Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

How do I know which is the dye used in my DVD media? I have a PHILIPS DVD + R 16x CMC MAG M01 manufactured in 2010 in Taiwan

I contacted the CMC and they said that the dye was System AZO dye and I told them that the disc was manufactured in 2010 and they said that the dye used in 2010 was the Cyanine but I did not believe it because I read on the internet that drives dvd Cyanine has green coloring but my DVD+R Philips has purple coloring

how to discover this? I trust the information the CMC?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It's not easy information to come by.
- Brands do not want you to know it's not actually their product (rebadges)
- Companies are all protective of their dye formulas, and heavily patent and safeguard them

I need to re-read my own information, because it's been while since I got into dye chemistry. From what I can remember, cyanine was not a DVD dye, but CD-R only. So that supposed info from CMC is suspect. Either:
- the person that wrote it was not paying attention
- there were too many language barriers
- or if you rambled, the question may have been confusing

For what I remember, CMC is a type of AZO since at least 2004.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-07-2013, 05:44 PM

I got in touch with the CMC and they said that the dye of Medias DVD + R 16x is even Cyanine and they said that Sony and taiyo also use this dye in their dvds and they said that there Cyanine DVD
10-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Then the CMC rep is an idiot.

- "Sony" isn't a manufacturer of discs, and hasn't been in many years. It was Daxon Taiwan (good) + Malaysia (not good) for years, and last I knew, it was RitekF oxonol dye. Daxon is out of business now. All Sony media is a simple rebadge.

- Taiyo Yuden uses neither cyanine or AZO in its discs, from what I remember. It's a unique organic dye. In fact, it's because it's not using AZO that causes it to have lower reflectivity that MCC media. As far as I know, cyanine dye is light purple and was only found in Princo media years ago.

Pepst can probably confirm this.

* I'm going completely from memory here. We have lot of docs to look up on this, but the server is down for maintenance right now. And to be honest, I'm busy with client projects, so unfortunately I can't spend lots of time on such research. Maybe later. This is stuff I want to publish on this site eventually.

EDIT:

Here's a post on this forum from a few year ago: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...-dvd-dvdr.html

We've been discussing blank media for years. Find the posts. They're here! Many of these topics are not new, especially the more advanced ones. That specific conservation was going to lead to publishing our research, but due to health issues, we had to delay it at least a year or more.

I can appreciate that you want to learn, and we like that around here. But you need to read what we put in posts, as well as research past conversations on this topic. You've been asking some of the same questions over and over again.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
For what I remember, CMC is a type of AZO since at least 2004.
They used/uses at least 5 different types of DVDR dye, including their own proprietary dye and Mitsubishi's AZO dyes for OEM media made for MKM (Verbatim) and CMC's 4x and 8x DVDRs.

Quote:
"Sony" isn't a manufacturer of discs, and hasn't been in many years. It was Daxon Taiwan (good) + Malaysia (not good) for years, and last I knew, it was RitekF oxonol dye. Daxon is out of business now. All Sony media is a simple rebadge.
+ Moser Baer India, which seems to be their biggest OEM supplier by now.

Quote:
Taiyo Yuden uses neither cyanine or AZO in its discs, from what I remember. It's a unique organic dye. In fact, it's because it's not using AZO that causes it to have lower reflectivity that MCC media. As far as I know, cyanine dye is light purple and was only found in Princo media years ago.
According to some sources, TY is using MKM's AZO dyes. I am not sure if this information is correct or not, but it's not completely improbable.
10-08-2013, 06:19 AM

1 You did not answer my questions : is there disc DVD + R Cyanine dye or this information is lying by the CMC ? the person who gave me this information works for CMC since 1992

2 what I can tell is that my media DVD + R Philips manufactured by CMC Magnetics has 16x speed and its color is purple

3 CMC also told me that Sony and Taiyo DVD medias also use Cyanine?
10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Free Member

Gamey, you ask all of these questions, creating all these same posts across five different forums (5 that I cared to wade thru, then I stopped looking for others).

You receive the same answers, yet you refuse to believe them OR claim you do not understand.

When will you decide to understand ANY answer? Since you say you do not understand the first 200 or so replies, which Reply number will you begin to understand?

I shudder to think if these earnest writers do a simple Google on "DVD Fungus" and discover the forums you are using to get the same answers.

Tags
media dvd dye