Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Free Member

I'm burning copies of some video albums for others. I'm having problems with Taiyo Yuden media.

I've been using up some Memorex DVD-r, (Media ID: RITEKF1 made by Ritek and rated second class quality*) and all burned OK to use up my supply. They did verify and I played one about half way in my Bose 3-2-1 unit OK.
Then I used some of my Taiyo Yuden (Media ID TYG02 rated first class quality*). With the first one I heard strange noises when the burning started; however it did verify. Then I burned a second copy and it burned OK too.
But I was suspicious so I played the first Taiyo Yuden DVD in my Bose 3-2-1 unit. The disc froze about 10 seconds into it. The only thing I could do was turn off the Bose then eject the DVD. I tried again and again the same. Something is wrong.
I played the second Taiyo Yuden DVD. It started OK; then part way through the second scene, the player burped and jumped ahead to the third scene. From the start of the third scene I could backup and see parts of the second scene originally skipped.
So I burned the same .CDR file to one of my Memorex DVDs and played it. I'm halfway thru (too late to finish last evening) and it is playing OK.
Now I'm puzzled. I burned the same .CDR to another Taiyo Yuden DVD at 4X and played it. Similar problems, portions are skipped and sometimes the play is hesitant.
I tried playing the same video burned last spring to a TY disk, same batch) and it plays OK. When I started using this batch back in May, I had problems with DVDs not verifying. I checked on the Apple Support Forums and others were having similar problems under OSX 10.5 burning DVDs. Problems seemed to go away with subsequent updates.

I'm using a MacBook Pro running Leoplard (OSX 10.5.6) with a super drive (slot loading CD & DVD burner).

Could this be a bad batch of media? any other ideas?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

There are several possible answers, so I'll start with the most logical one:
  • What "brand" of disc is using the TYG02 (Taiyo Yuden) media ID? If the disc does not have any disc brandings markings, the describe what the discs look like (shiny silver, inkjet white, etc).
  • What, if any, text etchings can be seen in the center hub of the disc? These may be etches into clear plastic, or written small in metallic text near the reflective foil layer.
  • Where were these discs purchased?
My idea is that these may be fake media, but the answers to the above questions will either confirm or deny that hypothesis.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Free Member

I purchased these from supermediastore.com on 04/02/2008. They are per the order confirmation and packing slip:
Taiyo Yuden Silver Inkjet Printable 8X DVD-R Media
100 Pack in Cake Box
there are no brand markings on them.
Impressed marking in the ring next to the center hole is: FN740C8008nnGG where nn represents a sequential number.
In the brown ring just inside the silver are "GG00284" and in very small letters printed vertically "04LL"

Using Disk Identifier running in XP in Parallels is following information:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
As I recall, I did call supermediastore concerning my problems back then. they offered to replace them but as I thought the problem was with my Mac & Leopard I did not.

Thanks for your assistance.
12-31-2008, 01:50 AM

It's not the media. Linkyo (SuperMediaStore.com) only sells legitimate non-fake Taiyo yuden discs. They go a step beyond, in fact, and try to educate consumers on the difference between legit discs and fakes. All of the markings and other info shows these to be official Taiyo Yuden media. So that's out...

Next comes the drive itself not liking the disc. This is the primary reason TY media is lesser quality than Verbatim media -- a number of drives (be it burners or readers, in computers or DVD-Video set-top players/recorders) will simply barf on a TY disc.

Which drive, you ask? I don't know.

Like many other "expensive big name brand" DVD players, Bose is not likely to inspire confidence that any disc will necessarily play well. The traditionally "reliable" electronics companies like Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and others put out some real stink-o quality players for many years there. The machines would often barf on discs for any number of reasons, and were often the machine with the most limitations (region-locked, no PAL, no CD, no MP3, no burned discs, etc). So the player being used for the test could be the real culprit. Taiyo Yuden discs are not always the best when it comes to reflective quality.

Failing that, we'd be looking at the burner. Do you know what model SuperDrive this is, the model/name of the actual manufacturer (Pioneer, most likely), and then the firmware being used? My MacBook is not in front of me, and won't be for at least a week or more, and I can't remember offhand how to find out the drive information. I also don't remember if ImgBurn works well enough in Parallels to give out accurate drive data (worth a try, however).

Of course, none of this really matters. I would be surprised if the discs were bad. But given the situation with the equipment -- unless you want to replace both a burner and a player -- would be to switch to something else that is BOTH reliable and works well.

RITEK is not it. Regardless of the experience with the limited stack of "okay" Memorex burns, I would not tempt fate again. Those discs are not "archival" in any sense. They are good for duplicates, but that's about it. You can replace a duplicate (make another copy!), but you can't always re-create a master or archive disc.

I suggest you move on to VERBATIM DVD+R or DVD-R media. This disc is our top suggestion anyway.

At the moment, Amazon.com has the best prices on this exact disc. Some links are at http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I personally suggest these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMS

I often avoid Taiyo Yuden myself, as two of my burners, and one of my players, absolutely despise those discs. The discs are great, but TY issues are common enough that Verbatim makes for a better choice. You seem to be one of them, too.

12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Free Member

OK, thanks a lot for all the information. I'm going to look locally to see if I can buy a few Verbatim or Sony disks. If not, then I'll order online.

Here's the info of my superdrive:
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:
Firmware Revision: AP09
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
I posted a general message on the forum to whose members I sent DVDs and so far only one reported problems -- with 2 of 3 DVDs.

So thank you loads for your assistance.
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM

Oh yuck, that's an LG drive. Many models of modern LG drives tend to be somewhat notorious for awful burning results, especially the "OEM" ones that come with computers, such as Apple, Dell, HP and others.

The LG drive in this very laptop I'm typing on (an HP) is worthless. A Samsung or Pioneer external USB2 drive is used for burning on this system. Not long ago I fixed a Dell system simply by trashing the LG drive that it came with, and putting a Samsung (Sony branded) drive in its place. It works perfectly now, burning discs nicely, and it no longer crashes the computer when it using burning software (ImgBurn).

In both recent personal experiences, the LG drives in question refused to work reliably with any media, be it MCC (Verbatim), Sony, Taiyo Yuden -- or even mediocre cheapo discs like Ritek or CMC. The drives always burned the discs, regardless of manufacture, but probably 25-50% of all discs coming from the unit had errors that made it a coaster. Most reports are similar to my own experiences with the drives.

If you seach Google for the "GSA-S10N" you'll see a lot of complaints, especially from Mac users. So you're not alone. The drive is the weak link. It should be replaced or circumvented.

Pioneer and Samsung are the best drives you can get these days (2008, going into 2009).

Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but it's the most likely culprit, given the information.

Tags
burning, mac, osx