But it should still function fine once fed a good Verbatim DVD to write on.

Quote:
Then, I decided to try to burn several albums to one of these DVDs as an archive disc using my computer's DVD burner instead of my standalone DVD/VHS combo recorder. I set everything up using Nero and ticked off "verification." Everything went off without a hitch. No errors of any kind.
This further proves the write strategy issue. The burner in your computer is likely newer, maybe simply better. Therefore you can burn discs without issues. (On a side note, you may want to dump Nero for ImgBurn. Nero is fine for burning data files, but lousy at DVD-Video. Use the freeware ImgBurn for DVD-Video burning.)

Relatively easy fix for you.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Free Member

First all of all, thank you for the detailed response. While I was awaiting your reply, I spent some time reading through the forum and happened upon the recommended DVD-media listing. After reading a number of very positive endorsements for its quality, I attempted to track to down those excellent Verbatim discs. Unfortunately, no one in my area had them in stock. At the time, I was in kind of an odd situation where I needed to back up a number of items within a day, and I simply couldn't wait for Amazon (or whomever) to ship the discs to me. Instead, I went around to the various crappy electronics megastores in my area and did find a 25-pack of those Verbatim Lifescribe Color DVD+Rs which I only bought because they were the only media in any of the stores with the AZO nomenclature on them. Fortunately, these worked perfectly, and I was able to burn what I needed to burn in the limited amount of time. The next day, I placed an order for the archival quality Verbatims and will be using those from now on.

I've been using Nero for years, and honestly, have only stuck with it because it was the only burning software I was familiar with. I've been burning DVDs for the part few years, and while using Nero v.6, I used to get endless burning errors during verification. Those problems were solved by switching to v.7. However, if there are actual qualitative advantages in using ImgBurn (and your post certainly suggested that), I'd be thrilled to be done with Nero entirely. Is there a guide you'd recommend for properly configuring ImgBurn?

Last edited by MOTO; 06-30-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: edited one question
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Nero 6 was good for data burning, and Nero 7+ start to bloat the software horribly. None of the Nero versions have ever fully 100% complied to the DVD-Video specs, to my knowledge, making it a danger to use for any serious DVD-Video creation work. The discs may not play, or could suffer premature damage from lack of proper file gapping. That's why ImgBurn has such a popular following -- it works correctly and it's free. Double benefit.

I've honestly never thought a guide for ImgBurn was needed because everything is within 1 click. Literally, 1 click. Nothing is hidden or buried in sub menus or sub-sub menus like Nero and others. But since you've probably the 10th person to ask this month alone, I may add it as a new guide. It won't take me long. After all, it's easy to use. I'll post back here when done. (Few days at most.)

Where did you end up placing the online order for blank DVDs? Amazon?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This new post covers burning ISO images files with ImgBurn: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-...ts-folder.html
A mini-guide created for a filmmaker client.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Free Member

Hello from the year 2019. I have another solution if people own a SONY deck to copy VHS to DVD. I own the

I had the same error. Put in a blank DVD and then the Sony would wait a few seconds then format error

The source is that my blank DVD is too new. It's from 2019. So I found a few older DVD-RW discs that are in perfect shape. I wiped them with my mac using toast slow erase, and then I used toast to burn a video DVD from a very short MP4 file from my phone. THen I took that and played that in the sony. Worked. Then I used the Sony Remote control to format the DVD-RW with the Sony. THat worked .

So now I can pop in a VHS casette and press the <<<< button on the middle of the Sony and the VHS is burned to the DVD. I then pan to use a linux box to RIP the DVD to a MP4 file.

I used a few different DVD-RW discs from different vendors. They all work. I've only got 5, so I'm going to need to treat them well or buy some of the older blank DVDR or DVDR+ discs on ebay. Thanks to the hosts of this forum. Signed, J