Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Dear Experts,

I have got four, individual questions.

1) Which brands or types of blank DVDs are employed for genuine editions of films?

2) Which brands of types of blank DVDs are employed for genuine windows operating system discs?

3) Which brands or types of blank DVDs are employed for high-definition films?

4) Is Blu-ray Disc the best type of blank DVDs for films? What are the best brands of Blu-ray Disc?

5) I have got three scratched but still readable DVDs (anime); the problem is that when they are played by the DVD Player, some parts of the film will be stuck or will blur. Therefore, I want to burn another copy of or extract the content from the scratched DVDs onto another disc. My question is, Has the content of the scratched DVDs also been damaged? If I copy the content of the scratched DVDs manually on the computer or burn it onto another disc, will I get original-quality content (no stuck, no blur; same definition)? How can I get original-quality content back?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Remembered

Quote:
5) I have got three scratched but still readable DVDs
Reading set speed down [Nero Disk Speed]
Read by IsoBuster
If the fuse blocks [IFO BUP +] still in order, reading can take a while depending on scratches.
I had been here a DVD as needed IsoBuster for the first 15 seconds ... 2 hrs total.

Alternative program:
h2cdimage see Picture
and Roadkil`s unstoppable [is also available in English]

More I can not write here, we also need to be able to live data savior of what

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.h2cdimage.jpg (24.7 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: png 2.Roadkil`s.png (52.7 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: png 3.roadkil`s.png (46.4 KB, 4 downloads)
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: ChimaeraJ (12-19-2015)
12-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
If your question refers to commercial media used for retail production or computer software masters, manufacturers use discs that are similar to consumer media, but the two types are not alike. Commercial discs are mechanically pressed in great volume, not optically burned. You can't buy industrial media in your local store. Industrial media are manufactured and sold by the thousands for specific retail vendors, manufactured to technical requirements specified by the vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimaeraJ View Post
3) Which brands or types of blank DVDs are employed for high-definition films?
4) Is Blu-ray Disc the best type of blank DVDs for films? What are the best brands of Blu-ray Disc?
DVD and BluRay require different disc types. Retail vendors use commercially pressed DVD-ROM and BD-ROM that are not the same product as the blank media used by the average consumer.

Whether the content is film-based or not is a matter of the video encoding, not a matter of the disc.

The subject of the "best" consumer blank media for DVD and BluRay has been discussed many times in great detail in this forum, in several recent threads during the past few weeks. The usual recommendation for blank DVD is Verbatim AZO DVD-R or Panasonic DVD-R, or Verbatim AZO DVD+R-DL. The recommended BluRay discs are from Verbatim and Panasonic. Because these are not not cheaply made, they are not the cheapest brands and are not sold everywhere. Your best choice would be the internet.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: ChimaeraJ (12-19-2015)
12-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Dear sanlyn,

Which type and which brand of blank DVDs will you recommend that I use, if I want to burn a film (anime) to the DVD? I want the best quality of sound and definition and I want lossless quality.
12-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Replying as a I read...

I'm not sure why you specifically refer to "films". DVD media is DVD media, regardless of the contents (data, DVD-Video, etc). This is still applicable in 2015: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Again, the content doesn't matter. A Windows OS disc is just data. (Technically all DVD content is data, including movies.)

The maximum resolution for DVD-Video is 720x480. Technically, yes, you could put HD video files on a unauthored disc. But how playable that is depends on the player. Most DVD and Blu-ray players will balk at video files on disc, preferring instead thumb drives, network drives, and DLNA.

Blu-ray is not DVD. A BD disc is a BD disc, and a DVD is a DVD.

The content of the scratched DVD is likely not harmed. However, the ability to read it is. Ripping and re-burning it may be the only step necessary to "restore" the disc. If the computer DVD burner/reader will also not read the disc, you may need to simply get it resurfaced. Any decent DVD rental shop can do this, usually by using an RTI machine.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KQ4JQTW5TEN545

You really need to read that DVD quality review. Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi/Verbatim are the best.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ChimaeraJ (12-21-2015)
12-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Replying as a I read...

I'm not sure why you specifically refer to "films". DVD media is DVD media, regardless of the contents (data, DVD-Video, etc). This is still applicable in 2015: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Again, the content doesn't matter. A Windows OS disc is just data. (Technically all DVD content is data, including movies.)

The maximum resolution for DVD-Video is 720x480. Technically, yes, you could put HD video files on a unauthored disc. But how playable that is depends on the player. Most DVD and Blu-ray players will balk at video files on disc, preferring instead thumb drives, network drives, and DLNA.

Blu-ray is not DVD. A BD disc is a BD disc, and a DVD is a DVD.

The content of the scratched DVD is likely not harmed. However, the ability to read it is. Ripping and re-burning it may be the only step necessary to "restore" the disc. If the computer DVD burner/reader will also not read the disc, you may need to simply get it resurfaced. Any decent DVD rental shop can do this, usually by using an RTI machine.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KQ4JQTW5TEN545

You really need to read that DVD quality review. Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi/Verbatim are the best.
1) I specify films and operating system discs, because I believe that films and operating systems are usually recorded onto high-quality types and brands of DVDs. Thank you for the correction: BD is not DVD.

2) By 'films', I mean the films that we watch, the ones (genuine, not pirate edition) that we can purchase at shops, like Hollywood films. Which types and brands of DVDs or what brands of BDs are used for these films?

3) I think that I will have to get my DVDs resurfaced. Does burning burn the original content of the scratched DVDs completely or only partially?
12-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
2) By 'films', I mean the films that we watch, the ones (genuine, not pirate edition) that we can purchase at shops, like Hollywood films. Which types and brands of DVDs or what brands of BDs are used for these films?
This question has already been answered. Commercial producers don't use the same media that consumers can buy in stores. You cannot buy them or use them to create DVD or BluRay discs with a DVD or BD burner on a personal computer.

Quote:
3) I think that I will have to get my DVDs resurfaced. Does burning burn the original content of the scratched DVDs completely or only partially?
A resurfaced disc cannot be used again. Resurfacing is an attempt to make the disc able to be read, not burned.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: ChimaeraJ (12-21-2015)
12-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
A resurfaced disc cannot be used again. Resurfacing is an attempt to make the disc able to be read, not burned.
Not quite.

You can resurface a pressed disc probably 3-4 times before it gets too out-of-spec. So you can still use it as-is, but you probably should not. After the disc is resurfaced for the second time, you really need to just extract the data from it.

A burned disc can only safely have one resurface done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs