digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Need a Second Opinion on Sony DVD+R's (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/3217-second-opinion-sony.html)

DarkSniper 06-22-2011 10:19 AM

Need a Second Opinion on Sony DVD+R's

I've recently acquired a spindle of 25 Sony "AccuCORE" DVD+R's [family member got them for me, since I let them use some of my other DVDs] and I'm intending to use most of them for a full system backup. I've done some research on them, and I'm wondering if they're more likely to be the good Daxon/Thailand discs, or the "OK" Lead Data/Thailand discs. While the 2nd class Lead Data ones would be adequate for my purposes, It'd be cool if they were the 1st class Daxon ones.

Thanks in advance.

Also, slightly off-topic, but it's to my understanding that you can label a disk with a sharpie, as long as it's on the clear center ring, is this true, or is it still harmful to the disk regardless?

What I know about the discs:
Disc ID: SONY/D21 [SONY-D21-00]
Country of Origin: Taiwan
Numbering Around Center Of Discs: DRP5GG0001 5L
UPC Code: 027242646476
P/N: 25DPR47RS4
Copyright Date On Packaging: 2008 [This leads me to think that they may be the 'good' Daxon discs, since they stopped making them in 2010.]
They have a barcode opposite of the numbering in the center

Output from mediainfo:
Code:

[dark@Night ~]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY:                [Optiarc ][BD ROM BC-5500H ][1.B0]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:        1Bh, DVD+R
 Media ID:              SONY/D21
 Current Write Speed:  8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        6.0x1385=8310KB/s
 Write Speed #2:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #3:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:    3.3x1385=4571KB/s@0 -> 8.0x1385=11080KB/s@2295104
 Speed Descriptor#0:    03/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2295104 R@6.0x1385=8310KB/s W@6.0x1385=8310KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#2:    00/2295104 R@4.0x1385=5540KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#3:    03/2295104 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:      00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2295104*2KB=4700372992
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:          blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:          blank
 Track Start Address:  0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:          2295104*2KB
 Track Size:            2295104*2KB
 ROM Compatibility LBA: 265696
READ CAPACITY:          0*2048=0

DarkSniper 06-22-2011 03:15 PM

Got an answer on another forum I posted on.
Turns out they were the Lead Data ones [no surprise there.] Although, they've burned well for me so far, and seem more reliable than the CMC discs I have.

admin 06-22-2011 03:21 PM

I don't know what forum that was, but that's simply not correct.

Most 8x and all 16x DVD-R and DVD+R were manufactured by Daxon, as sold in Sony retail packaging.
AccuCORE was all Daxon production.
The non-Daxon 8x media was made by Taiyo Yuden (the made in Japan media).

LeadData has not been involved with Sony DVD blank production in many years (mostly the 2x-4x generation, possibly some early 8x generation blanks). And even then, there is more to that story: The LD media using Sony media IDs was never sold under Sony retail brands. How and why Lead Data acquired the permission to use the Sony ID has never really been figured out. You only found Sony ID codes, on Lead Data media, on their own brands (all no-name off brands), as well as generic "house brands" like Great Quality (the Fry's Electronics house brand of blank CDs and DVDs).

The disc code "DRP5GG0001 5L" further points to Daxon production lines.

Again, a Sony retail package (in North America) is Daxon -- never Lead Data.

I'm curious what forum that came from -- there are many clueless people on various tech related forums online, doling out misinformation and perpetuating myths. Be very careful where you get your information.

There were a few other manufacturers reported to be creating Sony media in past years (like Moser Baer), but that was largely confined to media found in Europe, Asia and Australia. Outside of something like eBay, it was never made available for sale in North America that we ever saw. No idea if it was using actual Sony codes, or simply Sony branded media with native manufacturer codes.

All current Sony branded media, since about mid 2010 (after the Daxon stock started to give out), Sony has been branding Ritek's Fuji-dye media (RitekF1, RitekF16). Just note that you can still find Sony's older "made in Malaysia" Daxon media new in stores -- I saw piles of them in a local drug store last week. I'd add that Sony/Daxon MIM media is pretty lousy, and not at all worth the insane price the drug store wanted.

I'd still suggest Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, for important video/data archiving needs. See the blank DVD review for more information.

pepst 06-23-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 16282)
I don't know what forum that was, but that's simply not correct.

http://club.myce.com/f33/these-sony-...ply-ok-322203/ :D

Quote:

Most 8x and all 16x DVD-R and DVD+R were manufactured by Daxon, as sold in Sony retail packaging.
AccuCORE was all Daxon production.
The non-Daxon 8x media was made by Taiyo Yuden (the made in Japan media).
Some AccuCOREs has been made also by Sony DADC Salzburg (Austria), Lead Data or MBIL.

Quote:

LeadData has not been involved with Sony DVD blank production in many years (mostly the 2x-4x generation, possibly some early 8x generation blanks).
That's not true. ;)

Quote:

And even then, there is more to that story: The LD media using Sony media IDs was never sold under Sony retail brands.
I have personally seen and used tens of LD made Sony AccuCORE DVDRs or CD-Rs. I do not know if they were ever available in the USA, but they were not so uncommon in the eastern and central Europe.

Quote:

The disc code "DRP5GG0001 5L" further points to Daxon production lines.
The same stamper code was (and still is) used by all of Sony's OEM partners.

admin 06-23-2011 03:07 PM

That doesn't really match any of the information I have, going back quite a few years. Amusingly, Myce/CDfreaks posts from 2008-2009, and written by several respect members there, concur with my previous post in this thread. So not quite sure what to tell you on that one.

At any rate, we could probably agree it doesn't really matter. :)

And here's why.... If the disc burns well, and tests verify the quality of the burn, then there's really nothing further to worry about. The differences in Lead Data and Daxon/Taiwan is mostly that of quality control. When the disc burns well -- it's fine. The issue with LD is you'll get a lot of coasters on a spindle, not much different from Daxon/Malaysia. There's no such thing as "disappearing data" or that "it'll be gone in 6 months" bogeyman urban legend about DVD quality. Outside of lousy blanks, Lead Data was really not a bad disc. Maybe not great, but surely not awful.

Much longer term -- decades -- then yes, it's probably best to use something else. Lead Data fairs poorly in archival aging. If there's any doubts between it being Daxon or Lead Data, then just use it for non-archival purposes. That's the safe advice. Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi media are easy to get, relatively inexpensive, and entirely worth it.

DarkSniper 06-23-2011 06:32 PM

Yeah, as long as they'll last at least 6 months, they'll be fine for my purposes. By then, my system will have changed so much, that this backup won't be worth anything. They're mostly insurance, since my primary backup drive at the moment is recycled from my old laptop, and I don't completely trust a laptop drive with a few years of constant wear with a full system backup. Either way, I've burned about half the spindle so far, and all of them have checksummed out, they should be fine until I can get a decent external drive to store my backups.

With the Verbatims and the Taiyo Yudens, which of the two would you personally recommend? With the Yudens, is there a difference between the normal ones and the "Value" ones?

pepst 06-24-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 16322)
That doesn't really match any of the information I have, going back quite a few years. Amusingly, Myce/CDfreaks posts from 2008-2009, and written by several respect members there, concur with my previous post in this thread. So not quite sure what to tell you on that one.

I apologise if you found my post offensive. ;)

admin 06-24-2011 01:47 PM

Offensive? Never. Your posts are quite welcome and quite valuable.

It's just that on this specific topic, my research and information does not match yours. And I can cross-validate it with others that have publicly made similar statements. So I don't know what to say about that. (Because I don't like inconsistency, I'll be further looking into your claims, to see if there's need to update or correct my own information. Being wrong isn't a bad thing, regardless of who it might apply to, as long as it leads to truth/fact.)

I completely forgot the Sony "made in Austria" discs, so glad that was posted. :)