Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

DVD + R from any manufacturer has some protection against scratches on the bottom face of the disc to not avoid damaging any data and does not damage the disc reading?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
DVD + R from any manufacturer has some protection against scratches on the bottom face of the disc to not avoid damaging any data and does not damage the disc reading?
Several manufacturers (FTI, MBIL, CMC Magnetics) offer so called "scratch-proof" DVDRs, those from FTI's UHC (Ultra Hard Coat) products range are probably the best ones.
http://www.mediasupply.com/falcon-pl...shiny-776.html
http://www.mediasupply.com/falcon-me...uhc-619-1.html
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM

My disc DVD is a box slim DVD+R Philips 16x (ID: CMC MAG M01) that my disc dvd have something that protects data and reading of scratches?
09-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
My disc DVD is a box slim DVD+R Philips 16x (ID: CMC MAG M01) that my disc dvd have something that protects data and reading of scratches?
No, your media are standard consumer-grade products.
09-26-2013, 06:43 AM

This Philips DVD + R 16x cmc mag m01 is the only dvd I found here to sell but he has nothing that protects data and reading from scratches?
09-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Free Member

im not sure why is this even a big deal?
just take care of you discs, keep them in cases and dont play frisbee with them and they will be fine
09-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I take care of my discs but sometimes there are unexpected scratches, already scratched when I put in the drive tray

so I want to know if Philips DVD + R CMC MAG M01 have something that protects the data layer and the layer of reading because I do not know how many layers a DVD + R has and how they are positioned
09-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Free Member

you are overly worried about nothing,
your discs are not getting fungus and all you can do about scratches to keep the discs safe.
all discs have a layer of polycarbonate that protects the data layer - if you scratch all the way though that some really bad would have to occur.
if you do get light to moderate scratches that renders the disc unreadable you can have it resurfaced.

important data should be backed up on multiple mediums and in multiple places.
a single home burned DVD should never be a sole backup

and in the future buy only Mitsubishi-Verbatim or JVC discs
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM

1 if I put a DVD + R with fungus on a drive this drive will be contaminated with fungi of the disc and any disc I put this drive will be contaminated? I am concerned about this and have not found answer me clarify this

2 is true or false that the layers of polycarbonate protects the layers of data reading and scratches?
09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Verbatim use to make "VideoGard" (yes, no U) discs, but no longer have them.

The days, for scatch protection, your only real choice if Taiyo Yuden for high-quality media.
Specifically, the DVD-R media with "Hard Coat": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=thdifa-20
There's nothing really easily available for DVD+R anymore.

The UAE FTI media would be a second choice, but those are somewhat expensive, given the quality of FTI's own media vs. TY.

I agree with volksjager, too, however.
- Take care of media.
- If needed, it can be resurfaced. Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=thdifa-20
- You can also burn extra copies of important videos or data (photos, documents, etc), so you always have backup copies.

I've been using DVD-R since the beginning, almost 15 years now, and I have never seen a disc infected with fungus. And I've handled (at very minimum) half a million discs. Never. Nunca.

The polycarbonate layer is a protection, yes. It sandwiches the dye and foil layers, and they should never be exposed.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
09-27-2013, 07:23 AM

1 How many layers of Polycarbonate is a DVD + R?

2 What do you call the layer responsible for reading DVD + R?

3 How is the organization of the layers on a DVD + R?

4 What is the thickness between the layers and layers of polycarbonate and reading data?

5 My DVD + R is a Philips 16x CMC MAG M01

6 How do I know and identify what is the dye used during my Philips media? I could not contact the CMC
09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Free Member

09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:

4 What is the thickness between the layers and layers of polycarbonate and reading data?

6 How do I know and identify what is the dye used during my Philips media? I could not contact the CMC
1. two
2. the data/active layer
3. the first one (from the bottom) is the active layer
4. ~140 nm
6. it should be either CMC Magnetics' proprietary dye or TDK's dye
09-27-2013, 11:41 AM

1 What is the layer responsible for reading the DVD + R disc? because I know that there are layers of polycarbonate and the data layer dye but I do not know the layer Reading

2 I asked, how many layers have a DVD + R? how they are distributed and pasted?

3 I am not speaking of the ridges in the data and I'm wondering the thickness of two layers of polycarbonate

4 How do I Identify and know what is the dye used During my Philips media? I could not contact the CMC, out on which dye is used for speed and disk recording (8x, 16x) or the color of the bottom layer?
09-28-2013, 04:19 PM

To some extent, yes, the questions are tedious and maybe (to some folks) semi-stupid. I know users at VideoHelp.com have been rude to this person already, and I don't want to do that here. (Remember, we try to keep this site professional!) But I think it adds to this site, so I'll play along for now. It's not like we don't know the answers to pretty much everything being asked anyway.

Quote:
1 What is the layer responsible for reading the DVD + R disc? because I know that there are layers of polycarbonate and the data layer dye but I do not know the layer Reading
2 I asked, how many layers have a DVD + R? how they are distributed and pasted?
3 I am not speaking of the ridges in the data and I'm wondering the thickness of two layers of polycarbonate
4 How do I Identify and know what is the dye used During my Philips media? I could not contact the CMC, out on which dye is used for speed and disk recording (8x, 16x) or the color of the bottom layer?
1. Common sense: the bottom. The purple side.

2. Diagram:

| upper ploycarbonate
| reflective foil
| dye
| lower polycarbonate

Furthermore, the reason DVD is archival, while CD and Blu-ray is not, is because the the polycarbonate layer thickness. DVD is 50/50. CD is nothing on top, all bottom. BD is mostly on top, thin bottom.

3. As per #2, it's 50/50.

4. You don't. Manufacturers try to keep this info away from consumers. Some will reveal if asked, others bluster with BS. CMC is an Azo type, like MCC, and (at one point) MBI and Prodisc. I actually don't know if Prodisc still exists, but it likely does (with less production now).

Quote:
1. Two.
2. The bottom. I'm sure it has a jargon name, but I don't see the point unless you're writing a jargon-filled diagram.
3. As per the last quote.
4. 1.2mm, almost all of which is polycarbonate. At least 1.0mm, I'd guess.
5. Not a question.
6. Again, likely Azo, It's just budget consumer media, not anything really good.

09-28-2013, 05:56 PM

1 The reflective layer is the layer responsible for reading the DVD + R disc ? because I want to know if the layer RESPONSIBLE for reading the disc is protected from scratches

2 I contacted the CMC and he told me that they use for the Philips AZO System dye and dye they said that the life of this album is at least 30 years if stored well , there is no hint for me to know what is the dye used on my hard disk just watching ?

3 My some discs released a piece of plastic that sits in the center of the disc but did not damage the disk and the disk is still being read , gotta worry about it ?
09-28-2013, 06:48 PM

1. Not entirely. The data is either in a dye, or in the polycarbonate (pressed media). The reflective foil is just that -- a reflective surface that bounces the reading signal back into the lens. The actual read happens before it hits the foil.

2. That's about right, assuming the initial burn was good (i.e., the disc was NOT a dud). The 30 years is a surprisingly honest answer in the age of BS (100 years, 1000 years, etc)

3. Double-layer DVD+R DL media have a semi-transparent spacer layer that also acts as a reflector.

09-28-2013, 06:57 PM

1 I did not ask about the data I asked if the reflective layer is responsible for reading the disc

2 The burn of my DVDs were good because they've been tested for surface analysis disc with Nero DiscSpeed ​​and no error found

3 My some discs released a piece of plastic que sits in the center of the disc but did not damage the disk and the disk is still being read, gotta worry about it?
09-28-2013, 07:05 PM

1. You read data. There's nothing else to read.
2. That's only one of several tests. It has no obvious errors -- but that's really all you can say right now.
3. I don't understand what you're talking about here. For something like this, photos are required.

09-28-2013, 07:53 PM

1 a piece of plastic from my hard loosened broke away from the center of the disk still the record keeps being read by the drive, I need to worry about it?

2 to end, the polycarbonate was actually made to protect data and disc scratches? polycarbonate is the protection I was looking for scratches?

Tags
disc scratch