Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-08-2017, 05:01 AM
Free Member

You are asking extremely specific questions that do not have very specific answers. You're asking for specific answers that don't exist, and wouldn't be useful if they did.

The difference between different materials and manufactures of digital media is not going to make a significant overall difference. If I buy two different brands of tomatoes, one might last a day longer than the other. But after a month it doesn't matter, because they've both gone bad.

At the end of the day, no matter the label or brand, DVDs are made of plastic and glue. Stuff that goes bad.

If anyone here could tell you when your discs would degrade to the point of failure, they would. But they can't. Nobody can. Not even the engineers that created the exact model of disc that you own.

What we can tell you, and what LordSmurf has already told you, is a number of practices you can employ to ensure that the eventual degradation of the disc media does not result in the loss of your data.

You need to back up your data. This is the only answer that will help.
The following users thank dinkleberg for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-15-2017)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Please! Make...it...stop....
The following users thank JoRodd for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-15-2017)
09-23-2017, 05:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The number was for all media. You have horrible conditions for media storage. As such, life expectancy is shorten. I think 10-15 years is a good estimate for all of your discs, regardless of brand, assuming the burns were good to begin with.

I'm really not sure how much difference plastic and cardboard will make in non-ideal conditions. Plastic builds up moisture, cardboard absorbs it. I really can't tell you more than that. If you want more info, I suggest you consult a teacher or professor at a local school or college. I'm no Bill Nye.

My estimate have little to do with dye, and are more about the bonding being attacked by moisture. All things even, the non-dye is probably better than the dye, for you.

If you think 13 is too quick, fine. My estimate are conservative. I want to be too early, not too late (because it's too late! data gone when too late!)

No idea what graph you refer to.

No idea on media stampings. Ask them, not me.

I need to help other members here, not just you, so that's your one for this month.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-15-2017)
09-23-2017, 06:34 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

if my verbatim azo dvdr and mdisc verbatim dvdr is stored six months at temperatures 30-35 ° C and humidity 50-64% and the rest of the year six months at 90% RH 29-35 ° C what would be the expected life expectancy of these disks? I'm taking measurements with my hygrometer and I'll post it here for you to help me
09-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Free Member

Does you country have a "National Archives" that stores and retains important historical documents and files including on disc media, or maybe a library department in a university?

Try contacting them for their take as to what works best in your country. They are in the business of protecting documents and should know.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: dinkleberg (09-23-2017), gamemaniaco (11-15-2017)
10-29-2017, 07:00 AM

1 my test with digital hygrometer inside a closed plastic bag tied marked 50% of RH, is that good and the humidity will not get stuck inside the bag? when it rains the humidity inside the bag is high when it does not rain the humidity drops

2 if my verbatim azo dvdr and mdisc verbatim dvdr is stored six months at temperatures 30-35 ° C and humidity 50-64% and the rest of the year six months at 90% RH 29-35 ° C what would be the expected life expectancy of these disks? I'm taking measurements with my hygrometer and I'll post it here for you to help me

3 Is it advisable to store discs and cases out of the closed bag?

-- merged --

1 my test with digital hygrometer inside a closed plastic bag tied marked 50% of RH, is that good and the humidity will not get stuck inside the bag? when it rains the humidity inside the bag is high when it does not rain the humidity drops

2 if my verbatim azo dvdr and mdisc verbatim dvdr is stored six months at temperatures 30-35 ° C and humidity 50-64% and the rest of the year six months at 90% RH 29-35 ° C what would be the expected life expectancy of these disks? I'm taking measurements with my hygrometer and I'll post it here for you to help me

3 Is it advisable to store discs and cases and the spindles of medias out of the closed bag?

Lordsmurf could you answer my questions above?
10-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

You have made almost 400 posts but have not joined as a member AND you ask a million questions.

How about joining and making a donation?

Nothing worthwhile is free.
The following users thank JoRodd for this useful post: gamemaniaco (11-15-2017), lordsmurf (11-16-2017)
11-15-2017, 04:34 AM

I wanted only a rough estimate of how many years expectancy useful life the Verbatim DVD-R AZO and DVDR-MDisc Verbatim will live and store all my files in the following storage conditions: January to June 29-30 ° C and maximum humidity reaches 90 % (on rainy days) and from June to December 41% -65% ~ 30 ° C - 35 ° C 6 months rainy season and 6 months dry season

this calculation I do not know how to do because it also has the not real Datarius estimate

I ask the help of my friend Lordsmurf
11-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Answered here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...html#post50956

13 is still the answer.

Damage is done at extremes, not averages.

I can't do Celsius > Fahrenheit in my head. You'll need to convert to F if you want my advice on temps. I'm not taking the time to convert all those myself. However, it's probably moot. Again, extremes matter, not averages or low points. I'm guessing you're showing me that summer is hot, the rest not. Kind of a "duh".

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (12-10-2017)
11-16-2017, 07:47 AM

1 Even with half of the year the humidity low and temperature higher and in the other half of the year more humid and colder would be only 13 years?

2 What could I do for the dvdr mdisc verbatim live 40 or 50 years? I do not have air conditioning

3 the temperatures and humidity here are those I quoted before in ēC and %

4 I thought that your calculation for 13 would be 365 days of the year in 90% RH

5 the problem is I do not know the year of manufacture of the dvdr verbatim mdis and my dvd-r verbatim azo to find out if it is less than 13 years

6 temperature is 87.8F-95F on dry days half of the year is dry here 6 months, half of the year 6 months is rainy season with a few days of 90% humidity and on these rainy days the temperature stays low between 84.2F-89,6F

Last edited by gamemaniaco; 11-16-2017 at 08:35 AM.
11-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What could I do for the dvdr mdisc verbatim live 40 or 50 years? I do not have air conditioning...
Then find and pay for suitable environmentally controlled storage that will maintain 20 C (68 F) and 50% RH. There is no free lunch.

Or as discussed many times before, make backups and test regularly and make new recordings as the old recording develop higher read error rates.

You cannot extend the life of an individual disk under uncontrolled environmental conditions, but you can extend the life of the data by making new replacement recordings periodically.

Life figures are estimates based on typical performance of media under stated conditions, other things being equal. However, due to variations in individual pieces of media (e.g., manufacturing variances) the life of a specific disk could be very different from the "average" just as some light bulbs will last longer, and others burn out sooner.

You pay your money and take your chances.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (12-10-2017)
11-16-2017, 11:53 AM

impossible to keep 20ēC 50% RH here where I live, I live in the northeastern region of Brazil

the MDisc Verbatim DVDR is no tougher than the other discs? they mdisc assume 1332 years at 25 ° C 50% RH constant so what would be the expectation in my conditions January to June 29-30 ° C and maximum water temperature 90% (on rainy days) and from June to December 41% -65% ~ 30 ° C - 35 ° C 6 months rainy season and 6 months dry season? mdisc uses inorganic dye

3 Is there any safer and stronger physical media resistant humidity heat surpassing dvdr and mdisc? usb flash drive, card micro sd???

4 millenniata says the mdisc's glue is differentiated and patented are they lying?
12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

There's a difference between lying and being overly optimistic.

Solid-state media carries it's own longevity risks. As has been said many times before, do both. That will ensure data survival. Copy to drive, optical, SSD, etc. Don't choose one, choose all. What do you think I do? I don't gamble my data, I back it up in triplicate or more. And don't forget printed copies!

You live where you live. With it comes good and bad. My humidity is also above average, though nothing like yours. I deal with it because I'd rather be here than past locations.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (12-10-2017)
12-02-2017, 06:32 PM

1 What are the risks of solid media example: USB Flash Drive? HDD cost dear and I do not need 500gb

2 my estimate is 13 years but is it counted from the date of manufacture? I do not know which year my MDisc Verbatim DVD pin was manufactured I need to find out

3 my humidity is high only a few days of the middle of the year (rainy season 6 months) the other half is very dry and hot I live in the city Limoeiro do Norte state Ceara Brazil

4 in storage conditions the major problem is in the glue and not in the polycarbonate and dye?

please respond questions above
12-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

1. Solid state not archival.
2. 13 years from data of burn. Not entirely accurate here, but good enough for you to comprehend.
3. Sucks to be you? I can't fix your weather.
4. Glue.

You registered in 2013. It's now 2017. You've asked some good questions, but mostly not. You've had about 4.5 year to learn about blanks. I'm not doing this anymore in 2018. If you ask me something I've already answered, I'm just banning you. Same for bumping threads. You'd better choose your posts more wisely very soon. Got it?

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (12-23-2017)
12-23-2017, 04:19 AM

Is optical media the best archival media?

What item protects the cd / dvd and mdisc from humidity on rainy days?

I thought 13 years was counted from the date of manufacture of the disc but you clarified my doubt from the burning of the data on the disc

4) Is it possible with the help of internet search I find out what is the real temperature and humidity during total year days of my city Limoeiro do Norte Ceara Brazil? after figuring this out I make a calculation with the average storage conditions
01-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Free Member

http://www.inmet.gov.br/portal/

might be a source, or point to, the average weather data.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (01-02-2018)
01-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
http://www.inmet.gov.br/portal/

might be a source, or point to, the average weather data.
Does this site only report the current humidity and temperature? I want the average of all the years and 365 days to elaborate an estimate of the optical disks in these conditions
01-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Optical is most archival, yes.
And of the optical formats, DVD single-layer is best.

Temperature-controlled buildings protect from the elements. But you seem to have no such structure, so nothing can be done. You're already doing the best that you can do. In a box, in a cabinet. It is what it is. And I'm tired of talking about it. My answer here hasn't changed in years.

Date of manufacturer does have some effects, but ultimately the burn is what does it. The bonding issue is present from day 1, but the dye-related issues start mostly with burn. So it's honestly a bit of both. If you have unburned discs sitting in humid conditions for a decade, post-burn life may not make it to another decade. This is why dome discs fail in dyes, some in bonding.

You're in coastal Brazil, right near the equator. That's just a rough place to be when you have an item that breaks down in heat and humidity.

For weather data, your government or a large college likely has detailed records. Perhaps they've also conducted some local research on the effects of local climates on optical media.

You're seeking an easy answer where none will exist. That's just life. Sometimes tech mimics life, as it does here.

This site's research is most collected from North America, Europe, and parts of eastern Asia. The middle east (western Asia), Africa and South America simply are not that big in terms of optical media market share. Data on how it performs there is more sparse, but it will also apply to a tiny fraction of our readership.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (01-02-2018)
01-02-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Optical is most archival, yes.
And of the optical formats, DVD single-layer is best.

Temperature-controlled buildings protect from the elements. But you seem to have no such structure, so nothing can be done. You're already doing the best that you can do. In a box, in a cabinet. It is what it is. And I'm tired of talking about it. My answer here hasn't changed in years.

Date of manufacturer does have some effects, but ultimately the burn is what does it. The bonding issue is present from day 1, but the dye-related issues start mostly with burn. So it's honestly a bit of both. If you have unburned discs sitting in humid conditions for a decade, post-burn life may not make it to another decade. This is why dome discs fail in dyes, some in bonding.

You're in coastal Brazil, right near the equator. That's just a rough place to be when you have an item that breaks down in heat and humidity.

For weather data, your government or a large college likely has detailed records. Perhaps they've also conducted some local research on the effects of local climates on optical media.

You're seeking an easy answer where none will exist. That's just life. Sometimes tech mimics life, as it does here.

This site's research is most collected from North America, Europe, and parts of eastern Asia. The middle east (western Asia), Africa and South America simply are not that big in terms of optical media market share. Data on how it performs there is more sparse, but it will also apply to a tiny fraction of our readership.
I do not know the date of manufacture of my Verbatim DVD MDisc but I have the date that the files were burned on that disc, I burned them at the end of 2016 so it is from 2017 that I do the count of the 13 years until the disc dies? I have other unburned mdiscs stored in the pin

MDisc does not use dye it uses inorganic material so the biggest problem would be glue and polycarbonate

sincerely I do not know where I will find the humidity and temperatures of my city Limoeiro do Norte Ceara Brazil all year round
Closed Thread

Tags
question