Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Free Member

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and I look forward to being here.

I have a question about using Sony brand dvd-r discs. I have a new Toshiba multidrive dvd burner and when I used it to burn Verbatim brand dvd-r discs the process was simple and quick. But as soon as I started using Sony brand dvd-r discs my projects take up to 3 hours to burn. Has anyone else had this problem? This is a very unpleasant situation because it can take all day to burn just a few projects.

I have used Ashampoo and Burnaware free software for my data and movie projects with Verbatim discs with no problems. But the Sony discs seem to be defective. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Why switch? Most members here are familiar with SONY and its QC problems. Not what they were 10 or 15 years ago. Stick with Verbatim AZO (and make certain "AZO" is on the label). I get mine from Amazon and MicroCenter.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: misstheresa2009 (03-14-2016)
03-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Free Member

Thank you, Sanlyn. I will go back to Verbatim and thanks for telling me about AZO.
03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheresa2009 View Post
I have used Ashampoo and Burnaware free software for my data and movie projects
This is probably part of your problem, for burning "movie" (DVD-Video?) project. Ashampoo isn't any good, and BurnAware is best used just for CD audio. For data and DVD-Video, you really should be using Imgburn*.

* The new version installs spyware/junkware,
so use 2.5.7.0, or 2.5.5.0 available here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-...dvdshrink.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Most members here are familiar with SONY and its QC problems. Not what they were 10 or 15 years ago.
No, that's not accurate.

For one thing, Sony never made media, period. They rebadged media from other manufacturers.

About a decade ago, circa 2004 or so, Sony DVD-R and DVD+R was often lousy stuff. I actually forget who Sony was using at the time, but it was terrible, one of the 3rd/4th class manufacturers

They used semi-decent INFODISC for DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

For a short time in 2006, the DVD+R was actually Taiyo Yuden YUDENT001 (4x) and 002 (8x) media, which is of course one of the best discs you can buy, then or now.

Then they moved to DAXON around 2007/2008 until it shut down in 2010, and all stock was gone by 2011. DAXON was actually good media, when from Taiwain. It was the Malaysian discs that were junk. Not sure why the DAXON factories differed so much.

Then Sony moved to Ritek's Fuji-oxonol dye RITEKF media, which was/is really good.

There have always been other media thrown into the mix, but it was always primarily those mentioned above. We have seen TDK, MBI, Ricoh, and some others over the years, but it's pretty rare.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: misstheresa2009 (03-23-2016)
03-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmith for the assuring words about the Sony RITEKF media, I have most of my radio station music library written on those, and I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Ritek.

To the original poster of this thread, they may want to update their firmware. I had similar issues with Verbatim discs taking an hour to burn on my PLDS DH 16AAS burner; a firmware update now enables me to burn 4x and 8x discs within 10 minutes with Nero taking about six minutes for a data verify.
The following users thank radio2prfm for this useful post: misstheresa2009 (03-26-2016)
03-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

pre-Oxonol (Fuji tech) media was indeed lousy.

Quick history on Ritek:

I used it way back in 2001, and was wholly unimpressed by the RITEKG01 discs of the time. The dye was lousy, reflectivity was lousy.

People were swooning like idiots (on sites like Videohelp, Afterdawn, and CDfreaks) during the G03 days (2003/2004), and I was often derided for us not ranking them as "the bestest ever!" But I knew better. The discs performed poorly in tests, and had crappy reflectivity. The ooh-ahh's lasted into the G04 days ... and then all hell broke loose. People was suddenly finding that their discs were NOT good at all. That's when the stupid "disappearing data" myth began, as almost nobody tested media (and honestly, most still don't). The discs were never great, and various conditions (new drives and players, usually) had issues with G03 and G04. Almost all early "disappearing data" posts you find online are a direct result of Ritek media.

It didn't help that Ritek offloaded tons of known-bad media to Asian markets, who in turn re-sold that bad media to mostly European and North American markets. (Ah, globalization. Everybody rebadges and reselling garbage to make a few cents.)

I had a few cherry-picked (and rare) purple G04 discs directly from Ritek, which were and still are great, but that was not a common experience. I never saw a decent G03 discs. Never. It was worse than G01 and G02.

Ritek G05 died quickly (because nobody would buy it), and G06 never happened.

Ritek also screwed up Ricoh media after buying/licensing it (2005), during the 4x/8x DVD+R era. The timeline for terrible DVD+R matches the DVD-R pretty closely. All that RITEKR0x media was pitiful, and some "RICOH" media was actually "fake" because it was just Ritek in disguise. Since Ritek officially licensed the Ricoh code, technically it wasn't fake -- but it sort of was.

At the same time that G05 was being scrapped, Fuji quit making media, and instead licensed out their tech. Ritek picked it up, and cleaned up their act. Ritek using oxonol happened somewhere around 2007/2008, going from memory. It was hard to find for a few years, then suddenly it was everywhere, as companies like Daxon disappeared.

So everything you've ever read about Ritek sucking is probably 99% true. The first decade of Ritek was terrible. But then oxonol came along, and things changed.

* Most of this comes from memory, with a couple Google look-ups to verify some dates.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: radio2prfm (03-26-2016)
03-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Aside from unearthing my Sony DVDs, I've also dug out my TDKs (containing a mirror backup), and also saw they were RITEKF1. Well, at least I'll sleep a little easier tonight.
03-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

If you want to sleep better, copy all the discs to either:

a - ISO images on a hard drive
b - another type of disc, be it Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden

Then you'll have it twice on good media. And that's honestly the best place to be!