digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Appropriate temperatures for storing optical media? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/7002-temperatures-storing-optical.html)

gamemaniaco 01-28-2016 02:20 PM

Appropriate temperatures for storing optical media?

Some medias optical manufacturers say a DVD + R disc has a useful life expectancy of 30 ~ 50 years in normal storage conditions, other manufacturers say 100 years in good condition

1 For a life of 30 years the DVD + R disc should be stored at which temperature ºC?

2 For the same DVD + R disc have an expected useful life of 50 years which the temperature it should be stored ºC?

jmac698 01-30-2016 11:40 PM

You could use these guidelines http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec5.html

It doesn't seem that temperature matters too much, just avoid fast changes in temperature and keep humidity around 40%, and avoid UV (florescent lights, sunlight) with -R.

gamemaniaco 02-05-2016 07:15 AM

1 For a life of 30 years the DVD + R disc should be stored at which temperature ºC?

2 For the same DVD + R disc have an expected useful life of 50 years which the temperature it should be stored ºC?

lordsmurf 02-05-2016 11:44 AM

Temperatures are far less harmful than the relative humidity (RH%).

Stay about 10 degrees above freezing, and 10 degrees below the max "too hot outside" temps. In Fahrenheit, that's about 45 to 80. In Celsius/centigrade, that'd be about 5 to 25.

- The lower, the more chance that the can crystallize the dye and bonding.
- The more, the more chance of melting the bonding, or even changing the dye (ie re-burning it, like the laser did!)

As mentioned, rapid changes are also very bad.

Again, most of this is general optical science, and applies to not just discs, but cameras as well.

Lifespans are based off accelerated aging tests, and mostly apply to the longevity of the raw materials in the discs. It hasn't got much to do with temps. That's why more aging tests are of limited value, as they don't account for environmental variables. Only if the discs are kept undamaged, and in recommended temps, will the lifespans be decades long (and 35-65 years, like magnetic tape, is a good estimate).

If stored in a garage/attic/basement, or in another locale with similar undesired temp/humidity, then the lifespans will be lesser. I'm thinking that, for your situation in Brazil, the discs will probably last, at very least, 15-25 years. And honestly, given how quickly DVD has come to market and yet again become unpopular in only 20 years, I don't think you have much to worry about. In another 20, disc may be in a museum like VHS. We'll have cheap fast SSD for sure.

gamemaniaco 02-05-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 42194)
Temperatures are far less harmful than the relative humidity (RH%).

Stay about 10 degrees above freezing, and 10 degrees below the max "too hot outside" temps. In Fahrenheit, that's about 45 to 80. In Celsius/centigrade, that'd be about 5 to 25.

- The lower, the more chance that the can crystallize the dye and bonding.
- The more, the more chance of melting the bonding, or even changing the dye (ie re-burning it, like the laser did!)

As mentioned, rapid changes are also very bad.

Again, most of this is general optical science, and applies to not just discs, but cameras as well.

Lifespans are based off accelerated aging tests, and mostly apply to the longevity of the raw materials in the discs. It hasn't got much to do with temps. That's why more aging tests are of limited value, as they don't account for environmental variables. Only if the discs are kept undamaged, and in recommended temps, will the lifespans be decades long (and 35-65 years, like magnetic tape, is a good estimate).

If stored in a garage/attic/basement, or in another locale with similar undesired temp/humidity, then the lifespans will be lesser. I'm thinking that, for your situation in Brazil, the discs will probably last, at very least, 15-25 years. And honestly, given how quickly DVD has come to market and yet again become unpopular in only 20 years, I don't think you have much to worry about. In another 20, disc may be in a museum like VHS. We'll have cheap fast SSD for sure.

In my DVD + R 16x Philips (CMC MAG M01) CMC said by email that the expected useful life of this disc is 30 ~ 50 years in normal temperature e humidity, this information is true or false?

they did not say what the temperature to disc live 30 years and did not say which is the recommended temperature for this disc live 50 years, what are these temperatures for 30 or 50 years of expected useful life of this disc

Lordsmurf thank you for your help

lordsmurf 02-05-2016 01:20 PM

CMC is known to cut corners to create cheap discs. So the raw materials are of lesser quality. Verbatim (quality company) says 75-100 years, and CMC (not quality company) says 30-50 years. They give half the numbers. I doubt they're being any more truthful than Verbatim, and those were cherry picked stats. In reality, it's probably about 50-65% of that. That's what we've been finding.

So the CMC claim of 30-50 is more like 15-35.
Just like Verbatim was more realistic at 35-65.

At least CMC was being honest enough to not claim the same 75-100.

gamemaniaco 02-05-2016 01:29 PM

CMC DVD + R 16x (CMC MAG M01) the truth is 15-35 years old and not 30 ~ 50?
which temperature the DVD disc + R 16x Philips CMC mag m01 should be stored to have a life of 35 years?

and for 15 years this DVD disc must be stored in which temperature?

This information is true or lie? dvd + r disc CMC has this useful life of at least 40 years?

I received a new email from the CMC and they said:
Quote:

With respect to safety of data / Lifetime of the product, CMC can give The Following statement
is its 16X DVD-R products:
Accelerated aging tests que follow the standard of ECMA-379 / ISO-10995 allow to expect
que CMC 16X DVD-R can be archived for at least 40 years if the conditions are Following
met:
· The 16X DVD-R archiving are stored under standard conditions (25 ° C, 50% relative
humidity, protected against light and against dust and other pollution).
· The 16X DVD-R are treated enquiry.c, and Especially the surface is not damaged by
scratches, stains, etc.
· The used hardware and software for the writing and reading of the 16X DVD-R is in
well condition.
· The 16X DVD-R have only Been used for the intended purpose of recording date.

dpalomaki 02-26-2016 07:50 PM

Statistically TRUE - IF you comply with the stated conditions; e.g., "The 16X DVD-R archiving are stored under standard conditions (25 ° C, 50% relative humidity, protected against light and against dust and other pollution)."

Violate the conditions and all bets are off. Note that changes in temperature and RH (e.g., daytime highs of 30 C and nighttime lows of 20 C, and/or RH swings between 40% and 60%) both violate the stated conditions.

As stated in other threads, if long life of the data is a serious concern, make duplicate disks, test your disks periodically, and make new copies when you see the correctable error rates start to increase - before they become not correctable.

gamemaniaco 02-27-2016 04:56 AM

1 CMC contact me by email saying that the DVD-R 16x them my DVD + R 16x Philips (ID: CMC MAG M01) has a 40 year life at 25 ° C 50% RH they spoke the truth or a lie? I can trust them?

2 my disc was manufactured in 2010, it is stored at 30 ° C ~ 36 ° C and 35% ~ 64% RH without rain, what is the life expectancy of this DVD + R disc?
I would like the opinion of Lordsmurf

25 ° C + 11 ° C = 36 °C it's been six years of disc manufacturing in my rh and temp

gamemaniaco 03-11-2016 07:49 AM

1 CMC contact me by email saying that the DVD-R 16x them my DVD + R 16x Philips (ID: CMC MAG M01) has a 40 year life at 25 ° C 50% RH they spoke the truth or a lie? I can trust them?

2 my disc was manufactured in 2010, it is stored at 30 ° C ~ 36 ° C and 35% ~ 64% RH without rain, what is the life expectancy of this DVD + R disc?
I would like the opinion of Lordsmurf

25 ° C + 11 ° C = 36 °C it's been six years of disc manufacturing in my rh and temp

dpalomaki 03-11-2016 09:17 AM

You have already received the most precise answers to this (and other similar/related threads) that anyone here is in a position to provide.

The only reliable way to ensure survival of your data is to have backup copies stored off site in an environmentally controlled space and to test and refresh/rerecord the data before your existing data recordings develop uncorrectable errors.

gamemaniaco 03-11-2016 09:21 AM

1 I have 2 copies stored in the same room, the DVD discs were burned in 2012

2 I wanted to clarify the doubts: CMC contact me by email saying que the DVD-R 16x Them my DVD + R 16x Philips (ID: CMC MAG M01) has a 40 year life at 25 ° C 50% RH They spoke the truth or a lie? I can trust Them?

dpalomaki 03-11-2016 09:53 AM

What they said is very likely true based on their tests, but your environment is substantially different, including:

- varying temperatures, well above the steady 25C in their statement
- Varying humidity, not a steady 50%
- smoke/fumes from coal fires in the environment (mentioned in a different thread)
- and likely other factors not yet enumerated.

Because your situation does not match their statement the expected life would not be the same.

Variations in temperature and humidity cause changes the chemical reaction rates and add mechanical stresses that can induce or allow further deterioration of the materials, seals, and bonds. Any pollutants in the air can cause further deterioration if they reach the media and recorded layers such as through weakened seals/bonds. CMC (nor anyone else) can tell you what your expected media life would be in your situation beyond that it would be less, probably substantially less

I suspect people are reluctant to respond to your posts because you seem unable to accept this logic and the approaches to address the risks, and continue to beat a dead horse over the accuracy of CMC's statement.

gamemaniaco 03-11-2016 10:02 AM

in my storage temperature for 24 hours per day is 30 ~ 36 degrees ° C and humidity 35% ~ 66% RH without rain, coal smoke rarely comes into my house, comparing the data provided by the CMC (40 year life at 25 ° C 50% RH) and my storage (30 ~ 36 degrees and humidity 35% ~ 66%) how many years is the expected useful life of my DVD + R 16x Philips (CMC MAG M01)?