Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-30-2015, 04:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I honestly find the topic strange and confusing.

It's 2015. Tapes are dead. Even moving-parts hard drives are being replaced in droves.

The idea that tape backup (LTO) is more reliable than optical or magnetic media is wrong. The only "tests" that I've ever seen to date making that claim were from IBM and HP. And surprise, surprise, IBM/HP are part of the LTO consortium. (IBM actually puts out lots of FUD related to media longevity, and was the source of that BS "2-5 years" DVD story some years back.) At the end of the day, it's still just tape. And tape has the same flaws whether it's VHS or LTO. Tape longevity is still far below any optical storage longevity. LTO is meant for large organizations to backup large amounts of data in one pass, and not really rewrite to the tapes much (or at all). Again, LTO isn't really any different than VHS at it the core.

The Magneto-Optical (X-MEN? Erik Lensherr?) drive was aborted tech from Sony. It's always been a flop, and for good reason. It was expensive and had it's own set of longevity/recoverability errors.

The best MiniDV player is actually a camera. Most DV decks have issues and quirks.

Matshita (aka Matsushita, the parent of JVC/Panasonic) is an infamous drive that is used in OEM systems -- especially laptops. They're not the greatest, and they are very hit-or-miss, even with the best MCC or TY media.

Optical media does not decompose "quickly". Optical media tends to last decades. And in the future, drives will be the main issue, not the discs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I honestly find the topic strange and confusing.

It's 2015. Tapes are dead. Even moving-parts hard drives are being replaced in droves.

The idea that tape backup (LTO) is more reliable than optical or magnetic media is wrong. The only "tests" that I've ever seen to date making that claim were from IBM and HP. And surprise, surprise, IBM/HP are part of the LTO consortium. (IBM actually puts out lots of FUD related to media longevity, and was the source of that BS "2-5 years" DVD story some years back.) At the end of the day, it's still just tape. And tape has the same flaws whether it's VHS or LTO. Tape longevity is still far below any optical storage longevity. LTO is meant for large organizations to backup large amounts of data in one pass, and not really rewrite to the tapes much (or at all). Again, LTO isn't really any different than VHS at it the core.

The Magneto-Optical (X-MEN? Erik Lensherr?) drive was aborted tech from Sony. It's always been a flop, and for good reason. It was expensive and had it's own set of longevity/recoverability errors.

The best MiniDV player is actually a camera. Most DV decks have issues and quirks.

Matshita (aka Matsushita, the parent of JVC/Panasonic) is an infamous drive that is used in OEM systems -- especially laptops. They're not the greatest, and they are very hit-or-miss, even with the best MCC or TY media.

Optical media does not decompose "quickly". Optical media tends to last decades. And in the future, drives will be the main issue, not the discs.
1. Taped do pretty well still, especially cassette tapes, the market is huge.

2. Tapes usually retain the data around 40-50 years, untill succumbing to Earth's magnetic field. I still have floppies that have no bad sectors after 20-30 years of storage. I even found 5,25" with tetris, saper and mahjong, I've spent few hours playing the first one.

3. MO don't loose their magnetic orientation at ambient temperature. But they were and are expensive, even more than LTO. As for LTOs, indeed for large backups with one pass, never to be written again, that's the purpose of industrial backup.

4. The 8mm digression has gone too far.

5. As long as music is released on CDs the BD drives will always be combos, so the drives are not the issue.

6. The decomposition of optical media IS happening, but t depends on the quality of the media, some CD-Rs duplicated at pressing plants I own are already hard to read by EAC, while some made at home by Artists show no errors (Kodak from 1999 for example).

7. We're back at solving the problem which BD combo does the best at writing TY CD-Rs to make CDDA discs.
12-30-2015, 06:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Tape longevity is 25-65 years, depending on multiple factors, including the format.

I also have old floppies that still work. It's the drives that die (and take the disks with them). The files were longer ago moved to CD, then later DVD, then later DVD ISO on HDD (and 3x copied). Older 5.25 last longer than the 3.5 disks.

FYI, my laptop has a Matishita BD-reader and DVD/CD writer. It's decent at low speeds (4x DVD, 16x CD).

Pressed media, dye-based media, and phase change crystalline media all behave differently. Furthermore, CD-R is exposed and non-archival.

CD-R is not pressed.

My answer for the "best drive" is unchanged: Pioneer. I use it with TY inkjet CD-R, and it plays without issue in a picky 1999 Sony disc changer.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Free Member

Longevity of all media depends on many factors, especially ambient conditions.

I will backup my floppies, when I will be unpacked at new location.

I know CD-R is not pressed, I was talking about duplicated CD-Rs at pressing plants, because some offer such service, for lower quantities, it's cheaper than pressing the exact small amount, but it's bad idea not to choose pressed CD...

Pioneer, any particular model?