Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Free Member

I am having a problem with burning a dvd of family videos/photos. I made the project using windows movie maker and then had a successful burn using windows dvd maker. I had one remaining blank dvd-r disk that was an Office Depot brand that I used successfully on the first burn. Everything worked great.

I want to make more copies for family members so I purchased some new blank discs. First I bought these memorex discs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817501014

When I went to burn another copy I got an error and the disc did not burn. Here is the error from the windows event viewer.

The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (2130932483) when burning the disc.

I did some reading online and found out that maybe I had bought crappy discs. So I went to Office Depot and bought some Verbatim discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Digit...verbatim+96856

I still get the same error when I try to burn another copy in windows dvd maker. I have made these family movies the past few years using the Office Depot discs with no problems.

My drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q120A ATA Device. I looked to see if there was a firmware upgrade that might help, but I could not find one as I think this drive is too old.

Should I try a different line of Verbatim discs? Is my drive too old to use these newer discs?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Free Member

use a different software - windows movie maker /dvd maker is crap

i use DVDfab - you can download a free 30 day trial.

make sure you only use Mitsubishi-Verbatim blanks
not all Verbatim is good

that Sony drive is very old, but should still work.
if not brand new SATA DVD burner is only like $20-$25 on Newegg.
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: mildmanneredman (12-30-2012)
12-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Free Member

The discs are the main thing. Here are the good ones - http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataL...dp/B0001LRIT4/
Even if you don't need 50 right now, keep 'em on hand. These are the best, I've never had a single failed disc with them.
Also saving your project to an image file if possible and then burning the image file with ImgBurn instead of burning with DVDMaker would be better in my opinion.
The following users thank singemfrc for this useful post: mildmanneredman (12-30-2012)
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply's. I am going to try a new burner drive first since I have been wanting to upgrade from my IDE drive.

How do I save my project as an image file? Do I need to save the files as .wmv's in windows movie maker, then save them as .iso's in dvdmaker, then burn them in imgburn?
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Free Member

I don't have DVDMaker myself, but there is probably an option where instead of choosing your optical drive as destination you can choose "burn to image" or something similar which will create an .iso or similar file type on your hard drive. Once you have that you can use IMGBurn to burn the image to disc.
There is also a program out there that I like a lot called DVDFab that does absolutely everything..you can pretty much turn anything into anything else (including blu ray and blu ray 3d) it's pretty expensive, but it's worth it. It will easily take your .wmv and turn it into a DVD or Blu Ray disc in one step - it will even use IMGBurn for the actual disc burning if you want it to.
The following users thank singemfrc for this useful post: mildmanneredman (01-02-2013)
01-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

-Your drive is not too old.
-Office Depot branded media can be anything at almost any time.
-The Verbatim now sold in stores is CMC Media. The only good Verbatim is made by MCC Media, which is only sold online, or in some special stores like Microcenter if you are lucky enough to live by one.
-Windows does not come with a good authoring software unfortunately.

If you are satisfied what what Windows offers, I would recommend better discs. Otherwise ConvertXtoDVD is a good software that I would recommend if you are looking for something better.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and me or one of the other forum regulars will be more than happy to help you!

Thanks,
-JMP
The following users thank JMP for this useful post: mildmanneredman (01-02-2013)
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Free Member

I'm going to try these discs that singemfrc recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataL...dp/B0001LRIT4/

Are these made by MCC media?

ConvertXtoDVD looks great but a bit expensive since I only do one video a year. I think I might try DVDFab DVD Creator that volksjager recommended. They have a 20% off deal thru January 6th on their website and their 30 day trial doesn't appear to have a watermark stamp.
01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Free Member

Yes those are MCC (Mitsubishi) the exact Media ID for them is MCC003
The following users thank singemfrc for this useful post: mildmanneredman (01-02-2013)
01-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Here is a link to some Verbatim blanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003ZDNZT2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMS

Even if you don't need 100 blanks, they will last you a long time and I would suggest getting them while you can.
The following users thank JMP for this useful post: mildmanneredman (01-11-2013)
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the help everyone! I got the discs that singemfrc recommended. Put the first one in and burned my movie with no problems!
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Free Member

Youre welcome. As a bonus, I've discovered that the printable material on those discs is far superior as well. The colors appear much more clear and vibrant when I print on those discs than on cheaper printable discs I've used in the past.