Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Free Member

I don't know much about the technical sides of DVD's. My question is -- Aside from the obvious that you can add data or write over data on R/W discs and not on R discs, is there a technical reason to choose one over the other for making Photo Slide Shows (Roxio). I'm doing a Civil War project which will ultimately present around 3000 photos and I want to get off on the right foot. Thanks, Roywells
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Do you plan to keep this project for more than a few weeks? If not, then use a DVD-RW and erase it when finished.

NOTE: DVD+RW consistently prove themselves as an unreliable format (in terms of longevity) in our tests, so DVD-RW is always suggested. If the machine ONLY works with DVD+R or DVD+RW, then buy DVD+R and throw them away when finished.

DVD-RW and DVD+RW do not use dyes, these use a malleable "phase change material" that can be altered. It's not meant for permanent storage, not at all.

If you want to keep these photos, keep this project, then by all means, use a permanent dye-based media, such as DVD-R or DVD+R. If this is going to be an archive, then burn the project several times, to several different known-quality discs. And I mean different as in "different brands". For example:
  • Taiyo Yuden DVD-R
  • Taiyo Yuden DVD-R
  • Verbatim DVD-R
  • Verbatim DVD+R
  • Sony DVD+R
If this needs to be "safely stored" then don't just burn it once. Go one further by burning the discs several times over and storing several copies in several locations (not one disc per site, but minimum 2-3 discs per site), such as an office or home of a parent/relative.

Rewritable discs are also more expensive, and it's not economically smart if these are being duplicated and distributed to the audience. For distribution, you can get Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media for a good price, and it's worth using these discs. Bad discs to your audience members does not yield positive results.

A list of the best discs, and where to buy them, is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Hopefully that answered your question -- and then some.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Free Member

Thank you -- That is just the information that I was looking for