Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
CD's have a foil layer that is basically unprotected - solvents , abrasives, UV exposure etc can damage that
A CD-R is:
| lacquer / label
| foil
| dye
| polycarbonate (plastic)

A DVD-R is:
| lacquer / label
| upper polycarb
| foil
| dye
| lower polycarb

DVD polycarb is 50/50.
CD is 100% (much thicker on bottom).
Trivia: Bluray is an inverted CD, with a super-thin layer on bottom. It's a terrible archival format because of this!

Quote:
the foil is where the data is burned- there is no fixing that disk
It the dye layer that is burned, not the foil, which serves only to reflect the laser beam.

Quote:
DVD's are much more robust as the dye layer is sealed in polycarbonate.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
i never use CD's anymore- even the stereo in my truck uses flash memory cards for MP3's
I wish. Some of us are still stuck in the 1990s with our old cars.

I want my next one to be a shiny new 2015+ model. Maybe then I can enjoy tech like others have: MP3, GPS, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

guy, I have a Philips DVD + R and DVD in a piece of plastic ( polycarbonate ) is detached from the disc and I was wondering if this is harmful and it will make the data be erased from the disc , the disc had a burning

I'll post a picture of what is my disc, the piece of plastic that broke off the disc is in the center of the disc , so I know the DVDs are 2 layers of plastic and only 1 layer released this piece of plastic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20071230220629!Sony_Single_DVD+R.jpg (33.2 KB, 4 downloads)
02-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I wish. Some of us are still stuck in the 1990s with our old cars.
you dont need a newer car - my truck is a 2000
i just installed a mechless Pioneer mvh-8200 head unit
it has a SD card slot and a USB slot
02-01-2014, 08:50 AM

please someone answer my above doubts up
02-01-2014, 08:58 AM

@gamemaniaco:

That sounds like poor bonding on the disc which resulted in the glues separating. Yes, the disc is likely erased, as the disc would be completely screwed. When oxygen hits dye, it's dead for sure.

FYI: This is why you were banned last time: "please someone answer my above doubts up". Stop being pushy. You pay $0 for our time here, so it's not really your right to be impatient and make demands of us. You need to re-read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...-answered.html

@volksjager:

I hear you, but I don't want to invest anything else in that car. If I save everything I can this year, and don't have to buy anything else (new laptop, HTDV, etc), then I hope to put 50% down and have a tiny payment monthly. I'd just rather not spend anything unneeded. I work near where I live, and honestly don't drive that much lately anyway. I can survive the short drive with radio or the infrequently-added CD.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-01-2014, 09:03 AM

I do not know if the oxygen penetrate into the disc, the disc is not completely separate it remains stuck was just a piece of plastic that broke free from the center of the disc, there is a certain distance between the area where the plastic came loose and the area where this data, visualize the image I posted
02-01-2014, 09:25 AM

The image -- I see it now -- does not show any damage to the important part of the disc. Nothing was oxidized. However, the disc is damaged, and should therefore be copied to a new one.

02-01-2014, 09:32 AM

My Philips DVD + R is the same way that the disk image I posted, you saw that I did the outline of where the plastic came loose? in this area where I did the outline in red is where the plastic came out, realize that there is a certain distance between the area where the plastic came out and this area where the files, the disc remains stuck

I demonstrated this way the files are safe and will not be deleted because of this break plastic?
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
My Philips DVD + R is the same way that the disk image I posted, you saw that I did the outline of where the plastic came loose? in this area where I did the outline in red is where the plastic came out, realize that there is a certain distance between the area where the plastic came out and this area where the files, the disc remains stuck
This is storage/handling damage. Just re-burn it to new undamaged media. Common sense, to be honest.

02-01-2014, 05:21 PM

it is not damage the storage, when I bought the disc it already came with this defect, just wanna know if this damage I marked in red in the image will cause rust and corrosion on the disc, the oxygen penetrates in the inner layers of this disk DVD + R or this problem will not affect files?
02-02-2014, 02:01 AM

Then it was damage from poor quality control (QC), from the manufacturer, as stated earlier. It should have never been used. Toss it, and discs like it, in the trash. There's almost always 1-2 bad discs on a spindle, even from Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. Usually, it's the bottom disc, and was scuffed up.

Discs don't get rust. Wrong oxidation.

When oxygen hits dye, the dye is screwed. The disc is beyond dead.

02-02-2014, 08:20 AM

This type of problem that occurred with my Philips DVD + R (I posted the image) will cause rust and corrosion on the disc? will destroy the files? moisture and oxygen penetrate inside the disc? all these problems will occur or will not occur and that I can stay calm? I burned several files on that disc and keep it stored
02-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Again: Discs do not rust.

You need to stop worrying about "why" the discs are bad. You're having an entirely-too-hard time comprehending it. Unless you plan to have a career/hobby that involves thousand of burned DVDs -- which I highly doubt -- then don't worry about it. It's not important. The disc is bad. Just re-burn and move on. The end. No need to have this conversation.

And if recordable media is that scary to you, stop using it.

02-02-2014, 08:35 AM

I know it's disc not rust but seeing the pictures I see that has disks that when moisture and oxygen penetrate inside the disk and some chemical corrosion reactions occur, look at the picture: http://www.nwsoundarchive.co.uk/userFiles/image/compact-disc-breakage.jpg
I wonder if this will happen with that my Philips DVD + R that broke a piece of plastic, moisture and oxygen penetrate inside that my disk?
02-02-2014, 08:40 AM

No. Those pictures are of different errors -- poor handling/storage from the looks of it.

02-02-2014, 08:45 AM

thanks for your help

then my dvd disc is well sealed and good pressed even though he ripped a piece of plastic? the oxygen and moisture not penetrate inside it? I will not lose my files?

I would store that disc and burn future better medias
02-02-2014, 08:51 AM

No, your discs isn't safe. The tear/break could spread. If it does, and gets to the dye layer, then it would be toast. Right now, it has not spread yet. So burn a new one before it does.

Just re-burn the disc to new media. Problem solved.

02-02-2014, 08:56 AM

the area of the disc where the plastic disc broke far from the area where this dye, the disc looking I see that it is stuck, that my dvd disc was manufactured in 2010 with this problem and to this day he does not show any corrosion

I have no other discs, the best that I found here were these philips dvd but have ended

if I am sure this piece of plastic that broke off the disk will not cause problems with files and disk storage I'd be more calm and keep the disc to burn better future medias

Last edited by gamemaniaco; 02-02-2014 at 09:15 AM.
02-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Yes, but again, it could always spread. If you don't want to make another copy, that's your choice, but not my suggestion. At very least, put an ISO on a drive. Or make a second copy. When a disc cracks like that, it eventually spreads. I've seen this happen before. Around 2011, I had discs from 2002-2004 (Princo mostly) where the cracks grew with time. One did permeate the dye layer. These were all research discs of course -- long ago both re-burned and stored as ISO. Not the only copy at all.

02-02-2014, 09:31 AM

in my disc does not have cracks was just a piece of plastic that broke off and he still stuck

see a new image that I posted, that is the area in red is where the plastic broke, was the first piece of polycarbonate layers to this another layer intact

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20071230220629!Sony_Single_DVD+R.jpg (33.2 KB, 4 downloads)

Tags
problems discs