Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Free Member

Along these lines so since we are stuck with Blu-ray, Admin, Lordsmurf or others, what are the better Blu-ray players and blu-ray burners(lower priced)?
I have read a lot but have no idea, it seems that the Panasonics make the better players and Pioneer makes the best burner.
So I am thinking maybe the Panasonic DMP-BD75 or DMP-BDT210.
Then the Pioneer new model is 206 but there seems to be 2 or 3 (sub-models) with that model name.

On all new model Blu-ray players for 2011, the component inputs have been done away with...further anticopy protection probably the doing of Sony and Hollywood.
But the new models supposedly have faster startup time over last year models.
I guess I can live without the component inputs but still don't like idea and I don't like to be limited.

Any comments or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

NOTE: I've moved this post into its own new thread topic. (Post previously located at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...hd-dvd-rw.html)

You're pretty much on task with those selections.

Blu-ray burners:

For the the best BD-R burner, look at the BD-R computer drives made by Pioneer.
  • Specifically, in 2011, look at those Pioneer 206 burners, like the Pioneer BDR-206. (And Amazon.com tends to have the best prices, about $110 or so.)
  • Generally speaking, any Pioneer BD-R burner is your best choice. That was true of DVD, too.
Pioneer drives are reported to work well with LTH BD-R media, too, which is a nice bonus. Get yourself some low-cost Verbatim LTH BD-R from Amazon, and you're all set to burn BD-R.

Variations in model letters are often due to one of these reasons:
  1. SATA vs IDE
  2. Retail packaging vs "bulk" or "OEM packaging (or rather lack thereof, often shipped as a "bare drive" in basic wrapping). The retail packages are sold in stores, on shelves, while OEM drives were manufactured and packaged for bulk users (like computer makers, aka OEMs).
  3. Errors in descriptions. For example, the JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder is actually the DR-M10U. Strictly speaking, there is not a "DR-M10" model. Same for the JVC HR-S9800U S-VHS VCR, and others like it.
  4. Country coding. The "U" in a JVC player/recorder often meant it was created for the North American market (USA), while "EK" signified Europe.
I've started to create HD content myself, and may start to look at Blu-ray production. Right now, everything is being used in a streaming capacity. But some disc-based expansion may be in my near future for 2011.

Blu-ray players:

At this point in time, I firmly believe all Blu-ray players are the same. Sure, fans of units will naysay and disagree. Reviewers would do the same, as my comment would make their reviews look pointless. But in all honesty, most standalone Blu-ray players act the same. Unlike DVD players, where readers tend to vary wildly, we're still in a fairly early era of Blu-ray, where most all players are being made by name brand companies. In fact, due to the low saturation of Blu-ray in general, it may always be that way -- just like it was with Laserdisc.

Buy the player you want based on its features -- i.e., streaming playback (Netflix, MLB, etc), MKV on USB, etc.

I don't see problems with either of these:
.... note that the BDT210 is the "old model", as the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 is out. ($200 from Amazon)
Not that being the previous model is a bad thing. I don't equate old to bad, or new to good. Age is separate from quality, when discussing many products.

In fact, I may get myself that BD75 model. For $89, full BD-R playback support, and the MKV on USB function, I'm tempted.

If you have more questions, just ask.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Free Member

Went ahead and ordered the Panasonic 310 and Pioneer 206 through your links.
One thing about Panasonic and JVC manuals....I downloaded the manuals on the Panasonic bluray models to check everything out and found out the manuals look similar in writeup as JVC stuff.
It must be a requirement of JVC and Panasonic that the author of these manual needs to be drunk while writing them up.
Besides putting all pertaining info on the same page and same sections, they pepper the info all over the manuals
and it makes it more challenging to find what one is looking for.
My problem is I was sober while reading it, perhaps next time I need to get loaded so it will make better sense.
That is one thing I have never understood about instructions and manuals....why not be straightfoward?

Anyway, I don't think I will have any problems hooking up the Panasonic bluray player or using the settings.

Hopefully I will be able to burner going without too much difficulty.
I can do the physical part of installing it, do I need to be aware
of any settings in the bios pertaining to the burner?
06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
Went ahead and ordered the Panasonic 310 and Pioneer 206 through your links.
Much appreciated.

Quote:
My problem is I was sober while reading it, perhaps next time I need to get loaded so it will make better sense.
Tech work while tipsy was covered earlier this month!

Quote:
do I need to be aware of any settings in the bios pertaining to the burner?
I don't believe so, no. It should be plug-and-play.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.