Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I have some doubts about the quality of DVD medias:

1 Is true that one out on which dye the media uses the color of the bottom of the disc?

2 is true that DVD + R is more durable and has more resistance than the DVD-R or is it myth? wherein the DVD + R has advantages

3 media say one second class according to digitalfaqs can last how many years? and first class last how many years?

4 to estimate the durability of a media starts from the date of manufacture or from when data is written? I did not find the manufacturing date of my philips dvd, possibly know that?

5 not found sony, verbatim and taiyo Yuden where I live, I bought Philips DVD + R ID CMC MAG M01, this Philips DVD is good and has good durability?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
1. No. Dye color is an indicator, but not a determining factor. Variations of good dye can be several colors. And inversely, variations of bad dye can be several colors. Worse yet, some plastic platters are dyed, to make the disc dye appear false. (Example: Memorex colors discs.). Now realize this refers to CD-R only; all DVD-R/+R should be purple, and all DVD-RW/+RW should be gun-metal gray.

2. Myth. DVD-R is slightly more compatible than DVD+R (~5%), but other than that, there are no real differences. In fact, they all contains the same basic ingredients: polycarbonate upper and lower, dye, silver/alloy (sometimes gold) foils. The only major difference is in how the data is written to the disc, and even that's mostly the same. The old DVD+R Alliance used to publish "DVD+R better than DVD-R" that never happened,

3. The class difference are not really for longevity. Once a disc has burned, they should all last about equal: anywhere from a few decades to a century. The difference between the classes is the quality of burns, either as coasters (failed burns) or absolute burn quality. The latter one affects how it plays and reads in players/ The only exception is Ritek dye, pre-Fuji oxonol, as that one has proven to fail sooner. How much sooner is debatable. (Hint: It's not 2-5 years, as boogeyman stories would suggest.)

4. When written. Technically, it's both, but at a MUCH slower rate unburned (almost undetectable).

5. When are you?
(I peaked at the IP, Brazil. Is that correct?) Most of the better media have to be bought online these days, as only cheapo junk is sold in stores. The one exception being computers stores like (in the USA) Fry's, Microcenter and maybe Tigerdirect stores. Amazon.com, Newegg.com, Meritline.com and Supermediastore.com have the good online.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

1 which provides that a DVD media will have a longer shelf life than the other?

2 medias have Philips DVD + R with ID CMC MAG M01, this media is good and has good durability to save my data?

3 What coloring Philips CMC MAG M01 uses? he is good?

4 How many years of durability has a DVD + R media, in my case the Philips CMC MAG M01?

5 yes, I'm from Brazil and here there is no media Taiyo Yuden, Sony is hard to find and verbatim is missing and if I import from outside Brazil will pay dearly for it not bought
09-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
1. Again, once a disc is burned, they all have pretty equal longevity -- except pre-oxonol Ritek, which is dismal. (Some other DVD-R that is no longer made is terrible too, but not worth mentioning in 2013.)

2. The media is very hit-or-miss (unreliable) when burning. CMC is one of the worst discs. RitekF is also fairly common, and should be better.

3. Again, all DVD-R and DVD+R dye is purple. And DVD-RW and DVD-RW is gun metal gray.

4. If it burned well, it should last decades. At minimum, 30 years is probably safe. At most, 100 years is likely. The player/burner is the biggest issue, as discs outlast those. In 30 years, I hope I can still read and play my discs!

5. Even so, there are other brands. You may not have access to TY and MCC, but maybe the RitekF is available.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
media dvd durability