Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Free Member

I just got some white inkjet printable Taiyo Yuden dvd-rs, and the recording surface on some of them (I haven't checked all of them) has what looks at first like dust or something around the outer edge, but it's not dust. I can't tell what it is. I've seen this in the past on their value line discs, but these aren't the value line discs (at least they aren't supposed to be).
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Free Member

I mean it's actually the outer part of the disc-not just the outer edge. In some places it extends about 1/2 an inch in from the outer edge.
07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I saw these posts minutes after they were made ... but I didn't have an answer right away. And I still don't.
That sounds really strange.

Does it come off?

I've seen scuff marks on discs -- especially tape-wrapped media -- that are tiny in size. That could appear as if it were dust, to the untrained eye. It can be wiped or even washed off. It's damaged to the lower polycarbonate material, making the discs coasters. You'd never want to use a scuffed disc, as the laser cannot properly burned data to it. (Well, you could use the disc for small burns, maybe 1-2GB in size, to entirely avoid the edges.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Free Member

They were tape wrapped. I haven't been able to wipe it off. I didn't try washing it off. I burned two discs without any problems. One was 4.12 GB, the other 4.30 GB. Someone mentioned here:

http://club.myce.com/f33/odd-looking...urface-322745/

That it was probably bubbles in a bonding glue between the disc halves, and not to worry if I don't burn anything really important on them or use them in a very humid environment--but if they might not last as long as Taiyo Yuden discs that don't have that problem I'd rather not use them at all.
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I see that pepst replied to that, but I don't know that bubbles in the bonding would really describe your problem, and I think scuff marks are far more likely given the off-and-on lousy handling of tape-wrapped TY media. I'd like to see a clear and in-focus photo, if that's possible.

If it was air bubbles in the disc, I may be concerned for longevity. Not that it will fall apart in 6 months, or some silly myth along those lines, but that it could begin to fall apart in 10-20 years. A good DVD should last far longer. More likely, the disc was simply burn bad from the get-go.

Again, photos may help clear this up definitively.

And since it wasn't said earlier ... welcome to the site.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Thanks! I'll see if I can take a photo.