Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Free Member

I just got a Blu Ray DVD player, and I was wondering..do I need to buy blank Blu Ray DVDs to get the Blu Ray quality on them? Say for example, I download a torrent file that's a blu ray rip, do I have to put that onto a blank Blu Ray DVD, or can I put it on a regular DVD-R and still get the same Blu Ray quality?

That's probably a dumb question, but I've never had a Blu Ray player before, so I was wondering
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This is a pet peeve of mine.

There is no such thing as a "Blu-ray DVD". It's liking saying you drive a "car truck". That would be stupid, yes?
- It's a Blu-ray disc. The recordable version is a BD-R and BD-RE.
- Or a DVD (DVD-Video, actually!). And DVD-R(A), DVD-R(G), DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM.

You'll just confuse yourself by using the wrong terms.

The DVD-Video specs only have SD resolutions, max 720x480 (720x576 PAL).
Blu-ray supports a few SD resolutions, and many HD resolutions. And then you have to consider MPEG2 vs H.264, too.

A "Blu-ray rip" that is downloaded can mean anything. So I leave that to you to figure out. (Plus this site really does not endorse downloading things that are readily available to buy at places like Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc. It's not a format full of rarities and OOP/HTF material like DVD and VHS was.)

Yes, it was a semi-dumb question. But I answer those too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Free Member

There is a hybrid type of disk that might interest the OP. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 can produce a structure on DVD media that will play in HD on many Blu-ray players. It still is limited to the data capacity of the DVD media and play time is limited accordingly. They call it "AVCHD for DVD." It is neither a DVD-video disk, nor a Blu-ray video disk, but it does provide a way to deliver limited duration HD video from DVD media.

As I type this I am watching one now, recorded on JVC DVD-R media ysing a LG BD burner, played on a Sony Blu-ray player. The disk has a 6-item menu, takes up about 1/3 of 4.7 GB DVD-R, runs a bit over 10 minutes, and has a data rate of about 15 Mbps.

As to the car truck, the Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino tried.
02-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I just got a Blu Ray DVD player, and I was wondering..do I need to buy blank Blu Ray DVDs to get the Blu Ray quality on them? Say for example, I download a torrent file that's a blu ray rip, do I have to put that onto a blank Blu Ray DVD, or can I put it on a regular DVD-R and still get the same Blu Ray quality?

That's probably a dumb question, but I've never had a Blu Ray player before, so I was wondering
Yes, that does sound a bit confused.
DVD is DVD. DVD can't be BluRay.
BluRay is BluRay. BluRay can't be DVD.
No such thing as a BluRay DVD

The quality of a video is not related to the type of disc it is burned to, except in the case where high-capacity BluRay disc can contain video of a higher bitrate than DVD, and thus can contain larger files than a DVD disc. By "BluRay quality" I assume you mean higher resolution. Resolution isn't the only factor that defines image quality -- resolution and "sharpness" are of course important, but they're not at the top of the list of requirements. Another popular myth is that BluRay is always "HD", which isn't true. Yet another myth is that BluRay is always encoded as h264, which isn't true either.

Anyone can make a badly encoded DVD, and anyone can make a badly encoded BluRay. Utube and torrent downloads are frequent examples of encoding disasters. I'm willing to bet that the "BluRay rip" you downloaded via torrent isn't a "quality" 35GB download. It could be. But it probably isn't, IMO.

Formally speaking, DVD and BluRay are two different and precisely defined video formats. A lot of people burn different video formats to DVD or BluRay blank discs, but if the videos don't adhere to standardized DVD/BluRay/AVCHD specs, they are likely burned as "data" files using different encoding formats. Some of them can be read by some BluRay or DVD players, and some of them can't. You can burn a DVD video to a BluRay blank disc if you want, but it won't make the video "BluRay". It will still look like DVD. Then all you'd need is a player that won't choke on DVD format burned to a BluRay disc.
03-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Free Member

if your downloaded file is bigger than 8152MB you Must Get To BD.
There Is Some Files Out For Example 1080P High Definition With Lower Bitrate for video and Sound And The File Size Is Below 8152MB
You Can Burn Such Those Files On DVD and Put It Into Your Player But The Player Must Support Play 1080P Movie Movies.
And The File Format Is Another Thing That Must Your Player Support Like M2ts,MKV or MP4

If Your Player Support Playback 1080P And M2ts,MKV or MP4 Format And Your Files Size Is Under 8152MB You Can Burn It On DVD and DVD DL And Play It On Your Player.
But If Your File Is Bigger Than 8152MB You Must Go To Bluray , So Your Player Must Support Bluray Disc Playback And Compatibility OF Playing High Definition Files.
Because Some OLD Bluray Disc Players Dosen't Support File play They Only Play BDMOVIE.
08-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasalam View Post
if your downloaded file is bigger than 8152MB you Must Get To BD.
Members of this site create content, not download it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs